Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
There is something of the Flat Earth perspective on show here - but I'm afraid it's on your side of the fence. Let's accept that economically things are going to get worse if/when we leave The only things we don't know

a) how much worse?
b) what does it look like in the longer term?

But sure it won't be like the Y2K predictions - planes falling out of the sky etc. And we'll have those lovely blue passports!

And bridges, don’t forget the bridges. Trumptastic

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
How many times does the EU have to say, if you leave, you leave, theres no a la carte deal for you, before they start getting it?

For once I agree with the EU - fine, lets just leave. The problem being that May is pussyfooting around remainers. I'd have told Tusk and his corrupt gang to sling their hooks by now.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Interesting listen with Nick Robinson interviewing Anna Soubry whichever side of the brexit/political fence you are. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05z5mgx

At the start, from a less impartial perspective, and if you want to know what th rest of Europe is thinking - “It reminds me of Apocalypse Now when Martin Sheen is walking in a trench and he asks another soldier, ‘hey soldier, do you know who’s in charge here?’ and he replies, ‘ain’t you?’ French car industry leader.....

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
For once I agree with the EU - fine, lets just leave. The problem being that May is pussyfooting around remainers. I'd have told Tusk and his corrupt gang to sling their hooks by now.

Fortunately our leaders know that simply just leaving without a deal would leave us screwed. Seriously.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I think this sums up the situation perfectly. When it was a simple yes/no vote, you always used to put together arguments for leaving and what and how it should be done, even though most remainers wouldn't agree with you.

But now the real situation is becoming clearer, all the things kicked into the long grass are coming back, and our negotiating position is laid bare for all to see.

And your reaction to it, is to have a temper tantrum and jump into bed with [MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION] (metaphorically) :lolol:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I think this sums up the situation perfectly. When it was a simple yes/no vote, you always used to put together arguments for leaving and what and how it should be done, even though most remainers wouldn't agree with you.

But now the real situation is becoming clearer, all the things kicked into the long grass are coming back, and our negotiating position is laid bare for all to see.

And your reaction to it, is to have a temper tantrum and jump into bed with [MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION] (metaphorically) :lolol:

Not a temper tantrum - just I wouldn't give in to the bullying and blackmail. Hungary and Poland don't give in to the EU - nor should we.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Despite the fact that Tusk is saying the UK Brexit plan is.. an illusion.... im sure marching into negotiations waving our blue passports and saying, were British, lets have none of your nonsense will work.
How many times does the EU have to say, if you leave, you leave, theres no a la carte deal for you, before they start getting it?

Tusk needs to take a hard line because thats what the EU does. give nothing away until actual negotiations, even in negotiations until the last minute. for months people have been saying theres no plan for post-brexit, now theres a basic plan (no meat on the bones yet), its dismissed without discussion? this "a la carte" trope is just part of their negotitions, if they dismiss it we're back to no deal or end brexit. any deal will involve keeping parts of current arrangment and dropping others, after all that the EU are doing insisting on so many rights and conditions.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Tusk needs to take a hard line because thats what the EU does. give nothing away until actual negotiations, even in negotiations until the last minute. for months people have been saying theres no plan for post-brexit, now theres a basic plan (no meat on the bones yet), its dismissed without discussion? this "a la carte" trope is just part of their negotitions, if they dismiss it we're back to no deal or end brexit. any deal will involve keeping parts of current arrangment and dropping others, after all that the EU are doing insisting on so many rights and conditions.

They have repeatedly stated. If you leave, you leave. You cannot cherry pick a deal.
The only 'negotiations' is how to break apart. Why the hell should the EU say, yeah ok, you can still have the benefits, without being in the club.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
They have repeatedly stated. If you leave, you leave. You cannot cherry pick a deal.
The only 'negotiations' is how to break apart. Why the hell should the EU say, yeah ok, you can still have the benefits, without being in the club.

ok so why do they insist on so many rights remaining for EU citizens? sounds like they are wanting to maintain benefits, their deeds do not match thee words.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove

Because the EU would gain from it too.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Giving in?
UK says it wants to leave the EU.
EU says, go ahead. If you leave, you leave.
Thats not blackmail, or bullying. Its a reality.

Then why do the EU want to do a deal ? Because they also lose out if we just leave without one.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

You mean she should :flounce: I think that would be :shootself

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
ok so why do they insist on so many rights remaining for EU citizens? sounds like they are wanting to maintain benefits, their deeds do not match thee words.

Because they are guaranteeing the rights of British citizens in the EU.
People who have lived in the EU for years, the same as EU citizens living in the UK have for years.

Not a lot to do with trade, and the EU is a trading block.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Im cancelling my membership to this club!
Ok sir

Week later. Can I come in?
No, its a members only club.
Cant I just use the bar?
What about the restaurant?

Why are you being so mean!!! You will benefit from receiving my money!
What part of, no its a members only club are you not understanding?

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Ok sir

Cant I just use the bar?

So why is the EU even talking if it's only an in or out deal?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Ok sir

Cant I just use the bar?

I think you have been living in the east far too long ....................

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Ok sir

Cant I just use the bar?

Indeed. And then finally, after more and more desperate approaches the club says, ok, to come in for a drink here, here are our (onerous) terms. Your choice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here