Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Does Donald deserve some credit for getting Kim to the table ?

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
https://www.ocregister.com/2016/11/...ge-county-goes-blue-in-presidential-election/

Orange County voted for Clinton, am I missing something here? Or are we going all Liverpool and talking about HISTORY?

I wrote the last 100 years, as in historical past. The average has been very heavily in favour of the Republicans, as it states in the link to the OC Rag you posted:

"For first time since Depression, Orange County goes blue in presidential election."

So to answer your question for you, yes, you really are missing something here.

:shrug:

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I wrote the last 100 years, as in historical past. The average has been very heavily in favour of the Republicans, as it states in the link to the OC Rag you posted:

"For first time since Depression, Orange County goes blue in presidential election."

So to answer your question for you, yes, you really are missing something here.

:shrug:

Oh right, so we are going back to HISTORY. Apologies if you don't like the linked site btw, it was the first one that came up on Google.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Trump is a complete maverick but no way Obama or any other USA president would have made it happen imo. Strange times we live in

It is certainly true that none of Trump's predecessors would have given the fat controller a moment of their time. However politics is 'war by other means' and it will be interesting to see whether this 'tremendous news' amounts to as much as the tremendous Mexican wall and the other bold initiatives that Trump has so far failed to deliver.

Anyway the deal has brought Denis Rodman to tears, so I'm IN! (for now). Hats off to The Donald! :bowdown:

Hang on.....any Korean war vets still alive? I wonder what they would think of this?

Time for an historic deal with Cuba, perhaps....next stop Venezuela.....?

Apologies if this has all been covered above - inspired by the Donald, history for me starts right here, right now, in my own tiny mind tank.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't see the harm in Trump agreeing to meet Kim. I mean, opening dialog has never been a bad thing has it? In fact, I do wonder what the point of others flatly refusing to do so has ever achieved. And that's as much credit as I'm giving either of them.

Call me when something actually happens. Nothing worthwhile has happened here whatsoever, except we get to see Fat Kim outside his own country for a change. Meh. Meanwhile, Trump remains a total moron setting the world back 2 decades (you don't have to be and idiot to believe that, by the way), and Kim presides over a starving, failing land where people disappear to gulags. All this rock star treatment for the pair of them makes me sick.

This. It is easy to forget the torture and murder when dear leaders smile, and we smile back. How we love a Big Brother. And a piece of paper waved in jubilation.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But he doesn't mind if he destroys peace in an area where he can't take the credit (eg, the middle-east) if he can pretend he's done something elsewhere, which he can attempt to take credit for. It's not peace he wants, it's credit.

Yes. This one was a total no brainer for Drumf. Breeze in, sit in a locked room giggling with the Fat Controller for a couple of hours, do a press conference that reveals absolutely nothing, then **** off back to America with all those who love a success and a strong leader creaming their jeans. Meanwhile Drumf is off he hook for a while, giving him time to get on with his main objective, which is to further enrich himself and his closest family and associates by gorging on the all the things that his office allows him access. What a man.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
daddy.jpg

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think we need some historical perspective here, because Trump is being made out to be a superhero in some quarters. However, most of the US presidents of the last 40-odd years can claim some significant foreign policy successes:

1. Nixon ended the Vietnam War and signed the Shanghai Communique, establishing meaningful dialogue with China.
2. Carter brokered peace between Israel and Egypt.
3. Reagan worked with Gorbachev to bring about the fall of communism.
4. Clinton helped broker The Good Friday Agreement and helped end the war in Yugoslavia and facilitated the transition of those countries into the free states we see today.
5. Obama got Bin Laden, helped create the Paris agreement on climate change and opened the doors for relations with Cuba.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I think we need some historical perspective here, because Trump is being made out to be a superhero in some quarters. However, most of the US presidents of the last 40-odd years can claim some significant foreign policy successes:

1. Nixon ended the Vietnam War and signed the Shanghai Communique, establishing meaningful dialogue with China.
2. Carter brokered peace between Israel and Egypt.
3. Reagan worked with Gorbachev to bring about the fall of communism.
4. Clinton helped broker The Good Friday Agreement and helped end the war in Yugoslavia and facilitated the transition of those countries into the free states we see today.
5. Obama got Bin Laden, helped create the Paris agreement on climate change and opened the doors for relations with Cuba.

Obama got Bin Laden is impressive. Trump got to shake hands with a nasty human rights abuser whilst Xi Jinping directed.

Which of these would the Trump supporters prefer? Follow the Leader.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Obama got Bin Laden is impressive. Trump got to shake hands with a nasty human rights abuser whilst Xi Jinping directed.

Which of these would the Trump supporters prefer? Follow the Leader.

Read 'The Silk Roads' by Peter Frankopan and you will see that US foreign policy for the past 70 years has been absolute sh!te!

Nixon,Carter,Bush(es),Clinton and Obama have been useless!

Irrespective of what people think of Trump he has (probably but not yet confirmed) done more than anyone to secure a nuclear free future for the Korean peninsular. I don't particularly like or dislike him but give him a wee chance to prove the doubters wrong...please?

Can we now please concentrate on the World Cup and why North Korea didn't qualify?

Thanks

TNBA

TTF

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Read 'The Silk Roads' by Peter Frankopan and you will see that US foreign policy for the past 70 years has been absolute sh!te!

Irrespective of what people think of Trump he has (probably but not yet confirmed) done more than anyone to secure a nuclear free future for the Korean peninsular. I don't particularly like or dislike him but give him a wee chance to prove the doubters wrong...please?

Can we now please concentrate on the World Cup and why North Korea didn't qualify?

Thanks

TNBA

TTF

I thought my post was great. In fact, it was really great folks.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Thanks

TNBA

TTF
On balance, I like the fact the US President is talking to NK, because I firmly believe that dialogue is always better than not speaking. It doesn't matter to me that Kim has always wanted a summit like this - the point is that nothing ever changes without talking, and you only have to look at Northern Ireland for proof of this.

But that said, don't kid yourself - he hasn't come remotely close to securing a nuclear free Korean peninsular yet.

What he has done though, is go against the widely accepted international view that Jerusalem is not Israel's capital until a settlement is negotiated with Palestine, and has directly caused the deaths of 90 people in the West Bank. He has also almost certainly started an international trade war that in the long run will benefit nobody - including his own people, and upset his closest allies (Mexico - the wall, Canada/Germany - tariffs and general rudeness).

Forgive me if I'm sceptical that any good will come of this Trump/Kim summit. Give it a month or two, some US adviser will say publicly that NK need to denuclearise, NK will tell them to mind their own business, and before long both governments will be descending to the previous ignorant dotard/fat bus conductor rhetoric - all via Twitter obviously.

well my bizarre dream didnt come true. I feel asleep in front of the tv when this was being discussed and dreamt that it was all a ploy for Kim to get Donald alone and then assassinate him and declare himself ruler of the world ! (gulp...) Now THAT would have been a story and i wonder how many Americans would have been slightly glad as well as shocked...hmm anyway in answer to the OP my simple answer is: I live in Hope that it worked. If not we arent really any worse off - at least South and North seem a lot closer which alone will reduce the tension in the region.

It would be really interesting to know what Kims motives are. Is he just into Power/Respect and wants to rule or is he more into money - you could argue that he retains wealth by virtue of restricting the rights of his subserviants. But i liked the tweet from Donald suggesting that the beaches in NK would be great real estate :) If Kim is in it for more money then maybe seeking to end the hostilities and allowing some level of capatilism in the country will help him get money ..interesting times ahead

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here