Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I wonder what Burke would have done with all this dosh?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I know football is a game where opinions can be divided, but I really struggle with the good ones he was supposed to have brought in. This includes Baldock, Stockdale and Stephens, all three in my opinion were poor replacement's for the players sold or let go and have not won me over yet.

Ulloa. If he deserves no credit for him then probably not worth going through the long list of everyone else which will naturally contain some duffers but also some hits.
Even the toughest of observers would say , I dunno, it was 50:50.
Good recruitment didn't stop the day he walked in and start up again the moment he left.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Ulloa. If he deserves no credit for him then probably not worth going through the long list of everyone else which will naturally contain some duffers but also some hits.
Even the toughest of observers would say , I dunno, it was 50:50.
Good recruitment didn't stop the day he walked in and start up again the moment he left.

No it took a while for Gus to get p*ssed off and then Burke could bring in who he wanted and it has taken a while to, (we hope) get another worthwhile recruitment team together.

Oscar’s budget was committed to Gus's players plus Kemy. Sometimes budgets sound like managers can spend where in reality Oscar had zero. £4m came in from Bridcutt and Barnes, and Stephens was brought in for about £400k as an emergency because of Crofts injury.

The surplus on player trading for the year was £1.7m.

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
I've always had a feeling that the relaxation of the purse strings was directly linked to TBs confidence in the manager. We know he wasn't overly impress with Oscar and I suspect the same may have quickly become the case with Hyppia too. Maybe now he has a bit more confidence in CH to get the right people in so he's allowed to splash the cash a little more. Of course this may well be just my over active imagination leading me to this assumption.

I've always had a feeling that the relaxation of the purse strings was directly linked to TBs confidence in the manager. We know he wasn't overly impress with Oscar and I suspect the same may have quickly become the case with Hyppia too. Maybe now he has a bit more confidence in CH to get the right people in so he's allowed to splash the cash a little more. Of course this may well be just my over active imagination leading me to this assumption.

Doesn't the playing budget increasing year on year undermine this feeling/premise?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Doesn't the playing budget increasing year on year undermine this feeling/premise?

The playing budget MUST increase year on year just to stay still, because the football economy is spiraling out of control.

I'll concentrate my point down to one position centre back:-

The club employed Upson on big money.
Upson left, leaving the club short of a quality centre back.
The club employs Hughes - free & Halford loan.
Both have now gone.
The club spends £2m on Uwe with an attractive contract.

My point is.
I doubt the centre back pot of money has hardly changed, but an extra £2m has been 'found'..
The club go from quality, to cheap alternatives, to spending big (hopefully) on quality.
It would appear that equation can be rolled out across the team, at a time when the money coming in has, with the exception of not relegated bonus', been minimal.

Why was Burker given the 'cheap alternative' money?

Oh and [MENTION=24827]Justice[/MENTION] the team selection v Derby was a resignation letter, and yet Bloom still didn't take it.
Who knows why.

Last edited:

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
The playing budget MUST increase year on year just to stay still, because the football economy is spiraling out of control.

Both have now gone.

My point is.
I doubt the centre back pot of money has hardly changed, but an extra £2m has been 'found'..
The club go from quality, to cheap alternatives, to spending big (hopefully) on quality.
It would appear that equation can be rolled out across the team, at a time when the money coming in has, with the exception of not relegated bonus', been minimal.

Oh and [MENTION=24827]Justice[/MENTION] the team selection v Derby was a resignation letter, and yet Bloom still didn't take it.
Who knows why.

And the wing position further backs this up. We went from Buckley, down graded to m court and the boro loanes, and now hopefully we have quality again. Like wise, ulloa - ogrady-hemed.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Both have now gone.

My point is.

Oh and @Justice the team selection v Derby was a resignation letter, and yet Bloom still didn't take it.
Who knows why.

We replaced Upson with Dunk, the very "cheap alternative". Halford and Hughes replaced Dunk as back ups.
We replaced a 15 goal a season man with a 15 goal a season man and supplemented a misfiring/injured 3m man with a 2m goalscorer from League 1 and a 10 goal a season man from La Liga. Unfortunately, none of these players managed to live up to their reputations.
We replaced Bridcutt with another "cheap alternative", Ince and supplemented that position with a Dutch first division player who blew hot and cold but was our joint leading assister.
We replaced Buckley/Spanish Dave with a footballing genius that no-one wanted to give a game to, sadly.
Orlandi was replaced by Tex, a loan.

I am not sure Burke was given the cheap alternative money. They just look that way as the strikers in particular all misfired badly.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Who knows why.

But then we were paying 2 salaries instead of one for Halford and Hughes vs Upson.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
As far as I can work out we spent about 3.5million on Baldock(2m), Stockdale 1m, COG 500k last season.

This season: Hemed 700k, Murphy 1.5m, Hunemeier 1.5m.

If the above figures are correct then the only difference in spending will be wages/signing on fees. Bearing in mind none of us know what these add up to how can we say that we've had more to spend this year than last?

What is noticeable about this summers dealings in comparison with last years is that we're signing players rather than loaning them and they appear to fit in with the manager's strategy.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We replaced Upson with Dunk, the very "cheap alternative". Halford and Hughes replaced Dunk as back ups.
We replaced a 15 goal a season man with a 15 goal a season man and supplemented a misfiring/injured 3m man with a 2m goalscorer from League 1 and a 10 goal a season man from La Liga. Unfortunately, none of these players managed to live up to their reputations.
We replaced Bridcutt with another "cheap alternative", Ince and supplemented that position with a Dutch first division player who blew hot and cold but was our joint leading assister.
We replaced Buckley/Spanish Dave with a footballing genius that no-one wanted to give a game to, sadly.
Orlandi was replaced by Tex, a loan.

I am not sure Burke was given the cheap alternative money. They just look that way as the strikers in particular all misfired badly.
Hmmmm.

'Replaced a 15 goal a season man with a 15 goal a season man', is extreme SPIN.

For some reason the MYTH that COG has as good a record as Leo really annoys me.

Ulloa scored a championship goal every 2 games, near enough, ie was a 23 goal a season man.

COG's record is nothing like that.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Warren Aspinall told us the contributing factor to all this. Under Burks reign, when the signings appeared to be getting more and more speculative and loans rather than buys. One of his insightful comments concerned the fact that the Scouts were not being listened too and not one Player had been bought or loaned or looked at on the recommendation of a Scout.
This has been explained by the fact that Burke took his eye off the ball ( football metaphor) and was busy sorting the opening of the Academy, leaving the computer nerds with the algorithm to create the 'Team.'
Today Nerds have a new boss, somebody else is responsible for the Academy. Team looking better already.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Hmmmm.

'Replaced a 15 goal a season man with a 15 goal a season man', is extreme SPIN.

For some reason the MYTH that COG has as good a record as Leo really annoys me.

Ulloa scored a championship goal every 2 games, near enough, ie was a 23 goal a season man.

COG's record is nothing like that.

With hindsight, yes. CoG was a 15 goal a season man in the same league as Leo, so I can understand why the club bought him. He certainly was NOT a 1 goal a season man as he has been for us so far.

The point I am trying to make is that the club did spend money last season, as they are doing this. There was not a cheap option. We are not in a position to replace an outgoing 8m player, with another 8m player coming in. We have to spend wisely and turn a 1 or 2m player into an 8m player. Last season it did not work out. Hopefully this season it will. As far as transfer fees go, this seasons spending is pretty much on a par with last so far, with more to come. The general feeling so far is that it appears to have been spent better.

albionite

May 20, 2009
With hindsight, yes. CoG was a 15 goal a season man in the same league as Leo, so I can understand why the club bought him. He certainly was NOT a 1 goal a season man as he has been for us so far.

The point I am trying to make is that the club did spend money last season, as they are doing this. There was not a cheap option. We are not in a position to replace an outgoing 8m player, with another 8m player coming in. We have to spend wisely and turn a 1 or 2m player into an 8m player. Last season it did not work out. Hopefully this season it will. As far as transfer fees go, this seasons spending is pretty much on a par with last so far, with more to come. The general feeling so far is that it appears to have been spent better.

Cog only did it for one season, never did understand why we went for him. Saying that I don't think he is as bad as some on here make him out to be. Not a goal scorer but does give us something different.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Cog only did it for one season, never did understand why we went for him. Saying that I don't think he is as bad as some on here make him out to be. Not a goal scorer but does give us something different.

And we bought Baldock for 2m as well to supplement him and Colunga - we did not put all our eggs in the CoG basket. Trouble was, all our baskets had holes in last year.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
His predecessor and now his replacement spend money like it's going out of fashion.
While he had to trawl around the bargain basement, loan list, and youth set ups to try a put a team together.

Obviously all the sheep will instantly start bleating on about how shitehouse Burker was, but it's clear he was doing an impossible job with no backing.
Unfortunately for DB he did the job so well, the money he made is going to make his replacement look like a genius.

It's obvious Burker, and by association Who-pier, were sold short by the club.

Gotta feel sorry for the fella.

Absolutely ENORMOUS fishing trip.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
The club employs Hughes - free & http://www.inpublishing.co.uk/kb/articles/off_the_page_ja15_1522.aspx loan
My point is.

Who knows why.

So even though there is plenty of evidence and published
Accounts that show that Sami and Oscar had similar budgets relative to
Gus. (Bigger in cash terms each year true but top 10 or thereabouts every season) you don't
Think that's true. ? Fair enough.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports