Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Neville

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Is it any disgrace to be beaten 7 -0 by Barcelona on their ground. On their day they are capable of doing that to any team in the world and certainly anybody in La Liga or The Premier League.
Last night is one thing (although a 7-0 battering against anyone is a disgrace for a club like Valencia), but he hasn't won a league game since taking over, and hasn't seemed to show any sign of tactical nous or the ability to change things.

His name got him the job and the chance to prove that he has something about him as a manager - thus far, it doesn't look like he has. Time will tell, of course, but how much more will he be given?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Managers aren't given years now to find their feet and start to change things, I wouldn't be surprised if he is sacked by next week. Trouble is you can start at the bottom and get sacked like Sheringham or start near the top like Neville and still fail, it is not as easy as standing their with a silly screen pointing out everyone else's mistakes.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Last night is one thing (although a 7-0 battering against anyone is a disgrace for a club like Valencia), but he hasn't won a league game since taking over, and hasn't seemed to show any sign of tactical nous or the ability to change things.

His name got him the job and the chance to prove that he has something about him as a manager - thus far, it doesn't look like he has. Time will tell, of course, but how much more will he be given?

Was it his name or his friendship through his Salford club with the owner. who has shares in it,.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
298f5e4f67807d3173297e9948f9b702.jpg

......and what was the score tonight, Fred Kite?

Sucker. Actual quote was...

nev.jpg

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Was it his name or his friendship through his Salford club with the owner. who has shares in it,.
Either way, his chances of keeping it or positioning himself for other jobs rest on how good a fist he makes of the opportunity he's been given. So far...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
They love English managers in Spain

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I equate what Neville did with ''Joy Riders'' They want to drive the car but they don't want to take driving lesson's first.

To take a big job like that, you need to put a good backroom team in place first. He didn't do that - He went in there thinking I can do all the jobs myself. Mark Hughes for instance doesn't take on a job unless he can bring in his full Entourage which is about 10 people or more in various positions. That way he knows he hasn't got people below him waiting for him to fail because he is loyal to them and they are loyal to him.

Neville played under one manager all of his career I think. He learned only one way. OK that Manager was one of the best but the best Managers learn a bit from everyone they work under. He just doesn't have the experience yet. He should have started by managing his own team. People would have respected him more if he had taken that route. I hope he tries again

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I equate what Neville did with ''Joy Riders'' They want to drive the car but they don't want to take driving lesson's first.

To take a big job like that, you need to put a good backroom team in place first. He didn't do that - He went in there thinking I can do all the jobs myself. Mark Hughes for instance doesn't take on a job unless he can bring in his full Entourage which is about 10 people or more in various positions. That way he knows he hasn't got people below him waiting for him to fail because he is loyal to them and they are loyal to him.

Neville played under one manager all of his career I think. He learned only one way. OK that Manager was one of the best but the best Managers learn a bit from everyone they work under. He just doesn't have the experience yet. He should have started by managing his own team. People would have respected him more if he had taken that route. I hope he tries again
Correct. He also only played under one manager who had complete control and total respect from the bottom to the top of the club. Love him or hate him Ferguson had that which is why it's been so difficult for Man U to replace him despite chucking tons of cash about.

GN (although he seems a sound bloke) has a huge ego so probably thought he could emulate Ferguson by walking in and throwing his chalkboard knowledge about. It's not that simple to get everyone on your side especially at a big club in a foreign country.

As others have said he'd have done better starting at a lower league English club and would probably have been successful.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I always remember many years ago, when Richard Keys' right hand man Andy Gray was approached to go and be a manager or maybe assistant manager at somewhere like Everton, Villa or Rangers, he said something along the lines of Why would I want to go do that when here on Sky I can be an expert on the TV and never be judged on results

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I always remember many years ago, when Richard Keys' right hand man Andy Gray was approached to go and be a manager or maybe assistant manager at somewhere like Everton, Villa or Rangers, he said something along the lines of Why would I want to go do that when here on Sky I can be an expert on the TV and never be judged on results

Before going on to say "and the girl who brings me tea here is a RIGHT PIECE OF TOTTY who I'd like to HANG OUT THE BACK OF" .........................................allegedly.

The Neville things just goes to show, NO ONE knows how a manager will do before they start at your club.

This is why it drives me MAD when the albion are looking for their next manager and people say "oh I don't want him, he was crap at that club" or "I want him, he was good there". Sure, you'd feel more confortable hiring a manager with some sort of track record but it's no guarantee. People made the assumption that because Neville speaks well on TV, he MUST know how to manage. Bizarre.

Manager of the season this year is Claudio Ranieri. Look over his record at clubs since Chelsea, it's hardly spectacular and I clearly remember fans of Leicester being surprised and somewhat bewildered when Ranieri got the job.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Will he go back to sky or join the list of failed mangers chasing good jobs?

I guess all aspiring mangers really want the Baby Jesus gig, but they're about 2,000 years too late.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Before going on to say "and the girl who brings me tea here is a RIGHT PIECE OF TOTTY who I'd like to HANG OUT THE BACK OF" .........................................allegedly.

The Neville things just goes to show, NO ONE knows how a manager will do before they start at your club.

This is why it drives me MAD when the albion are looking for their next manager and people say "oh I don't want him, he was crap at that club" or "I want him, he was good there". Sure, you'd feel more confortable hiring a manager with some sort of track record but it's no guarantee. People made the assumption that because Neville speaks well on TV, he MUST know how to manage. Bizarre.

Manager of the season this year is Claudio Ranieri. Look over his record at clubs since Chelsea, it's hardly spectacular and I clearly remember fans of Leicester being surprised and somewhat bewildered when Ranieri got the job.

I wish I could find the clip of it, but one one programme there were (I think) 4 pundits who unanimously said Ranieri's appointment was a mistake.........

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Managers also need one of 2 things when they take on a new job. These were things that were probably in place at Valencia but their loyalty to Neville may not be there yet.

1. A good crop of talented players to work with or a good group of youngsters coming through and generally they don't have the former because the previous manager wasn't sacked for nothing.

OR

2. A good scouting network to bring in new players. One thing you really cant underestimate in the turnaround in Albion's fortunes from last year to this year is the part played by Ewan Chester. He is a very important part of what CH has brought to the club. Not only can Ewan spot a good player but he can find them within the budget available. He also has his own network of connections around Europe

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
To be fair, at least he's making a real effort to speak Spanish.

Doesn't win you games, granted...

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Haven't a huge amount of sympathy for him.

He got the job because his mate owns the club and he would be the first to dish it out if he was watching that Barcelona game as a pundit.

If he was the down to earth, grass roots guy he likes to paint himself as, then he should have taken over at Salford City which is also owned by Lim. Think his ego has got the better of him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here