Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan. Discuss.

est.83

Dec 6, 2003
Estonia
After 5 games, 21 goalkeepers have seen PL action.

3 of them (Fabianski, Begovic, Hennessey) have had more than 20 saves, Maty Ryan has 8 (same as Burnley's Pope in one match). Just Foster and Lloris have made less saves (7 and 5 respectively).

Is it (that the opposition are not getting too much shots on goal) because Hughton's defensive tactics and relatively good team defence or is Ryan just not too good at saving shots (not tall enough?:dunce:)?

I am not saying that they should ditch Ryan completely but would be quite eager to see Krul given a run-out tonight.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

3 of them (Fabianski, Begovic, Hennessey) have had more than 20 saves, Maty Ryan has 8 (same as Burnley's Pope in one match). Just Foster and Lloris have made less saves (7 and 5 respectively).

Is it (that the opposition are not getting too much shots on goal) because Hughton's defensive tactics and relatively good team defence or is Ryan just not too good at saving shots (not tall enough?:dunce:)?

I am not saying that they should ditch Ryan completely but would be quite eager to see Krul given a run-out tonight.

Why would the low amount of saves he has made be an Issue unless he is letting in howlers game after game, It shows our keeper is fairly well protected, Id be intrested to see the amount of blocks made by Dunk and Duffy.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Completely pointless crap stats, that tell you literally nothing of worth, about how well those keepers have played - more just how many shooting chances the defence in front of them are offering up.

As an example of how crap this stat is - there has been one goal that was completely* Ryan's fault this season - Leicester's first. That bit of action will have gone down as one of his '8 saves'.

* and a bit of Suttner.

Don Parasol

Jan 29, 2017

By that reckoning, Hennessy would be one of the top keepers in the league with his 20 saves. Actually, he's conceded plenty (8) and his side are thankfully bottom of the league. Same for Begovic. If there's any correlation at all with those save stats, they'll probably just be higher for keepers in weaker defensive teams.

est.83

Dec 6, 2003
Estonia
Actually, he's conceded plenty (8) and his side are thankfully bottom of the league. Same for Begovic.

Palace have conceded 8, Bournemouth 9. Ryan 7. I don't see huge difference there. Given we would all agree that Brighton don't seem to be 'one of the weaker defensive teams'...

As I said earlier it's not about criticizing Ryan but 5 games into the season he has not impressed me as much as I would have liked.

Don Parasol

Jan 29, 2017
Palace have conceded 8, Bournemouth 9. Ryan 7. I don't see huge difference there. Given we would all agree that Brighton don't seem to be 'one of the weaker defensive teams'...

As I said earlier it's not about criticizing Ryan but 5 games into the season he has not impressed me as much as I would have liked.

Agreed - small differences... Oh well at least he has improved over the last couple of games. Certainly on Friday he couldn't have done anything about either goal.

Yoda

English & European
Did you know Maty Ryan is top of the list for most catches made with 10. 2 more than Thibaut Courtois, Lukasz Fabianski & Ben Foster.

And people were worried about his height and coming for crosses? :lolol:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Completely pointless crap stats, that tell you literally nothing of worth, about how well those keepers have played - more just how many shooting chances the defence in front of them are offering up.

As an example of how crap this stat is - there has been one goal that was completely* Ryan's fault this season - Leicester's first. That bit of action will have gone down as one of his '8 saves'.

* and a bit of Suttner.

Completely agree, although I would add a bit of Murphy to the Leicester goal for giving the ball away and then not tracking back to support Suttner.

It also doesn't reflect how good the saves were. You could have had 20 shots straight at you and be top of the list or have made only 10 saves but they were all amazing. Completely pointless stat that for some reason has been used to try to criticise Ryan (who in my mind has had three solid games since Leicester).

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Frankly, it looks very like you are trying to criticise Ryan and mainly because we have a good defence. Why not support our players rather than trying to find stats to criticise them with?

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Some people would say that it is because of Ryan we are not top of the league. Then having assassinated him they'd move onto Suttner etc.

I'm ok with Ryan. He's not setting the world alight yet, but he's doing ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Some people would say that it is because of Ryan we are not top of the league. Then having assassinated him they'd move onto Suttner etc.

I'm ok with Ryan. He's not setting the world alight yet, but he's doing ok.

Literally hasn't put a foot wrong in the last three games. Can't believe there are still people on his back.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Literally hasn't put a foot wrong in the last three games. Can't believe there are still people on his back.

Agree.

There are areas he can improve for sure, but why would anyone be surprised at that? Distribution might be a bit more confident. But really, I don't think his is a position we need to be looking at to ensure we do comparatively well this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'll probably keep bouncing this..........

But that early save (?after two minutes), absolutely key, and given that is came through a lot of players and took a deflection, was absolutely brilliant........

Looked assured again.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
I'll probably keep bouncing this..........

But that early save (?after two minutes), absolutely key, and given that is came through a lot of players and took a deflection, was absolutely brilliant........

Looked assured again.

That was a brilliant save. Really amazing reactions.

Was getting some stick around me for his kicking, but had clearly been given a strategy to target the full backs, Yedlin in particular.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Pulled off some great saves, the Shelvey corner and the Gayle shot at the end were great too. His kicking was awful, had atleast 3 that went straight out.

Mr Cleansheets

Jun 7, 2017
Pleased to see he is starting to win people over. He really is a tremendous keeper but clearly needed to find his confidence in a new team, city, country, league.

Not saying he's completely found his feet yet but today will have done wonders for his confidence.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Pleased to see he is starting to win people over. He really is a tremendous keeper but clearly needed to find his confidence in a new team, city, country, league.

Not saying he's completely found his feet yet but today will have done wonders for his confidence.
I doubt he's won anybody over...

... they are just biding their time.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here