Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I did a deliberately hilly 14miler yesterday and I went out earlier for a 5.4mile run - including the Hove parkrun course in a leisurely 24something minutes in the middle of the run. Strava let me down yesterday, probably a combination of overuse of GPS (cheers, Pokemon Go!), the wind and my lack of battery strength. Disappointing for it to not track the whole run, I wanted to know my time up Ditchling Road from bottom to top.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
No running over the weekend, went out for a 5km this morning and it was a struggle - 25:26. It did give me the idea of running consecutive 5kms every day this week, to see what happens over the course of the week. Normally I got long run, short run, medium, so I'm interested to see how the body copes with running every day and the same distance every day...

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
No running over the weekend, went out for a 5km this morning and it was a struggle - 25:26. It did give me the idea of running consecutive 5kms every day this week, to see what happens over the course of the week. Normally I got long run, short run, medium, so I'm interested to see how the body copes with running every day and the same distance every day...

I'm trying similar. Doing minimum of 10k every day for a month, mostly on treadmill. Thrown a couple of half marathons in as well, yesterday's was 1:44:01. I think I'm over-doing it a tad as my achilles is feeling very stiff today.
Definitely helping to keep the middle age spread in check though.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm trying similar. Doing minimum of 10k every day for a month, mostly on treadmill. Thrown a couple of half marathons in as well, yesterday's was 1:44:01. I think I'm over-doing it a tad as my achilles is feeling very stiff today.
Definitely helping to keep the middle age spread in check though.

I might work up to that – both in terms of fitness and availability of time. I reckon it's 5kms (building up to a decent parkrun) and then a long run Sunday.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I might work up to that – both in terms of fitness and availability of time. I reckon it's 5kms (building up to a decent parkrun) and then a long run Sunday.

I'm on day 57 of my runstreak* - your legs become accustomed to it.

(* I've picked up a couple of foot injuries so had to take to biking instead of running for a few of those days, but I'm probably at something like 50 run days, 7 bike days so far)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm on day 57 of my runstreak* - your legs become accustomed to it.

(* I've picked up a couple of foot injuries so had to take to biking instead of running for a few of those days, but I'm probably at something like 50 run days, 7 bike days so far)

Excellent. I'm glad to see that the latest injury the other day didn't set you back, Bozza. I'm planning on mixing it up a bit too – reps of the hill around the corner I think tomorrow.

I ran every day in January last year, but that was only doing a mile some days. I've never really been one to run each day, but then I generally do silly mileage and to do THAT every day would be crazy. 5km a day sounds more manageable.

On another point, I've just been reminded of Beat the Tide on Wednesday. Anyone else doing it? It's 10k, I think, so my plan is already potentially going to pot :lol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Excellent. I'm glad to see that the latest injury the other day didn't set you back, Bozza. I'm planning on mixing it up a bit too – reps of the hill around the corner I think tomorrow.

I ran every day in January last year, but that was only doing a mile some days. I've never really been one to run each day, but then I generally do silly mileage and to do THAT every day would be crazy. 5km a day sounds more manageable.

I was out of running action for 3 days in all, so I rode on each of those instead. I probably started running again earlier than I should have done - I still had pain in my foot but I was missing running so wanted to give it a test. So, on Thursday, I did 2 very gentle miles in the morning. It felt OK so later the same day I did the same 2 miles at a faster pace at lunchtime. As it still felt OK, I figured 'kill or cure' and did the same 2 miles in the afternoon with the first being pretty much flat out. Bizarrely, Strava reckons I did both my quickest ever KM and mile as part of that test!

I caught wind of a hashtag #juneathon last year which involved running every day for a month. I managed it, just. 32 runs for 158 miles over the 30 days.

As part of my current streak, this June was 29 runs for 147 miles and 3 (hilly traily) rides for 35 miles.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Very impressed with my first visit to Jesus at Corals today. Too early to say if I'm fixed, but one issue I have with the two other physios I've seen previously is that they just keep setting you up to come back week after week.

Jesus on the other hand simply said follow my advice and in a week you should be fine. If you're not then call me.

Would like to give Park Run a go this week.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Very impressed with my first visit to Jesus at Corals today. Too early to say if I'm fixed, but one issue I have with the two other physios I've seen previously is that they just keep setting you up to come back week after week.

Jesus on the other hand simply said follow my advice and in a week you should be fine. If you're not then call me.

Would like to give Park Run a go this week.

Follow his advice! Saturday is 4 days away. Follow the guru. Listen to his words carefully. He usually gets his time back to running spot on. Usually a day or two, soleus one week, etc. You have a week. Run Parkrun off the pace with a fast finish. Then take it from there. Congrats.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Follow his advice! Saturday is 4 days away. Follow the guru. Listen to his words carefully. He usually gets his time back to running spot on. Usually a day or two, soleus one week, etc. You have a week. Run Parkrun off the pace with a fast finish. Then take it from there. Congrats.

It's almost worth getting injured if seeing Jesus is the reward! I've crawled down the stairs and into his treatment room then 40 minutes later done a tough session in the gym, with jesus's blessing.:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It's almost worth getting injured if seeing Jesus is the reward! I've crawled down the stairs and into his treatment room then 40 minutes later done a tough session in the gym, with jesus's blessing.:

I feel I'm letting him down. I see him less and less. Over 10 years he has treated so many ailments that after any breakdown I can usually follow his stretches and sort most out of them out and do not need to see him.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Anyone else at Beat the Tide tonight in Worthing?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I feel I'm letting him down. I see him less and less. Over 10 years he has treated so many ailments that after any breakdown I can usually follow his stretches and sort most out of them out and do not need to see him.

I'm sure your referrals keep him in Albion season tickets. I've always been able to sort out my dodgy calves with His Stretches but I'd go straight back there if I got a different running injury.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well, safe to say Beat The Tide was my worst race ever. Cracking idea and a good course, but I was gone after the first two miles along the sand to Lancing. Got to the path by the yacht club and had to walk for a bit and never recovered from there. Not being able to anything but a walk-run, I coughed and spluttered my way home, nearly throwing up on the way. Unlike BM I'm not going to worry about what went wrong – a lot of people had a tough race – but I was interesting to note a mate said I looked 'a bit out of it' at the end.

Here it is in all its glory. Lovely evening for it, just wish I could have done it properly. It does, however mean, there is a course PB just waiting to be picked up next year! https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1265426467

So anyway, best way to get over a bad run? Get back out on the street for a confidence-boosting recovery trot this morning... https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1265426482

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Well, safe to say Beat The Tide was my worst race ever. Cracking idea and a good course, but I was gone after the first two miles along the sand to Lancing. Got to the path by the yacht club and had to walk for a bit and never recovered from there. Not being able to anything but a walk-run, I coughed and spluttered my way home, nearly throwing up on the way. Unlike BM I'm not going to worry about what went wrong – a lot of people had a tough race – but I was interesting to note a mate said I looked 'a bit out of it' at the end.

Here it is in all its glory. Lovely evening for it, just wish I could have done it properly. It does, however mean, there is a course PB just waiting to be picked up next year! https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1265426467

So anyway, best way to get over a bad run? Get back out on the street for a confidence-boosting recovery trot this morning... https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1265426482

Now that's what I call getting back on the horse quickly! The 10k was probably a PW (Personal Worst) and these are collector's items as much as PBs. Admire your spirit! (I might be picking up a PW if I venture out for a Parkrun this Saturday.)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Now that's what I call getting back on the horse quickly! The 10k was probably a PW (Personal Worst) and these are collector's items as much as PBs. Admire your spirit! (I might be picking up a PW if I venture out for a Parkrun this Saturday.)

I think you might be right. Not that it was really about the time, but towards the end I really wanted to get done in under an hour, so at least one target (albeit revised) was hit!

This morning was all about sticking with the '5k a day' plan this week as well as proving that last night WAS just a freak of running.

Good luck for parkrun. I'm torn between Worthing and Hove Park at the moment...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not far off a PW myself this morning and definitely shouldn't have posted about injury! Planned a five miler with the middle three at steady state. Pulled up totally after three miles with a weird and sharp pain in my achillies. I was told during marathon training to listen to my body and today it was telling me not to continue or I'd break myself. Walked home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here