Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Gardeners' Question Time

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Go retro, remove the middle terrace and level out, should be enough room then for a Ford Cortina, through the rusted floor pan of which, you can plant a budleia.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Thanks. Is your advice to clear it all out to clean soil and if so what is the best way to do that? Do I need to improve the soil? I think I read that wild flowers like poor soil but will bulbs be OK with that?

Sorry to ask more questions bit I am confused about what the aim is in terms of a "look" for different months of the year and my best timeline for the initial project.

No problem. Clearing the worst will be well worth it. Get rid of the grass and dig over the soil. Dig in bags of compost. Bulbs and wild flowers aren't too bothered about soil quality.

You're not going to be able to plant the bulbs until the autumn now so you've got some time. The problem with the wild flowers is that you're going to have some time where you've got stuff coming through that looks like weeds but you won't know if they are until the flowers come out. I'd probably do the shrub thing on two levels - get an instant impact - and then maybe a wild meadow on the other. You can then sow the spring bulbs between the shrubs later in the year.

Might be worth a chat with [MENTION=2019]jevs[/MENTION] - he really knows his onions ( well flowers and plants ! ) - as the photo below shows.

Rockery.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If you really want to clear out all the weeds/grasses, after thoroughly removing out all roots, cover the area with weighed-down dark polythene sheets for the entire 2018 growing season.

You'd then have obliterated 99% of weed roots, ready for planting as you wish.

It will be a huge time saver in the end.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If you really want to clear out all the weeds/grasses, after thoroughly removing out all roots, cover the area with weighed-down dark polythene sheets for the entire 2018 growing season.

You'd then have obliterated 99% of weed roots, ready for planting as you wish.

It will be a huge time saver in the end.

This ! Although it doesn't work for the dreaded bindweed !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Plant the whole bed with spuds and veg, this will be your one chance to get some practice in before Brexit.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Oh no that’s lovely...what I am thinking about is petty in a way but once you’ve got one bit, then soon it’s all over the
place

Valerian (Centranthus ruber)?

With regards to the original post, Jack Straw has summed it up pretty well (he's learnt everything from me!!!!)

I would suggest you sit there for a few months and decide what you would like. Scent, roses, annual bedding plants, shrubs, herbaceous perennials, tropical planting, Dahlias, wildlife, wildflowers, sensory, foliage. lots of colour, low maintenance, high maintenance, pots and tubs....even herbs and veg as already mentioned to name but a few ideas.

You will probably change your mind several times so take your time and do a bit of research.

If it was mine, i'd probably spray the lot with Glyphosate and then the lower section would be covered in a membrane and then plum coloured slate chippings and then matching set of maybe 10 blue ceramic tubs filled with seasonal bedding and spring bulbs (lots of bright colours)
The middle section would be wild flowers and the top would be exotics or Dahlias.

If you're ever around the rockery opposite Preston Park, pop in for a chat.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Valerian (Centranthus ruber)?

With regards to the original post, Jack Straw has summed it up pretty well (he's learnt everything from me!!!!)

I would suggest you sit there for a few months and decide what you would like. Scent, roses, annual bedding plants, shrubs, herbaceous perennials, tropical planting, Dahlias, wildlife, wildflowers, sensory, foliage. lots of colour, low maintenance, high maintenance, pots and tubs....even herbs and veg as already mentioned to name but a few ideas.

You will probably change your mind several times so take your time and do a bit of research.

If it was mine, i'd probably spray the lot with Glyphosate and then the lower section would be covered in a membrane and then plum coloured slate chippings and then matching set of maybe 10 blue ceramic tubs filled with seasonal bedding and spring bulbs (lots of bright colours)
The middle section would be wild flowers and the top would be exotics or Dahlias.

If you're ever around the rockery opposite Preston Park, pop in for a chat.

That’s the one..how could I forget it’s name :facepalm:

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Not sure I like the idea of using roundup as many of these weed killers have an impact on wildlife.

I've used Glyphosate in fully stocked ponds before to kill invasive waterlilies and bullrushes with no impact on the environment. I use it sparingly in the Rockery and I have a fantastic array of amphibians, birds, insects and mammals.

I have, however, grown a second head and I have webbed feet since i started using it!!!!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I've used Glyphosate in fully stocked ponds before to kill invasive waterlilies and bullrushes with no impact on the environment. I use it sparingly in the Rockery and I have a fantastic array of amphibians, birds, insects and mammals.

I have, however, grown a second head and I have webbed feet since i started using it!!!!

I found it most weird when I discovered that you could spray Glyphosate in ponds. It didn't make sense but you can and it works without harming the pond life. Roundup was classed as non-hazardous when I used to have to work. I doubt if it's been reclassified to the contrary.
I can confirm that Jevs has a second head, webbed feet, and makes great coffee.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

I'll bow to your usage based view rather than my third party view on modern products. Maybe these weed killers have moved on from my previous (old) experience of using them.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I found it most weird when I discovered that you could spray Glyphosate in ponds. It didn't make sense but you can and it works without harming the pond life. Roundup was classed as non-hazardous when I used to have to work. I doubt if it's been reclassified to the contrary.
I can confirm that Jevs has a second head, webbed feet, and makes great coffee.

thanks Jack well I will go with the experts...I know the rockery and its wildlife well so if it is surviving then must be ok though I will probably stick to hand weeding while i am physically able.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
thanks Jack well I will go with the experts...I know the rockery and its wildlife well so if it is surviving then must be ok though I will probably stick to hand weeding while i am physically able.

And, of course, there's absolutely wrong with traditional methods...we hoe and hand weed where ever possible However, weeding the rock garden's paths by hand can take several weeks.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
What is the best way to go about buying and applying the glyphosphate? Is it worth buying a backpack sprayer to use domestically? We have a fair amount of paving etc that it would be good to spray regularly too.

Backpack sprayers vary hugely in price. Is there likely to be any problem with a cheap version?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here