Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Final nail in the coffin for “I can’t get away tickets”

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Simple truth is the reason these tickets have come down to members and even anybody is because it's on TV, there are no trains back, it's peak holiday season. Take away that perfect storm and there will be no tickets available lower down the pecking order for the 'glamour' ties later in the season.

No doubt the more loyal fans will leave some tickets for the less glamorous games like last season, Burnley, Stoke, Newcastle, Huddersfield.

Simple statement of fact.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Simple truth is the reason these tickets have come down to members and even anybody is because it's on TV, there are no trains back, it's peak holiday season. Take away that perfect storm and there will be no tickets available lower down the pecking order for the 'glamour' ties later in the season.

No doubt the more loyal fans will leave some tickets for the less glamorous games like last season, Burnley, Stoke, Newcastle, Huddersfield.

Simple statement of fact.

So what ? you got a ticket. I would imagine you also got tickets for Liverpool and Man City away last season. Glamour games late in the season available because of a different 'perfect storm.' Tony Bloom personally devised this scheme because he wanted to incentivise the long term and continuous holding of season tickets. I reckon he has earned the right to make that decision. Put simply you don't make the same financial investment in the club as a season ticket holder so you don't get priority. Despite this there will always be games that you can attend.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Basically people were moaning they couldn't get an Arsenal ticket because it was relatively early in the season (tix sale) even tho they went to the Goldstone once in 1968 and were declaring their undying loyalty. Yet of course nowhere to be seen when it comes to Stoke or Burnley.

Be interesting to see if its the same this year. I'm guessing that whilst it will be sold out it will get down to second, maybe third tier as its a soulless ground and people have now ticked it off.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
So what ? you got a ticket. I would imagine you also got tickets for Liverpool and Man City away last season. Glamour games late in the season available because of a different 'perfect storm.' Tony Bloom personally devised this scheme because he wanted to incentivise the long term and continuous holding of season tickets. I reckon he has earned the right to make that decision. Put simply you don't make the same financial investment in the club as a season ticket holder so you don't get priority. Despite this there will always be games that you can attend.

Calm down, I'm not, and have not complained about the system, merely pointed out a fact. Liverpool away last season I could not get, Man City yes because of the re-arranged date etc etc.

I bow to your financial commitment to the club and wish you well in maintaining it.

...and yes I too think Tony has earned the right to do what the f... he wants.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
We drove to Everton and Liverpool last season, Not enough of us can make it this time round which is a shame, but as people have mentioned, plenty of chance for away tickets if you can be bothered to put in the hard hours.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Still 177 Liverpool tickets left, so looks like going to General Sale, who'd have thought with so many moaning about the ticket system

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I would think the same issue at most clubs to be honest - there has to be a way to run the system and it sounds like yours is about as fair as it gets. At Sunderland we have something similar and our first game is Luton which has sold out quite early in the loyalty point standings which means many cannot go. However as we only have 1000 tickets why should it not go to those who week in week out watch us especially with how bad we have been in recent seasons.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Still 177 Liverpool tickets left, so looks like going to General Sale, who'd have thought with so many moaning about the ticket system

I didn't imagine I would be anywhere near getting a ticket, so as long as there's still some at 9am tomorrow morning, I shall be a happie chappie.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
“I can’t get an away ticket... it’s not fair”

Liverpool tickets are on sale to bronze members

“Ah yeah but can’t get back by train, it’s on the TV.... it’s not local”

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Capture.JPG

To be fair to [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] I think you are missing his point. If you are keen to go to lots of away games as well as home games you'll probably be a ST holder. If you want to go to a very small number of away games and a few home games, you are probably not a ST holder. But that should not give you entitlement to away tickets equal to that of a ST holder.

If you live way up north and can ony make a few northern away games, you'll probably have made some contingency planning, as the 'flying seagulls' always do. If you have no season ticket but fancy a few London away games, you'll use your network and connections if you have any. If not, you probably have an unwarranted sense of entitlement. I don't see why a non season ticket holder should expect to get priority over a ST holder, especially a ST holder who travels away a lot too, for a few thousand oversubscribed tickets to away games. Perhaps they might get the opportunity to bump themselves up the list by paying some money?

Oh. :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've sat in some extremely nice home fans seating areas wearing Brighton blue and white at an away match many a time.

If you are not a hooligan most will accept you as a fellow football fan.

I have sat (etc etc) but never with my BHA shirt on display. It would have been utterly disrespectful, like going round a non-smoker's house and sparking up, or going round an observant Jew's house and popping open a packet of smokey bacon crisps.

Also....I have never seen it (away shirt in a home end). Do you do this often? Do you have some unrevealed 'charm' that keeps you safe?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You can argue about the cost of football but the fact is that most stadiums in the Premier League are full. There are plenty of things that you have to make choices for regarding cost. That said, with regard to the cost of bronze membership perhaps the cost should only reflect the admin costs for the club to run that element of the scheme.

Well....my guess is this is probably pretty much the case....TB does not strike me as someone hell-bent on soaking your average BHA supporter.

FFS

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Still 119 LIVERPOOL tickets available, down to purchase history now.

You mean that anyone who has bought a ticket through the club in the last seven years for any game, home or away, can buy a ticket for an away game against a top 6 side?

I thought it was a closed shop; I might have to reconsider my position.

Albion my Albion

Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I have sat (etc etc) but never with my BHA shirt on display. It would have been utterly disrespectful, like going round a non-smoker's house and sparking up, or going round an observant Jew's house and popping open a packet of smokey bacon crisps.

Also....I have never seen it (away shirt in a home end). Do you do this often? Do you have some unrevealed 'charm' that keeps you safe?

I usually strike up a conversation with the home fans near me and let the other fans see that I'm just a regular football fan. I 'm older (57) so I'm not such a threat and I'm usual alone, although sometimes with my Mrs. or son. I guess I look like a harmless sort of fellow. I get the a few odd stares and a comment about how I should sit in the away fans section.

Of course I'm used to being somewhat of a spectacle when I bring up my religion.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA

In agreement but also highly doubt there's any actual pork in smokey bacon flavored crisps :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I usually strike up a conversation with the home fans near me and let the other fans see that I'm just a regular football fan. I 'm older (57) so I'm not such a threat and I'm usual alone, although sometimes with my Mrs. or son. I guess I look like a harmless sort of fellow. I get the a few odd stares and a comment about how I should sit in the away fans section.

Of course I'm used to being somewhat of a spectacle when I bring up my religion.

:lolol: yeah....

Actually now I think of it there was an old bloke at Withdean who had a Barrow (I think) bobble hat (blue and white, at any rate) who used to amuse us with his comments, such as "Oy ref! Its people like you that give b'stards like me a bad name'.

For providing entertainment of such quality his hat was overlooked. May have been different had it been cerise and zaffre stripes, of course.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
View attachment 98730

To be fair to [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] I think you are missing his point. If you are keen to go to lots of away games as well as home games you'll probably be a ST holder. If you want to go to a very small number of away games and a few home games, you are probably not a ST holder. But that should not give you entitlement to away tickets equal to that of a ST holder.

If you live way up north and can ony make a few northern away games, you'll probably have made some contingency planning, as the 'flying seagulls' always do. If you have no season ticket but fancy a few London away games, you'll use your network and connections if you have any. If not, you probably have an unwarranted sense of entitlement. I don't see why a non season ticket holder should expect to get priority over a ST holder, especially a ST holder who travels away a lot too, for a few thousand oversubscribed tickets to away games. Perhaps they might get the opportunity to bump themselves up the list by paying some money?

Oh. :shrug:

Why should a season ticket holder who attends the same number of home games as someone buying on a game by game basis and only goes to a few, if any, away games have priority over the non-STH who attends as many away games as possible?

Why should a fan who only attends but a few home games gain priority over one who goes to many more games simply by paying for ‘membership’?

These questions didn’t arise when there wasn’t a queue for season tickets. Now however I know a number of fans who go to almost every home game, buying tickets on a game by game basis.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why should a season ticket holder who attends the same number of home games as someone buying on a game by game basis and only goes to a few, if any, away games have priority over the non-STH who attends as many away games as possible?

Because he/she has a season ticket. The number of people attending all the home games on a game by game basis is FAR outnumbered by those who have a ST. And if someone wants to attend all home games they are daft to not buy a ST, because it is loads cheaper, and it has perks. And please don't say they may not have the money. Especially if they go to loads of away games too. They are simply not budgeting properly. They have the freedom to improve their place in the queue by buying a ST or not. Their choice.

Why should a fan who only attends but a few home games gain priority over one who goes to many more games simply by paying for ‘membership’?.

I didn't say that. I said they could bump up their place in the queue buy buying 'membership'. Obviously I meant versus other people in the same place in the queue. Thus if you are a season ticket holder and go to every away game, you could boot yourself above identical others by paying £20 say. That may be useful in massively oversubscribed games, e.g., away versus a rival for a Uefa cup place late on in the season. Edit: I don't know if the club runs such a scheme, but it makes a lot of sense to me.

These questions didn’t arise when there wasn’t a queue for season tickets. Now however I know a number of fans who go to almost every home game, buying tickets on a game by game basis.

Well that's their choice. I have a season ticket and I expect to be in front of your mates in a queue for an oversubscribed away game. :shrug:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Why should a fan who only attends but a few home games gain priority over one who goes to many more games simply by paying for ‘membership’?

Away games do not generate any money for the club. Tony Bloom has invested 200m + so it is perfectly reasonable for him to devise a system that prioritises those who also contribute by committing to a regular contribution ie a season ticket. Fans in the top tiers have been continuous season ticket holders since the AMEX opened ie just like Tony they haven't bailed out. If your mates go to most home games without a season ticket that means they can't get one (as anything else makes no sense) which kind of means they have turned up just to watch premier league football.
You get out of life what you put in. If you want to watch the glamour away games then you need a season ticket and the commitment to go the less glamorous aways over several seasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here