Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Last 15, was it really necessary to be sooo negative....

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Quite.

Olly Burke came on and immediately moved them 15 yards further up the pitch.

this is true and was very noticeable which begs the question why we didn't take off the apparently 'knackered' march or knockaert and bring on our record signing and attempt to move ourselves back up the pitch. we were desperate for an outlet and it was never going to be Glenn...

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
this is true and was very noticeable which begs the question why we didn't take off the apparently 'knackered' march or knockaert and bring on our record signing and attempt to move ourselves back up the pitch. we were desperate for an outlet and it was never going to be Glenn...

Conversly, March was doing a brilliant defensive job...taking him off could have weakened us defensively.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
I think we just have to accept that defending the game out is the CH way - that's been pretty obvious from day one, and although some of us don't like that particular aspect it's just something we'll have to accept as long as we want to keep the excellent CH as our manager. The argument in favour, I suppose, is that it's playing the percentages and works more often than not - I guess those that like the system will point to our results over the last two years as proof.
Difficult to argue against that really. I'll just have to accept that we're very seldom going to enjoy the last 15 minutes of any matches this season, and will have to get used to taking an enormous breath of relief when the final whistle blows.

The fact that we resort to hoofing the ball back to the opposition just makes life harder for us. Isn't it better to keep possession and run the clock down rather than challenging them to score.

Furthermore given that they ran as many miles as we did why did they seem far more energized towards the end of the game even though they were 3-0 down. Something to be said for the WBA attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Do people not understand how football matches work? At any professional level it is very rare to have a team dominate for the full 90 mins. Albion ran there arse off for 70 got a 3 goal lead but that wasn't going to last the full 90 against an obviously fit team who had the luxury to bring on a very fast powerful winger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Not sure we'll get away with sitting back for the last 20 mins with the quality we are going to be facing this season.

It is certainly a CH tactic imo and in fairness it has worked even if it does make me a nervous wreck for the last 20 mins. Maybe I should leave on 70 mins :smile:

It's one of those where it does make you a nervous wreck but it does tend to be a succesful approach. Pulis is quite a defensive manager, no mater who his side plays away, whether it's us or Chelsea, his first aim is to be hard to beat - and in fairness it wasn't like we were opening them up and creating loads of good opportunites, we were on top but there was nothing clear cut. It's been successful for him though, worked at Palace, Allardyce a similar ilk. Then you get someone like de Boer who wants a more extravagant way of playing and it can quickly go tits up. I have a hunch a team like Huddersfield could come unstuck in such scenarios in the future. I think Hughton is pragmatic, sometimes it won't work but he'll fancy it'll work more often that not. I get nervous too, you can feel it in the stadium. Hopefully if we can see out some more games and become confident in our ability to do that we'll feel a little more comfortable with it.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
You do know that you are not allowed to do that, it is all or nothing or you are not a true supporter.
Intelligent discussion is fine but overly negative and hugely naive nonsense about CH deliberately "sitting back" is just annoying.

It is so obvious what nearly always happens in the last few minutes of a match anywhere in the world where one team leads - and why it happens...

The losing team is prepared to gamble on an open end to end game structure with lots of forward threats as they have nothing to lose. The winning team prefer not to go tit for tat in a 50/50 pursuit of goals but to keep a more normal hard to break down formation and hold on to what they have got while retaining a chance of scoring themselves on the counter...

It is professional and rational. Being good at doing it was one reason we went up.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The fact that we resort to hoofing the ball back to the opposition just makes life harder for us. Isn't it better to keep possession and run the clock down rather than challenging them to score.

Furthermore given that they ran as many miles as we did why did they seem far more energized towards the end of the game even though they were 3-0 down. Something to be said for the WBA attitude.

Pulis' subs were attacking substitutes. Morrison being the most bothersome, which is why he scored a goal, and Ryan had to save another.
We were forced into an early sub because Bruno went off injured.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Conversly, March was doing a brilliant defensive job...taking him off could have weakened us defensively.
Yes, quite. My preference at that stage would have been Izquierdo for Gross (that is my opinion only; I am aware there are others!)

Yes, but we didn't keep possession, did we? Clearing the ball away from the danger area does not need to be derided as 'hoofing' - but if speed-merchant Jose had been up on the halfway line to chase it would have been more effective as an out ball (which we just didn't have), especially as it would have occupied two of their players who otherwise were buzzing round our penalty area. Oh, I know that's the way it is and will be - and I'm not complaining about our results - but in my ideal world I would prefer more relaxed final fifteen minutes!

Something to be said for the WBA attitude.
Absolutely; fair play to them.

Last edited:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Ok it was a great win and much needed, I understand we decided to close shop and allow West Brom to come onto us, but for heaven's sake!

Had they got a second goal, which they almost did, it would have put the wrong complexion on the match, and left us hanging on desperately, when it really was not that close for the first 70 minutes.

Grateful for the well deserved win and 3 points BUT I shudder to think how many points this may cost us during the season, if we try to hang on too much?

Without reading the rest of this thread due to having to work for a living.
Where have you been?
Prison?
Being sectioned?
In space?
Going through a elongated divorce?

I smell palarse

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
With Shane and dunk in the box we are well suited to sitting back and welcoming straight long balls, the danger comes when crosses come in from the wings and midfield dropping back reduces this chance. Three nil up is the perfect time to sit back. Obviously a case for flying Colombian rather than Murray as pace can be as helpful as holding it up but we won 3-1. All without knocky yet (he is getting fitter but still not there).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Do people not understand how football matches work? At any professional level it is very rare to have a team dominate for the full 90 mins.
But I think the confusion (certainly on my part) is that we could have made another substitution, but didn't. We looked knackered.

My preference at that stage would have been Izquierdo for Gross
I think that would have been a good move.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With Shane and dunk in the box we are well suited to sitting back and welcoming straight long balls, the danger comes when crosses come in from the wings and midfield dropping back reduces this chance. Three nil up is the perfect time to sit back. Obviously a case for flying Colombian rather than Murray as pace can be as helpful as holding it up but we won 3-1. All without knocky yet (he is getting fitter but still not there).

And with Bruno coming off injured again with the same back problem which is a serious worry.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Our midfield were tiring, so Murray is useful for set pieces as a defensive header of the ball. Pulis teams love to score from free kicks or corners.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here