Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Gender pay gap

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
Presumably that doesn't take players and manager into account.

The -0.6% does take the players and manager into account (as it is a median figure, not average). The fact that a Premier League football club can legitimately and accurately state that their gender pay gap is negative surely means that the whole exercise is misleading.

If we didn't have a women's team, the median for women would presumably be lower and the gender pay gap figure would be in favour of men.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
DZ3r_nXX0AAUoRi.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The -0.6% does take the players and manager into account (as it is a median figure, not average).
Ah I see. A median average, not a mean average. All completely pointless.

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008
The -0.6% does take the players and manager into account (as it is a median figure, not average). The fact that a Premier League football club can legitimately and accurately state that their gender pay gap is negative surely means that the whole exercise is misleading.

If we didn't have a women's team, the median for women would presumably be lower and the gender pay gap figure would be in favour of men.

We PAY our women’s team?!! No wonder the club makes such as loss if it’s subsidising the cost of running a professional women’s team that play in front of a few hundred supporters (and sweaty sex pests).

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I disagree, having a broad overarching figure is helpful.

If the average male worker is earning 20/30% more than the average female worker, then that does suggest something; either society generally undervalues women or woman earn less essentially through choice, or a combination of both.

And what is an average worker exactly? And how is it illustrated in the data?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I managed a person who was paid £12k a year more than I was, I am paid more than my manager who is a female.

My manager has not delivered and managed large projects and services like I have, my manager is far more ambitious than I am but we are at different points of our careers.

Should my manager be paid more than me ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We PAY our women’s team?!! No wonder the club makes such as loss if it’s subsidising the cost of running a professional women’s team that play in front of a few hundred supporters (and sweaty sex pests).

We as in Tony Bloom.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Once again with there is some very bad misreporting by talking about pay instead of earnings. For example, in my place of work if you took the raw statistics of teachers then the earnings of men are higher than the earnings of the women. The simple reason being that a large number of females at the company CHOOSE to work part-time. In terms of PAY, there is no difference whatsoever, male and female teachers get paid exactly the same for the same roles. In my view this means that there is no pay gap whatsoever.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Once again with there is some very bad misreporting by talking about pay instead of earnings. For example, in my place of work if you took the raw statistics of teachers then the earnings of men are higher than the earnings of the women. The simple reason being that a large number of females at the company CHOOSE to work part-time. In terms of PAY, there is no difference whatsoever, male and female teachers get paid exactly the same for the same roles. In my view this means that there is no pay gap whatsoever.

The numbers reported are standardised to hourly earnings, so in your example the gender gap would be 0%.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
The numbers reported are standardised to hourly earnings, so in your example the gender gap would be 0%.

Agreed. The issue being that the feminist narrative continues to say that men get PAID 18% more than women which just isn't true, they EARN 18% more as they are more likely to be in full time work than part time. There are the odd cases whereby there is unfairness such as the BBC figures but in nearly every company men and women get paid EXACTLY the same in like for like work.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
in nearly every company men and women get paid EXACTLY the same in like for like work.

And if they didn't get paid EXACTLY the same those companies wouldn't be acting in accordance with the law.

These numbers aren't about whether men are paid more than women for the same specific job. Rather if, on average, men are paid more than women overall, which they are.

If that is bad or good (or neither), or the reasons for that gap are not part of this analysis.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
And if they didn't get paid EXACTLY the same those companies wouldn't be acting in accordance with the law.

These numbers aren't about whether men are paid more than women for the same specific job. Rather if, on average, men are paid more than women overall, which they are.

If that is bad or good (or neither), or the reasons for that gap are not part of this analysis.

We know that men earn more than women because on average they do longer hours, females are more likely to work part-tome especially after having children. So, this whole analysis seems rather futile.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
It may be a waste of time but it fits a narrative that is desperately being pushed despite it not being true, so expect it to continue.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
It may be a waste of time but it fits a narrative that is desperately being pushed despite it not being true, so expect it to continue.

This is the issue for me, constantly having the discussion that men get paid more than women in the UK when they do not. The reporting of the '18% pay gap' makes people believe that men are paid more for the same jobs, carrying out a quick analysis with people and this indeed does seem to be the accepted belief.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
I remember a QI show where the question was about whom was paid more at Wimbledon men or women. The Answer was women. They played less sets than men so the money they received per set was more than the male players... again just statistics. I know my job published theirs it showed men got more bonuses but that we paid the same bonus to men as women. It was just that more men were in doing the role that paid a bigger bonus. The problem they have is getting the women to do this role.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The sad reality is that women in business are generally not as good as men. That’s a fact. They are great at many things but if you took ten average men and ten average women the men would be better 8/10. They have more drive, are less volatile and work harder. They also cry a lot less and accept constructive criticism much better. Men here fore deserve to be paid more in business. I base that on 25 years of business.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Typical government/media/public knee jerk response. Someone correctly reports inequality as an issue and the whole thing goes turbo, people get outraged, everything gets dropped and rather than addressing the issue everyone wants to blame someone and make someone pay. Just quietly introduce some legislation that redresses the balance and we can all get on with our lives in hopefully, a more equal environment.
The problem with people these days is they want immediate compensation and immediate heads rolling. Simply effecting change so future generations can benefit is the furthest thing from people's minds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here