Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club lose Bennett's Field

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just bought a Bridge parking permit.
Ideally id have gone back to the uni as its just about perfect for me, but my working hours mean I need some kind of guaranteed parking.

Hopefully I will be able to transfer it if any Uni spaces become available.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Interestingly, the landowners are 2 Mr Bennetts of South London, so not the church. Detailed on the application form for the previously proposed car park changes.

The field was owned by the church in the distant past and when it was sold to the Bennetts they may have placed restrictive covenants on the land.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
You need to go through the Coach Park to access Bennett's Field which is owned by Brighton and Hove District Council and on a long lease to the Football Club, as far as I can the site is landlocked and Bennett will need to get the agreement from BHCC and BHAFC for any future development, which presumably will not be forthcoming if he does not play ball.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
So it looks as though 1901 disabled members will still be able to park in Bennetts Field according to the news on the club's website.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I suspect/hope this will get sorted. Almost certainly, it will go to extra time. This issue has the makings of a classic hardball standoff.

Tony Bloom versus the Bennetts? Whose going to blink first?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You need to go through the Coach Park to access Bennett's Field which is owned by Brighton and Hove District Council and on a long lease to the Football Club, as far as I can the site is landlocked and Bennett will need to get the agreement from BHCC and BHAFC for any future development, which presumably will not be forthcoming if he does not play ball.

Actually, I think that the Coach Park is in Lewes, hence some of the nonsense from Lewes District Council back in 2001.

However, you're right about the land being owned by BHCC. The council owns a fair whack of land outside its area of authority, including Downland as far along as The Newmarket Inn.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Actually, I think that the Coach Park is in Lewes, hence some of the nonsense from Lewes District Council back in 2001.

However, you're right about the land being owned by BHCC. The council owns a fair whack of land outside its area of authority, including Downland as far along as The Newmarket Inn.
Yep the Coach Park is in Lewes but owned by BHCC.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009

But who owns the strip of land between Bennett's field and the Falmer Road? Can he not negotiate his own access with the owners or is the field too low?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Really.. I have also used both and found there is not a lot in it

Admittedly I leave on 90 mins with my 2 boys, and sit in the East Upper, so have quick access to the buses. But In fact it took longer to get home the 2 times I used my Friends 1901 parking in the Uni.
Is that for the park and ride? And have you tried evening games? I'm interested as I may try that with my boys but don't want them up too late on a school night.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Is that for the park and ride? And have you tried evening games? I'm interested as I may try that with my boys but don't want them up too late on a school night.

Yes the Mill Road Park and Ride, as I say though we do leave on 90 and are in the East which helps.

Midweek games are more of a pain, but generally thats on the way in rather than on the way out...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Did I imagine this or do the club own the field on the opposite side of village way?

Brighton & Hove City Council own the land. However, it is in the South Downs National Park, and has been returned to farming use.

If you continue the line that the small bridge over the railway line takes (Turnpike Lane) and continue that up to Village Way, all of the stadium site to the west of that line (incl. the North Stand, club offices, club shop, Dick's Bar etc.) is owned by the University of Brighton.

Last edited:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
No planning applications have gone in on any of those yet. While you're right about the club probably needing to look at alternatives, it may be a while away.

Two 8 carriage shuttle trains will shift 1000 every 5 mins direct from/to Brighton, however this will take until 2050 to think through & implement

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Two 8 carriage shuttle trains will shift 1000 every 5 mins direct from/to Brighton, however this will take until 2050 to think through & implement

My money is on 9 o'clock :lol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

By ten to nine? Why then?

20,000 people in 90 minutes through Brighton alone? I don't think the station would cope, let alone the trains.

What about anyone coming from Lewes? Or on the bus? Or walking? Or hired minibus?

The loss of Bennett's Field, in strategic terms, means around 1,500 people (650 cars) have to use the University car park instead. But then, the University car parks are under-used as it is.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
But who owns the strip of land between Bennett's field and the Falmer Road? Can he not negotiate his own access with the owners or is the field too low?

I don't know but there's a dense tree belt along that frontage and I would be extremely doubtful of an access being possible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here