Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Using Phone while driving

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I'll tell you what really pisses me off, is women (in this day of PCness I should probably say people cos a bloke could do it to) putting their lipstick on at traffic lights when they are red looking in the mirror above and missing the light turn green so you have to take your hand off the wheel to beep the wench and then probably get a ticket yourself for it

This is much more likely and annoying than someone crashing whilst hanging up a call IMO

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
What about the number of people that are drinking either from a cup or bottle going along the road,.or eating a sandwich or pie.

2005, already happened when munching on a Granny Smith (or alike). This forbidden fruit shows that society is rotten to the core, it gets right on my pip.

See post #17

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If I received a text I would pull over and read it then act accordingly having heard the tone to tell me I have a text. As regards the tracking it is easy for them to check if a van is moving if so dont call the driver.quite simple. Check before making the call. I know the onus is on the driver not to answer the phone but he rejected the call because he was driving. As you say dont touch the phone so why give a driver a company phone?

So they can use it when they're NOT driving? Or so they can pair the phone with car, allowing them to use voice control and associated steering wheel-mounted buttons? :shrug:

el punal

I haven't seen all the posts regarding this thread so my comment could be duplicated. Anyway, something here puzzles me. His mobile rings, presumably his phone is close at hand - on the passenger seat, or the little shelf thingy by the gear stick. If your son rejected the call why pick up the phone in the first place? Or did he just pick up his phone to see who the caller was and not respond? Or, did he answer and say can't talk I'm driving scenario?

With the best will in the world, unless he had the phone to his ear or was looking at the phone screen for some time, surely the police would have no reason to pull him up? Unless of course any evidence is caught on camera and your son is bang to rights.

P.S. If his firm are so keen to contact him why don't they initiate having a hands free set installed for him?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So they can use it when they're NOT driving? Or so they can pair the phone with car, allowing them to use voice control and associated steering wheel-mounted buttons? :shrug:

His van does not have steering wheel mounted controls. Hence my suggestions that it is the firm at fault but he gets the 6 penalty points. even if they offer to pay the fine.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
They have trackers in their vans so know exactly where it is and what speed it is travelling at . Failing that they should send a text please ring when not driving to the company issued phone. He fully accepts that within the terms of the law as explained to him he is bang to rights and should have just let it ring but that doesnt absolve the company from making the calls and placing his licence in jeopardy.

This is not bitching just a warning to others who may be caught in a similar situation. Just let the phone ring.

What if it's someone from his company who does hve access to the tracking application and is using a desk phone to ring him ? How do they send a text ?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
His van does not have steering wheel mounted controls. Hence my suggestions that it is the firm at fault but he gets the 6 penalty points. even if they offer to pay the fine.

But it's NOT the firm at fault. The driver is in control of the vehicle and his phone. The employer shouldn't have to pay anything.

And you think people at company HQ – even if they had access to the tracking data – would check it each and every time they made a call? Of course they wouldn't – it's inefficient. They would expect the drivers to use a bit of common sense and respond to a call/text message when convenient – just like anyone would when calling another person!

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
It is a minefield that all companies should investigate when givng their employees a phone and expect them to be on immediate call.

My company covers it very easily - if you answer or use your phone whilst driving on company business ( or anytime in a company vehicle ) and they find out you get a written warning. Guess what - nobody touches their phone while driving.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003

It's not illegal to ring someone while they are driving, it is illegal to use your phone whilst driving. So it's not the firms fault.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It's not illegal to ring someone while they are driving, it is illegal to use your phone whilst driving. So it's not the firms fault.

It is not illegal as you say but I consider it inconsiderate by the firm to ring somebody and expect an answer, which presumably they do by ringing the person., The simple answer is to make it compulsory for company vehicles to be fitted with hands free and steering wheel controls.in the modern technology based age,.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
It is not illegal as you say but I consider it inconsiderate by the firm to ring somebody and expect an answer, which presumably they do by ringing the person., The simple answer is to make it compulsory for company vehicles to be fitted with hands free and steering wheel controls.in the modern technology based age,.

I'd bet a HUGE amount of money that they don't expect their employees to break the law and therefore don't expect them to answer their phone while driving. I'd bet an even bigger amount that this is detailed in the staff handbook.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Ten pages in and nobody has realised (except for BG) that [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] is right and everyone else is wrong, just like all the other times.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here