Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gas and Electricity

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
We have just switched to bulb, on eon we were spending £125 p/m on gas & electricity, now its £82. Another big plus for me was that all the electricity is from 100% renewable sources. If you join via this link you'll get £50 off you first month too���� https://bulb.co.uk/refer/marisa

This concept of I am only using 100% renewable is not actually correct, ALL the electricity comes from a pool of sources and is fed into the national grid, so your electricity has a mix of sources, nuclear, wind, gas and coal fired etc. Basically whoever you pay for your gas and electric, it all exactly the same and comes from the same sources. Your supplier just pays differing amounts to the networks so they pay for the equivalent estimated use from renewable sources. Its like saying to Southern water , I only want water from one reservoir. There is no way of only using renewable electricity, any more than having only one water source delivered to your home.or only UK produced gas.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
I went onto that site switch.which and it shows a £95 per annum saving with IRESA but they do niot participate in the government Warm Home Scheme which is worth £140 per annum so probably best staying where we are.,

This is the problem we have, as my wife is registered disabled we claim that to and I find a lot of the smaller suppliers don't participate in it .

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
British Gas will increase electricity prices by 12.5% from mid-September.

An utterly disgraceful increase. Not helped by the Governments 'Green' subsidy that we all have to pay.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I'm with nPower who quite frankly are appalling but I've never been bothered to switch.

I'm thinking of Ecotricity - anybody have any experience of this company?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
This is the problem we have, as my wife is registered disabled we claim that to and I find a lot of the smaller suppliers don't participate in it .

They're not allowed to as they don't have politician's spouses as non executive directors.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If you use comparison sites, the best figure to use is the tariff comparison rate (TCR) as it factors in both the standing charge and unit price. Otherwise you are trapped in an endless jam of low tariff and high standing charge v high tariff and low standing charge. The TCR tells you which deal is ultimately better.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I went onto that site switch.which and it shows a £95 per annum saving with IRESA but they do niot participate in the government Warm Home Scheme which is worth £140 per annum so probably best staying where we are.,

the moneysavingexpert site has a comparison tool, at regular updates on deals.. www.moneysavingexpert.com

I get regular emails from the Money saving expert, Martin Lewis. This is in today's email, which may be of interest.

Ending Friday. Cheap TWO-YEAR Ovo fix with TOP rated service.
- Avg cost for typical usage: £883/yr (incl £25 MSE cashback split over 2yrs)
- How to find if it's YOUR cheapest: Do a normal comparison, or for ease, use our special TOP PICKS comparison which shows only our selected top picks.

This, rightly, has been the biggest tariff people have switched to over the last week. It's especially good for those who find switching a hassle, as the rate is both cheap and fixed for the next two winters, so there's unlikely to be a need to act again until then. If prices rise, it could look very nifty indeed.

Ovo is a mid-sized firm with 700,000 customers. It's constantly near the top of our customer service poll. Last time 89% rated it 'great', 3% 'poor' (569 votes).

We've been worried Ovo would pull this deal, but after discussions it's told us: "We're happy if you say the deadline for our 2 year fix at this price is Friday". We don't know when on Friday but I'd just go ASAP to be sure. Here's key info:

- The fix lasts exactly two years from the date it starts supplying you.
- You pay exit fees of £30/fuel if you leave early.
- It's available for dual-fuel & elec-only, incl Eco 7.
- Switchers to Ovo get £25 (£12.50 elec-only) Cheap Energy Club cashback.
- Existing Ovo custs can get it but must switch directly with Ovo.
- A fix means the rate is locked in (not the cost, that depends on use).
- You must pay by monthly direct debit.
- If you move home you CAN'T take it with you.
- The Warm Home Discount is available with it.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
If you are thinking of changing to Bulb at all, and apply in the next 7 days, i can give you a ref code that earns you £100 off (and me too..)

A bit shameless, but everyone's a winner, and so far, they've been pretty good in my short stint with them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here