Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Religion - the Church of England - what future?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Either the debate is done or the proof is so beyond our comprehension that we can't possibly even scratch the surface.

IF there is a god that created everyone and everything why does anyone then assume us, the god's mere creations, could possibly understand him/her/it? Surely logic tells you that would be impossible.

your argument doesnt use logic, you have an assumption based on belief, then use that to back up the belief.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hypothetical

If you are a miniscule part of something created by a god, would you expect to understand your creator?

Weasel words. Weasel. I''m out.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Maybe you're a god?

You claim to know what 200,000 people didn't want.

And you seriously think they wanted to die? Good god, are you a moron?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Harry, you are calling me a weasel?

Just to make sure I know where I stand with you, in case we should bump into each other this coming season.

Describing your words. Weasel words, for sure. Why? D'you wanna fight or something? I'm an old bloke with a gammy knee so you will probably win. :shrug:

I jumped back in after jumping out....some of your posts on this thread are beyond belief. Even your own :shrug: I even had to temporarily unblock the unlovely [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION] since it seems (and I was right) we are in agreement about something. :mad:

I feel I may have to shoot myself now. Fortunately I can cash in a confession and go directly to Heaven. Hallyloo Jah Rasta Fari. :shootself

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm going to call this. You've been drinking.

Well I hope you have.

Just turn the other cheek, and....

Smile serenely. Always works, right?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Describing your words. Weasel words, for sure. Why? D'you wanna fight or something? I'm an old bloke with a gammy knee so you will probably win. :shrug:

I jumped back in after jumping out....some of your posts on this thread are beyond belief. Even your own :shrug: I even had to temporarily unblock the unlovely [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION] since it seems (and I was right) we are in agreement about something. :mad:

I feel I may have to shoot myself now. Fortunately I can cash in a confession and go directly to Heaven. Hallyloo Jah Rasta Fari. :shootself

Firstly you called my words weasel, then me a weasel. Face to face this would be fighting talk. Yet you seem happy to use them on the internet.

Instead of frothing at the mouth, point out to me my posts that you say are beyond belief. Have a debate. At the moment you are sounding like a hypocrite because earlier in the thread you jumped down the throat of a poster for doing the same.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Hypothetical

If you are a miniscule part of something created by a god, would you expect to understand your creator?

maybe, as you asked of someone else, i am a god. you havent defined what you expect of a god, and i wont be so bold as to make assumptions.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Firstly you called my words weasel, then me a weasel. Face to face this would be fighting talk. Yet you seem happy to use them on the internet.

Instead of frothing at the mouth, point out to me my posts that you say are beyond belief. Have a debate. At the moment you are sounding like a hypocrite because earlier in the thread you jumped down the throat of a poster for doing the same.

I called your WORDS weasel. Not you. My repetition of the word may have been misinterpreted....

My main gripe earlier was someone (may have been you, maybe someone else) dismissed a whole post of mine with no explantion then said they were too busy to engage. I invited a debate and was ignored. You want to debate? Go ahead. But reverand Chumley Warner style platitudes and the like is, in a very real sense, just simply passive aggressiveness.

Tony Benn once eviscerated Richard Dawkins by defending Christmas as a lovely excuse for family gatherings and reflection, with no need to bring god along. Dawkins (the silly old sod) was left wordless.

If there is a god I don't like the way he sits back while people do disgusting things to children. The idea that the dead children will go to Heaven does not remotely reassure me this is part of a Plan. To have my concerns about what I see as the delusion of religion dismissed as the stupidity of an unbeliever (what else can a believer say?) is insulting.

You come across generally as kindly and well meaning. I have probably tugged your sleeve enough. Neither you nor I will know who is right until we die. The only difference is that you believe you are right, whereas I lack any evidence that I am wrong, and don't dwell on the issue.

I am watching my tropical fish swim about in their tank right now. One of them may talk to me tomorrow, But I lack any evidence to suppose this is likely. Whatever. In contrast, your belief will hold, which is what it is supposed to do I imagine. In the end, it probably doesn't matter either way.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I am watching my tropical fish swim about in their tank right now. One of them may talk to me tomorrow, But I lack any evidence to suppose this is likely. Whatever. In contrast, your belief will hold, which is what it is supposed to do I imagine. In the end, it probably doesn't matter either way.

This makes an interesting read. No conclusive answers but can definitely broaden the mind on this subject:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/starts...ence-prove-the-existence-of-god/#146f6a335ada

PS In relation to your point about the fish. I did once make an octopus laugh. I gave it ten tickles.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Even if its completely wrong, and nobody knows. I reckon people believing in an after life will generally be happier during this life, than the atheist's depressing final vision of the end.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Even if its completely wrong, and nobody knows. I reckon people believing in an after life will generally be happier during this life, than the atheist's depressing final vision of the end.

Agreed. What a grim belief. Hardly helps through the bad times.

Daddy where's mummy gone after that car crash?

Look petal, she's dead and that's that. No more Mummy. When you die, your body's energy will just disappear into the land of nowhere. Your Mum is gone forever. Don't even hope you'll one day see or feel her in the afterlife. She's not watching down on you. Don't even bother sending out hope or prayers to her when times are tough. That's just a load of made up crap. She a goner and that'll be the same for you when you die.

Thanks Dad, I feel so much better now.

No problem. Better you know now rather than wasting your time acting with integrity. Now where's my fish tank?

Last edited:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
The sooner the better that ALL religions get kicked into touch they are completely irrelevant and continuously poison folk against each other and the sooner we can get back to disliking people because they’re rsoles and not because of their religion the better

Absolute total garbage. From someone who hasn't got a clue what they are talking about.

And to the OP, you went to ONE service at ONE church and based a whole argument on that? Good grief.

I wonder what you would have written if you had gone to this gathering instead? I'm sure there were plenty of Anglicans there, and not so many over 60.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This makes an interesting read. No conclusive answers but can definitely broaden the mind on this subject:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/starts...ence-prove-the-existence-of-god/#146f6a335ada

PS In relation to your point about the fish. I did once make an octopus laugh. I gave it ten tickles.

Thanks for the link. The last section comes out of nowhere...."If we don’t find life in the places and under the conditions where we expect it, can that prove the existence of God? Certainly, there are people that will argue that it does. But to me, that’s a terrible way to place your faith.". This all seems a little needless in the context....and not as amusing as Douglas Adams' musings on the works of Oolon Colluphid.....:wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Maybe I'm an exception. I find life to be delightful, even the challenges. The athiest I know are not gloomy either. Contented and focused on the here and now, would be a better discription. Surely it is much worse for the Christian - constantly worrying if they are being good enough for salvation - the prospect they may not get into Heaven, and may end up with Satan's red hot poker up their jacksy instead?

But I certainly agree that belief in an afterlife will cheer up some people whose lives are unbearable. As long as they don't think about it too deeply. That was a point I made earlier when referring to Bertrand Russell and his comments on the invention of religion (a point, incidentally, that was dismissed out of hand, along with my other points, by one of the belivers on this thread)....anyway

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Agreed. What a grim belief. Hardly helps through the bad times.

Daddy where's mummy gone after that car crash?

Look petal, she's dead and that's that. No more Mummy. When you die, your body's energy will just disappear into the land of nowhere. Your Mum is gone forever. Don't even hope you'll one day see or feel her in the afterlife. She's not watching down on you. Don't even bother sending out hope or prayers to her when times are tough. That's just a load of made up crap. She a goner and that'll be the same for you when you die.

Thanks Dad, I feel so much better now.

No problem. Better you know now rather than wasting your time acting with integrity. Now where's my fish tank?

You'd prefer to tell a child a load of lies? Well maybe this is justifable when they are a child - father Christmas and all that....but it still doesn't mean that god exists :shrug:

I am bemused by the emerging idea that athiests are all sad unfulfilled fearful miserablists. That seems like a rather smug and condescending view. :shrug:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
You'd prefer to tell a child a load of lies? Well maybe this is justifable when they are a child - father Christmas and all that....but it still doesn't mean that god exists :shrug:

I am bemused by the emerging idea that athiests are all sad unfulfilled fearful miserablists. That seems like a rather smug and condescending view. :shrug:

Are they lies, because you don't believe it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here