Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The January Transfer Window

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No significant squad injuries right now, correct?

I bet we sign just one player, but someone significant. Worst case, we'll still be 2 points clear of 3rd when the window opens, which has to make BHA quite an attractive prospect to Julio Flairio and his agent.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Hughton was pretty sanguine live on the radio earlier today - really doesn't sound like we'll be doing much at all. Cover/competition for Baldock will be it I reckon, we're pretty well covered in every other position.

Hmmm. He also said before both of our last two games that Murphy was available, only to say after Birmingham that he wasn't. Which is another way of saying, he's not always keen to tell the truth, despite his generosity of demeanour. I might be wrong on this, but suspect that [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION] will be able to provide a better overview.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Of all the names chucked around recently Tex is my ideal January signing.

This. Makes the most sense to me:

- Already familiar with club and surroundings - will fit in off the bat.
- Knows 5-6 players in the squad from before so unlikely to upset team balance.
- Can play either side on the wing or his favoured position behind the striker, which means KLL could go.
- Will cost us nothing so we won't be lumbered trying to offload a Rhodes type signing next year.

Seems that some people think we're going to spunk 10M on a striker to 'guarantee' promotion. I'd be most worried about upsetting the equilibrium of the squad if we brought in a big money striker when Muzza is sticking them away week in week out and Hemed has shown some good signs when coming on lately.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hmmm. He also said before both of our last two games that Murphy was available, only to say after Birmingham that he wasn't. Which is another way of saying, he's not always keen to tell the truth, despite his generosity of demeanour. I might be wrong on this, but suspect that [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION] will be able to provide a better overview.

Learning from a poker player :lolol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In: Hogan, Tex, Frank

Out: Manu, Ince (loan), Towell (loan), Hunt (loan), Maybe we can sell JFC & O'Grady too?
In: Maybe; Yes; No.

Out: Manu - yes; Ince - probably impractical to arrange a loan in current circumstances; Towell - on fringes of the squad - may be needed, so keep; Hunt - until Liam is fit again, our back-up right back - keep; Sell JFC and COG? Won't they be away for free in the summer?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
We just need cover up top, that's it.

Teixeira
Russell
Dack

Any of those will do, probably won't need to call on him much. CH has put his faith in Baldock, we won't be spending big money to 'replace' him as such.

Why do you say Dack? Just curious...ive watched him on the box (not that it tells all) a couple of times and he looks slow and overweight....have we not already got his equivalent in Towell (who doesnt look slow/overweight?)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why do you say Dack? Just curious...ive watched him on the box (not that it tells all) a couple of times and he looks slow and overweight....have we not already got his equivalent in Towell (who doesnt look slow/overweight?)

Is Dack any better than Towell? On the games shown on TV he doesnt look to be up to Championship level.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Having just 24 players really is risking it.

We currently have 26, why reduce that ?

Last season 26 players played more than 90 minutes. I think we were short in the end (play-offs).

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/211/Archive/England-Brighton

I think we ought to keep all our players as we may need them.

Even Manu goes we need to replace him. The same with Ince and Towell. Lualua might be unsettled.

To my mind we have complete a squad. I think they are good enough as well. Could always be better.

Would we have signed Norwood of the Pritchard deal had not been gazumped? If so CH may think we need an attacking midfielder as well?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I'd have a shortlist of 3 players as potential loan signings - Peter Crouch, Joao Teixeira and Jonathan Calleri.

It's so difficult. Goals in League 1 mean little, goals in the Championship will leave you little change of £10 mill, while strikers from the Prem are on huge money.

Even in Spain you're taking a punt. The likes of David Rodriguez - who was sh1t with us - has since bagged 46 goals in 102 appearances for Alcorcon.

Any Prem striker you can get is likely to have been kicking his heels and will want first team action, and Glenn Murray isn't getting dropped any time soon.

I don't think David Rodriguez was really given a chance. Granted he was not a hardworker , his strength was running 'of the shoulder the last player' , he made a lot of runs but the ball did n't come.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
The Asprilla school of thought has some merit (leave well alone) but for me we have to strengthen. Chances don't come better than this one and if we lost a couple of strikers to injury we could still miss out. Is that likely? Probably not, but you cannot take the chance at this point with what's at stake. If Manu goes we need two strikers IMO.

I'd keep Kaz around until the summer regardless he has something to offer and is going to be a known quantity. I'd look for someone young from the lower divisions to replace Ince and if Tex is available he could cover a loan move for Towell who needs games and also offer another option in the no.10 role. I'd like to see one striker capable of playing in the PL from abroad even if that means breaking the transfer record and a young up and coming player from the lower leagues.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I worry if Murray should get injured, or suspended. We do need another goalscorer in my opinion.

Hemed scored 17 goals last season which was his first in the Championship. He is capable of standing in. It's only because Murray is on fire, that he doesn't start games.

We need another striker with pace to compete with Baldock.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes. I do mean Lampard. Don't think we need him but I have a feeling we may sign him.

Based on what ? You're right, we don't need him. I just cannot see CH thinking that we do. The outlay would be ridiculous, and its not a position we're short in, even if Stephens was sold.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here