Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pre- footie pubs back in the day. Where did you go?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Goldstone era: Hove Park Tavern or the pub with the micro brewery just down from Hove train station, think it was called the Hedgehog and Hogshead?

Withdean era: The Station or the Long Man of Wilmington

Amex era: Usually only drink at the ground nowadays

Just realised i've missed out the Gillingham era pub which would have been the Cricketers

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
One for the non Brighton based fans back in the Goldstone era.
We used to have a car full every home match, leaving Tunbridge Wells at about 11am.
We used to stop off at The Five Bells in Chailey, which was run by the ex wrestler Joe Cornelius, I was about 17 or so, it had a great vibe on a Saturday lunchtime and Whitbread Pompey Royal was very popular.
The mate who had the car always had too much to drink, the rest of us were all pissed.
I remember stopping at some traffic lights in Brighton heading towards Old Shoreham Road and the mate in the front passenger seat wound down his window and yelled at the really hot woman "Oi love give us a kiss", she came over and stuck her head through the window and snogged him, sticking her tounge right down his throat and putting her hand down his shirt, then walking away, good old Brighton.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Talking of strippers. One of the buildings next to the Mithrus House P&R was a pub back in the 70's and had strippers on at lunchtimes. Once again a few jars and back in the car to work. Different times.

Remember it well and the Clarence Portslade Friday lunchtimes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
One for the non Brighton based fans back in the Goldstone era.
We used to have a car full every home match, leaving Tunbridge Wells at about 11am.
We used to stop off at The Five Bells in Chailey, which was run by the ex wrestler Joe Cornelius, I was about 17 or so, it had a great vibe on a Saturday lunchtime and Whitbread Pompey Royal was very popular.
The mate who had the car always had too much to drink, the rest of us were all pissed.
I remember stopping at some traffic lights in Brighton heading towards Old Shoreham Road and the mate in the front passenger seat wound down his window and yelled at the really hot woman "Oi love give us a kiss", she came over and stuck her head through the window and snogged him, sticking her tounge right down his throat and putting her hand down his shirt, then walking away, good old Brighton.

Wasn't a woman though. See- he shouldn't have been drinking.....

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Very occasionally Corals, but mostly The Stadium at the bottom of Holmes Avenue.
Decent jukebox, cheap pool table, free car parking all added up to great Saturdays, spoilt only by the football !

Oddly enough, one of the female bar staff there during 92-97 ish, and whom i didn’t properly meet til 2002, is now my supervisor at work, and sits next to me at The Amex.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
In the Goldstone days if someone drove The Bolney Stage was our preference. However more often then not by train we would use the Belfast, pool table was always damp!

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Railway Bell... then when the police started causing a fuss, a lot if us moved to the Eclipse... short walk to the ground.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Go on then. What's your journey?

35 miles takes on average 1 hour. Yours is all motorway.

I just don't see yours as a long journey, that's all, but I do drive approx. 1000 miles a week for work so it all relative.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Goldstone era used to have lunch/beers in the Royal Sov in Shoreham, then the exchange post match quite often.
Withdean era was the station @ PP
Gillingham was always driving. . .

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Back to the strippers at the Ship, Lewes Road. The show would start around 12:30 with a promise of total nudity after 2:00 which meant no one got back to work in time and were too drunk to do any work anyway.
So, when are we reopening the pub for P&R fans, just for old times sake of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here