Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I know you like freedom and taking back control and the democratic will of the majority etc.............

What do you think of this?

[tweet]964804329201852416[/tweet]

I'm sure you're thrilled. Likewise if Scotland or Northern Ireland chose their own path, you would be well happy too, surely?

Always nice to see a picture of the delightful Rita.

I would be disappointed if any part of the UK voted to leave but yes, I respect the outcomes of free, fair, legal elections that are recognised by the international community. Not really an issue though as support for breaking up the UK has either diminished or is relatively unchanged since the referendum ... which is odd as many remainers claimed a vote to leave would make it far more likely.

Rita Ora was born in Kosovo. And the country declared independence 10yrs ago pretty much to the day.

Or am I missing something?

Saturday evenings you have to allow for :drink: intake.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Just to let the thread know that according to today's S Times someone has found 37 (aka "nearly 40") clever people to group together as "Brains for Brexit". So many!

(Sadly they all appear to be experts at one thing or another - theology, a couple of economists and so on - so I suppose we have to ignore them.)

But those leading the Brexit charge don’t believe in “experts”, surgeons, mechanics, economists et al, they have wasted their time. Perhaps “experts” are ok again now? ???

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
10% of a 28 nation community. Quite a large proportion, wouldn't you say? Each country also has a veto. Still the Brexit mantra is Taking Back Control, When we've never lost it.

Less than 10% ..... no I wouldn't.

There is one MEP for every 880,000 British voters, The EU average is one MEP for 486,000 voters. Also, our MEPs don't vote as a block their minimal influence is further diminished as they are spread out amongst numerous political groupings. A reminder that my initial point was having the democratic accountability to remove our government, equating this power to voting for a few MEP's is laughable.

Veto you say. Have you heard of something called Qualified majority voting (Extended to cover numerous new areas after the Lisbon treaty.)?

hixhagemann1novemberfigure1b.png

Figures-3-and-4.png

Never lost it indeed :facepalm:

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Less than 10% ..... no I wouldn't.

There is one MEP for every 880,000 British voters, The EU average is one MEP for 486,000 voters. Also, our MEPs don't vote as a block their minimal influence is further diminished as they are spread out amongst numerous political groupings. A reminder that my initial point was having the democratic accountability to remove our government, equating this power to voting for a few MEP's is laughable.

Veto you say. Have you heard of something called Qualified majority voting (Extended to cover numerous new areas after the Lisbon treaty.)?

hixhagemann1novemberfigure1b.png

Figures-3-and-4.png

Never lost it indeed :facepalm:

The vast majority of which has improved life in the UK. Shorter working hours, another Bank Holiday, health and safety rules, and maternity leave.

A friend of mine married a Dutch pilot when she was in the Wrens. He died suddenly when he was in his 40s, but she had two sons, both of whom live in Holland.
She returned to the UK, and remarried. Her second husband has heart problems so cannot get travel insurance, but because we're in the EU we have reciprical health care. She can go over to Holland without any problems, send gifts to her grandchildren, without paying customs or additional taxes etc.
Next year, that will all be taken away from her. This isn't just about politics, but people's lives.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The vast majority of which has improved life in the UK. Shorter working hours, another Bank Holiday, health and safety rules, and maternity leave.

A friend of mine married a Dutch pilot when she was in the Wrens. He died suddenly when he was in his 40s, but she had two sons, both of whom live in Holland.
She returned to the UK, and remarried. Her second husband has heart problems so cannot get travel insurance, but because we're in the EU we have reciprical health care. She can go over to Holland without any problems, send gifts to her grandchildren, without paying customs or additional taxes etc.
Next year, that will all be taken away from her. This isn't just about politics, but people's lives.

You’ve got this all wrong. [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION], [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION] and the others all told me quite clearly we can still go to Europe as we did before.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Putting the democractic accountability/representation point to one side then.

All current EU regulations/law are being directly transfered to UK law. (most) Workers in the UK are entitled to over 5 weeks holiday, EU law only guarantees 4 weeks. The UK has 52 weeks statutarory maternity leave, EU law only guarantees 14 weeks. Health and safety legislation existed before the EC came along.

Reciprocal healthcare is set to continue for retirees already living in other EU countries. Agreement has yet to be reached in other areas. Which restrictions on travel, gifts and extra taxes etc will happen after Brexit then?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

All current EU regulations/law are being directly transfered to UK law. (most) Workers in the UK are entitled to over 5 weeks holiday, EU law only guarantees 4 weeks. The UK has 52 weeks statutarory maternity leave, EU law only guarantees 14 weeks. Health and safety legislation existed before the EC came along.

Reciprocal healthcare is set to continue for retirees already living in other EU countries. Agreement has yet to be reached in other areas. Which restrictions on travel, gifts and extra taxes etc will happen after Brexit then?

He doesn't know. Just shit stirring again

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Do you really think successive UK governments will uphold workers' rights?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-workers-rights-jacob-rees-mogg-a7459336.html

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I'd love to see an actual pro's and cons list put up somewhere, currently we are losing so many things and only gaining blue passports.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I'd love to see an actual pro's and cons list put up somewhere, currently we are losing so many things and only gaining blue passports.

We could have had blue passports at any time. We chose to have maroon passports last time around. It's not even going to be the same shade of blue, but lighter.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We could have had blue passports at any time. We chose to have maroon passports last time around. It's not even going to be the same shade of blue, but lighter.

So that means we having to lose freedom of movement and trade with Europe for " Getting our Country back " ... what a deal !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

So would I. Apart from “getting our county back” I have heard **** all for the Brexiteers. To be fair you have spoken about free trade deals with non-EU nations but when you’ve got a shit load of free trade already in place with the biggest block in the world I cannot see any real benefit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

And if there is one symbol of the backwards looking Brexiteers it’s a blue passport. At least have the imagination to think up something new for the fresh start you’ve been banging on about.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Ask your Dutch mates about the stunning paternity leave for new fathers over there. I think it’s two days. Compare with the UK. I’m not sure where this assumption the UK wants to punish workers comes from.

It's called a Tory government.

Two days paternity leave? There was no paternity leave when my two children were born here in the 70s. Not even 1 day.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Groovy glum gang out in force today. From what I've seen in the Sunday papers the EU seem to be taking a more lenient stance. Starting to get a little worried about security

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here