Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robin Williams RIP

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Agree and in One Hour Photo. I'm probably the only grown man who blubs at the 'It's not your fault' scene in Good Will Hunting every single time.

The closing scenes of Dead Poets' Society have a similar effect on me.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Good Morning Vietnam is his film that gets to me most. The futility of war and the fact the "enemy" are just people too.

"Gooooood Morning Vietnam! Its O Six Hundred hours. What does the O stand for? Oh My God it's early!"

RIP

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
So sad. Such a lovely man.

RIP.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Very sad news . I watched this unfold last night as the story broke.
One of my fondest memories of him , was how he managed to take over a chat show ( I remember one particular show with Wogan). The only person who could dominate a talk show , without the host uttering a single word and using the time for some very funy improv.
That is the Robin Williams I will always remember .
RIP
Nanu Nanu Shazbut .

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Hearing this news has made me quite emotional and I am not normally prone to outbursts of emotion. I think this can be put down to the fact that Williams had that rare quality of the truly great actors in that he could reach in and touch your soul such was the power of his performances. Dead Poets Society has to be considered one of the greatest films ever made.

RIP Captain.

Agree 100% with this. For me the film that spoke to me was "The Fisher King". where Williams acted someone who had experienced the trauma of seeing his girlfriend shot in front of him and just retreated into a fantasy world, that Jeff Bridges eventually hauled him out of. Sadly a bit reminiscent of my own life. And also with hints of the Hitchcock film "Spellbound" which I used to see often on TV.

Sadly Williams was closer to and English style of comedy, he seemed happier over here on chat shows. And very similar in character to the late great Peter Sellers, I think they both struggled to find their own persona away from the screen.

RIP RW.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
He was a special actor. I wasn't a massive fan of his standup, though there were some real laugh out load moments. I was more taken by his acting breadth - i still love watching Mrs Doubtfire and i grew up with that film always in my collection. I also adore his performance in Good Will Hunting; the music of Elliott Smith (another person taken too soon) introduced me to the film, and Williams' performance was the one that kept me watching over and over.

Depression is an absolute bitch of the condition. I've suffered with it for 6 years and i've learned how to cope with the condition but it doesn't mean that it gets any easier...it doesn't. I just hope that it brings more light onto the condition and to encourage people that it IS ok to speak out about their issues, without fear of being judged or mocked.

RIP.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Superb actor and a stand up routine that in my opinion is hard to better. RIP Robin Williams.
Depression is the biggest thief out there.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
So very very sad. One of my personal favourite lines of his was his description of Jack Nicholson as being 'the only man that Keith Richards would turn round to and say 'I have to go home now Jack' '

Last edited:

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Depression: The hardest illness for non sufferers to understand I think. Why would anyone want to take their own life as a millionaire with a family? Mental illness is a very scary thing, and I hope none of us have or will have to suffer from it.

"Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor... I am Pagliacci."

RIP pal, you were the star of a lot of my favourite comedies when I was younger, and starred in some real crackers outside of the comedy genre.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Robin Williams's death: a reminder that suicide and depression are not selfish

http://gu.com/p/4vkhc

I think we have quite a long way to go before mental issues are accepted as a disease like any other. When I suffered some panic attacks a few years ago I was very much taken by surprise to find I was not in total control lf my own mind. Whatever I "knew" conciously, made no difference to my symptoms, and that was shocking to me.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I see Awakenings is being shown tonight, Sky One at 10. Fantastic. Bet I can't stay awake for it (is there some sort of irony there ?)

As my previous post, it is one of my all time favourite movies, noticed that not many have mentioned it but in my opinion probably his best in a sea of great movies.
Sky have made the right choice

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
As far as I am concerned, Awakenings is his finest work.

Suicide has been confirmed. He hanged himself. Horrible. How long did he stand there with the noose around his neck before doing it? He must have felt such pain and all alone.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
As my previous post, it is one of my all time favourite movies, noticed that not many have mentioned it but in my opinion probably his best in a sea of great movies.
Sky have made the right choice

Indeed. In an extremely wide ranging body of work, I think I like Awakenings the best - not mentioned in any of the TV news obits today. Very much liked The Fisher King too, also not mentioned. Even before todays' news, I very much admired the wide variety of work that he covered, and pretty much all of it watchable, if not enjoyable including Jumanji and Flubber on the light side through to Dead Poets Society etc. at the other end.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I see Awakenings is being shown tonight, Sky One at 10. Fantastic. Bet I can't stay awake for it (is there some sort of irony there ?)

There definitely is because my favourite performance he did was in Insomnia. Maybe I'll be awake until they next show it!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've seen dozens of tributes on FB and Twitter to the point where I've just been 'liking' or fav-ing everyone else's. I wasn't a fan of his more mawkish movies but Good Will Hunting and Good Morning Vietnam are among my favourite movies of all time.

However his genius was stand up. His stand up was brilliant. Manic. Irreverent. Relentless. He was the original guy who made being funny cool as far as I'm concerned. To know that he was effectively killed by a hideous illness that is still sadly misunderstood is just tragic.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
There definitely is because my favourite performance he did was in Insomnia. Maybe I'll be awake until they next show estit!!

Insomnia was imo his greatest ever performance

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here