Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Youth football fines

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Junior bite yer legs Hut.

Not really just the inability to accept any refereeing decision against either himself or the team he was in however only one red card.

Currently managing whilst sorting out a torn cruciate ligament, not been sent from the dugout as yet.........

macky

Dec 28, 2004
It was not the other team The ref was from our team He was pressure into changing his mind
My gripe is a £35 fine for a 12 year old Like I said the ref had made his decision Until the other manager started to have a go at him

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It was not the other team The ref was from our team He was pressure into changing his mind
My gripe is a £35 fine for a 12 year old Like I said the ref had made his decision Until the other manager started to have a go at him

What gripe ?

When you registered your son to play for his team it included conduct within the rules of Sussex FA, fines etc

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Not really just the inability to accept any refereeing decision against either himself or the team he was in however only one red card.

Currently managing whilst sorting out a torn cruciate ligament, not been sent from the dugout as yet.........

Give it time...

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Yep, it's called a deterrant. May seem harsh but if you are going to try and encourage kids to play football then they have to play by the rules. £35 wil include an admin fee.
I have been involved with youth football for thirty years and agree that some of the rules and methods that the Sussex County FA adopt are a bit draconian, but at the end of the day most of the people involved there are volunteers, just like those of us involved with football clubs. There are many things wrong with youth football, especially with the quality of referees, most of whom are unqualified and just mums and dads helping out. If you want a qualified ref then you have to pay for them (even of you can fimd one). This in turn increases the costs of running clubs and puts up player subscriptions. Most issues would be resolved by an increase in volunteers who are prepared to take some form of qualification - sadly too few people want to spend their leisure time volunteering.

How is fining boy for his first offence Going to encourage him £10- £20 fair enough But £35 And if they are volunteers Why is the admin fee so high I get charged less Admin by my insurance company

macky

Dec 28, 2004
The law also states that they cant enforce a fine for a schoolboy so they can go and whistle
No gripe but try to find out what the fines are on their website cant be found anywhere Like I said it's excessive for a kid

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Is his management style the same?, as in an inability to accept any refereeing decision against his team.

Not going to be setting a very good example to his players if so. A bit of a worry if it's a kids team he's managing.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
What gripe ?

When you registered your son to play for his team it included conduct within the rules of Sussex FA, fines etc
The law also states that they cant enforce a fine for a schoolboy so they can go and whistle
No gripe but try to find out what the fines are on their website cant be found anywhere Like I said it's excessive for a kid

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I think that fining a 12 year old that sort of money is ridiculous. The three match ban is deserved, and any repeat should lead to a longer ban, but FFS, he's 12! That must seem like all the money in the world.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Is his management style the same?, as in an inability to accept any refereeing decision against his team.

Not going to be setting a very good example to his players if so. A bit of a worry if it's a kids team he's managing.

Sussex County League is adults and the team he manages are adults

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

That's up to you. But it will be a futile protest, as the only outcome will be the County FA banning him from playing for any registered team until the appropriate fine is settled.

He's the only one who, ultimately, will suffer here.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

If so maybe but unpaid fines inevitably mean a ban

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Bloody right too. I'm all for teaching consequences to actions to kids, but in schoolboy/girl age football there is virtually nothing that can't be sorted out with a word to the managers to sub the player if need be if things get too out of hand. In all my years in youth football, as a parent, volunteer coach, manager ref and lino, I've never seen a red card issued. Not sure I've even seen a booking to be honest.

Last edited:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Did you lose by any chance?

Any support for the young referee? Are you a club official or just a complaining parent?

What makes you think the Sussex FA admin team are volunteers?

Have you discussed the sending off with your son, or just the "unfair" punishment?

macky

Dec 28, 2004
That's up to you. But it will be a futile protest, as the only outcome will be the County FA banning him from playing for any registered team until the appropriate fine is settled.

He's the only one who, ultimately, will suffer here.
He's not old enough to work paper round etc So if I refuse as it's not my fine How is he meant to find the money So the do fa will ban him until he's old enough to work and find the money to pay them ?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Sussex County League is adults and the team he manages are adults

Fair enough.

Adult football, from park, through to County and right to the top is not a pretty sight as we all know, in terms of abuse given to officials and players to each other.

Makes you wonder why we bother trying to teach kids respect when we know that they can hit 16 and play adult football if they want where almost anything goes.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here