Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not anti Benitez, I'm just making a point about not going over the top with praise...............I think the issue I have is he may have spent wisely but when you can spend £10 million plus on the likes of Gayle and Ritchie, it is hard to spend badly at this level.

Nobody's going over the top with praise. This conversation started with responses to fatuous comments about Benitez's ineptitude, for example, "But Benitez can't spend wisely, he needs £70m to waste and a further £70m to cover the cracks" and other comments along the lines of all he had to do was to spend the money, anything less than romping home easily 10 or 15 points clear was failure. Total bollox - he still had to do the job, and he did it successfully. That's not making comparisons with CH or anybody else. It's just a fact in isolation; Newcastle are back in the PL, and that, for this season, is a success whether it cost £100M or tuppence halfpenny.
As for it being hard to spend badly at this level, [cough] Gestede..............!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Nobody's going over the top with praise. This conversation started with responses to fatuous comments about Benitez's ineptitude, for example, "But Benitez can't spend wisely, he needs £70m to waste and a further £70m to cover the cracks" and other comments along the lines of all he had to do was to spend the money, anything less than romping home easily 10 or 15 points clear was failure. Total bollox - he still had to do the job, and he did it successfully. That's not making comparisons with CH or anybody else. It's just a fact in isolation; Newcastle are back in the PL, and that, for this season, is a success whether it cost £100M or tuppence halfpenny.
As for it being hard to spend badly at this level, [cough] Gestede..............!

The bits I saw did seem to be going over the top in defence of him, which is why I commented.

As for Gestede, he never cost that much money (my point was a £12 million player will almost inevitably succeed at this level) and he was never bought at this level except by Blackburn, where he did pretty well.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
6 SINGINGS required - 2 Strikers, 1 winger, 1 Def Mid, 1 LB, 1 RB.

+++ possible replacements for Stockdale, Maenpaa, Bong and Sidwell if they don't SING.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'd be happy with Ryan if Stocko is going, as would obviously be the case if Ryan signs - he was mentioned a while back but I wasn't sure how willing Valencia would be to let him go, if that report is to be believed then obviously they are.

Perhaps one of their scouts put in a good word for us...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here