Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion's best ever header of a ball

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I have seared in my memory a goal scored by Gerry Armstrong, a bullet header from the edge of the box in an evening game. I can't remember much more than being amazed at the distance the ball travelled after leaving his head and still beating the keeper.

I was young, I was impressionable, someone else tell me Gerry Armstrong was good in the air

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I've seen many generations of Brighton players, and have been fortunate to see the likes of Foster, Young (all 3 - Willie, Alan and Eric), Sammy Nelson, Keith Dublin, Doug Rougvie, Danny Cullip, Nicky Bissett, Chris Cattlin, Martin Chivers, Derek Allan, Gary Hobson, Colin Pates, Paul Clark, Teddy Maybank, Andy Rollings, Neil Mellor, Hans Kraay, Gary O'Reilly, Larry May, Stefan Iovan, plus the modern crop.... but I don't think I've ever been soooo impressed by anyone's heading ability, it terms of raw power, dominance and the ability to head the ball a ****ing long way was

Shane Duffy
Up front, may I add Ken Beamish and Sammy Morgan to the deabate?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Birdcutt was a remarkable header of the ball for a manlet

I was about to post the same. Incredible how many times he won headers against players that seemed twice his size. Somehow you always knew he'd win the ball in those situations.

My memories of Foster are that he loved heading the ball so much that he seemed to do it even when the ball was at knee height.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Worst headerer has to be Rohan Ince - the technique of a kid which was quite annoying given his height! Although he did score a header at Charlton away :)

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Another vote for Alex Dawson. The balls were also much heavier at his time especially when wet.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Only one winner here .

hqdefault.jpg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Big John Napier didn't seem to lose many aerial battles in defence. Up front Bobby Smith was pretty peerless, and as somebody has said, Alex Dawson could head anything - including the keeper - into the back of the net! I seem to remember Charlie Livesey wasn't bad in the air either.
But hey, enough reminiscing - we've got Duffy and Murray now, and they're doing alright!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Alex Dawson and Shane Duffy

..... and as an afterthought, Muzza's headed goal a few days ago against Southampton was fantastically precise.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I have seared in my memory a goal scored by Gerry Armstrong, a bullet header from the edge of the box in an evening game. I can't remember much more than being amazed at the distance the ball travelled after leaving his head and still beating the keeper.

I was young, I was impressionable, someone else tell me Gerry Armstrong was good in the air

I played in goal against him in the 90s in a dads v coaches match. He headed a corner downwards to my left and it was so quick that I was just rooted to the spot. I couldn't believe how hard someone could head a ball. Saying that, I still look back on Roy Jennings as being a colusus and remember his thumping headers back in the early 60s. However, it could be that he was my first favourite Albion player - there was even a bubble gum card with him on from those times - a real collectable when I was at Goldstone Juniors.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Worst headerer has to be Rohan Ince - the technique of a kid which was quite annoying given his height! Although he did score a header at Charlton away :)

Although he's got better of late, Bruno usually avoids heading the ball when he can. Jake Robinson was woeful and who was that player we used to have that was photographed carrying some girl out of a nightclub? He had a fifty pence piece for a head.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Defensive it is a tossup between Foster and Duffy but think Foster edges it. Attacking either Peter Harburn or Bill Curry but for diving headers as opposed to out jumping defenders it has to be Alex Dawson.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here