Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barber and Finance Discussion (separated from match thread)

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Fair play but......
With FFP looming and a £14m+ deficit in the last accounts?

Then the club have a made a monstrous misjudgment somewhere, they can't expect record season ticket sales, pie sales, shirt sales, pint sales and continue to serve shit on the pitch. I'm not expecting/demanding success but our attacking options don't even closely resemble an adequate championship set up. It will be disastrous if we drop into League One, a decent striker could stop that and I'm pretty sure the club would prefer that to 10,000 st's at the Amex in the division below

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
thread_police_badge.jpg

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Then the club have a made a monstrous misjudgment somewhere, they can't expect record season ticket sales, pie sales, shirt sales, pint sales and continue to serve shit on the pitch. I'm not expecting/demanding success but our attacking options don't even closely resemble an adequate championship set up. It will be disastrous if we drop into League One, a decent striker could stop that and I'm pretty sure the club would prefer that to 10,000 st's at the Amex in the division below

Best post of thread for me...

Richard Tiltmans Shin Pad

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q

I whole heartedly (Spelling?) agree, but its the 20+ goals strikers / productive wingers / attacking midfielders that cost the money....we have what we have so we can pass FFP. Yes, it sucks. Yes, the penalties for those who chose to flaunt it won't be enough........but......Fulhams parachute payment is BIGGER than our turnover !!!!!!!! Do the math!!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Back to being Skint but on completely different level. The board have ****ed up big time. There is no getting away from it. Our house is too big and our budget too small.

9000 next season if we're lucky which will result in the club being in near collapse

quite right. we should enquire if the Withdean is available to use so that we can reduce costs, and mothball Falmer. come back to it in a decade or so. i wonder if we could rent it to a rugby club?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
TB dictates the overall strategy.

Barber hasn't unilaterally decided that most of the transfer sales income, not be spent on new players, against the owner-MD's (his employer's) wishes. Only TB would have decided he was going to use much of that cash, as a one-off way of reducing this year's losses and reducing the amount of cash he'll have to inject in 2014/15.

The results are a further big fall in squad quality, with fall guys Barber and Hyppia coping much of the fans flak. Barber's salary makes that unfair criticism palatable to him.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I don't like Barber - perhaps he is fantastic at his job, perhaps he isn't - but regardless I resent this corporate, soulless "business" that our beloved football club has become since he has arrived.

"One club, one ambition" "be bold" - oh just **** off.

Exactly my thoughts, the club has lost it's soul since his appointment.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
WTF happened here? I didn't start this thread. I'm watching the 10 o'Clock news and having a beer.

Mods? ???

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I was always under the impression that Bloom was a gambler

You're wrong then. He has made his millions by complex analysis of sport that gives punters (who have a lot of money) a very slight edge over the bookies. That's not gambling.

Gamblers are people like me that bet for a bit of fun, but are on the wrong side of the probability/odds equation, and we always lose in the long run.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You're wrong then. He has made his millions by complex analysis of sport that gives punters (who have a lot of money) a very slight edge over the bookies. That's not gambling.

Gamblers are people like me that bet for a bit of fun, but are on the wrong side of the probability/odds equation, and we always lose in the long run.

According to previous threads about TB's wealth, the betting business wasn't a success we were informed, and he made almost all of his money from property.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't like Barber - perhaps he is fantastic at his job, perhaps he isn't - but regardless I resent this corporate, soulless "business" that our beloved football club has become since he has arrived.

"One club, one ambition" "be bold" - oh just **** off.
Nope. As I said last week, no one would give a tuppeny fck about any of this corporate bollox if we were winning football matches. But we're not, so it looks ridiculous and comes across as money grabbing as if we're diverting efforts into areas that don't matter at the expense of what is going on, on the pitch where is DOES matter to ALL of us.

The mistake being made I think is that the club is insensitive to this. They should be lying low while results are poor. As far as I;m concerned, they can feel free to crank up the marketing machine and quickly, when we're doing well.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I moved the discussion from the match thread as it was derailing it and I rather enjoyed your post, so thought that would be a good place to start.

Oh - okay. Thanks for the explanation. I've only had a couple of Grolsch so I was sure I would have recalled starting a new thread.

No worries.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Nope. As I said last week, no one would give a tuppeny fck about any of this corporate bollox if we were winning football matches. But we're not, so it looks ridiculous and comes across as money grabbing as if we're diverting efforts into areas that don't matter at the expense of what is going on, on the pitch where is DOES matter to ALL of us.

The mistake being made I think is that the club is insensitive to this. They should be lying low while results are poor. As far as I;m concerned, they can feel free to crank up the marketing machine and quickly, when we're doing well.

I would still give a **** even if we were running away with the league and we beat Spurs. The club has turned into everything I hate about modern football and is more a business then a football club.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

On a similar vein, the 'Amex match day experience' with the new band stand, Reynolds shouting on the PA system before and after the game, the video footage of a montage of goals before the game to loud music ..... all mean so very little to me, compared to the Albion's performance on the pitch and results. Their marketing theory seems to be along the lines that all the razzmatazz and buy-a-pint-and-a-hotdog-for£x makes us want to go back. To most fans, I reckon results and a feeling of team momentum, are the main drivers of wanting to keep attending games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here