Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Favourite US City / Town

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Look 25 miles due south of Hartsfield. 78-83. That was some time ago. I don't think you would recognize the place now. Although Marietta & Roswell still have kept their old charm. Otherwise downtown Atlanta is a nightmare. I have been coming here since 2002 and living here since 07 and its changed a lot even in that short (ish) time. Traffic hasn't improved!

Flew into Hartsfield a couple of times in the past few years. Overnighted at an airport hotel both times before picking up a rental car. First time drove by the old homestead in East Cobb (hardly recognised the area; two lane roads were now six lanes!) before heading over to Charleston and Savannah. Second time drove down to New Orleans for a few days and then Pensacola Beach. You're right about the traffic. Awful. I had forgotten how boring a lot of the interstate driving is in Georgia. Mile upon mile with trees on both sides of the highway and no views.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Colorado is one of my favourite states. Only thing missing is the ocean! Absolutely loved Durango and the narrow gauge railroad to Silverton. Telluride is awesome. Aspen is great … Goldie Hawn sat at the table next to me at a restaurant there. Boulder is a great little city and the Rocky Mountain National Park is amazing. Enjoyed Colorado Springs. Lots of wonderful hiking, and incredible mountain scenery to drive through.

Next state to the west is Utah, another of my absolute favourites. Different from Colorado with the red rocks, but equally impressive. So much to see.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I've annoyingly never been, but i have friends who have been and so my aims are to check out the following states/cities:

California, specifically LA, SD, San Fran (just to see what the hype is about). Also Anaheim as my mate is a Ducks fan and we want to go to see them...tho not on their current losing streak. I also NEED to go to Yosemite. I've spent too much time reading about it to not explore.
Oregon: I have a lot of love for Portland, as many bands I adore hail from there or have close ties. Apparently the food is staggeringly good too.
San Juan Islands: My ex spent 2 months working at a camp on one of the Islands (as well as sailing around there/Canada) and said it was insanely beautiful.
Chicago: Gorgeous city by all accounts
NYC: Because you must, really.
Nashville: I have a friend who lives about an hour outside, who is also a SoCal native so we plan to fly to Nashville, spend time in the city and surrounding areas, then driving out west to LA, then head up the pacific coast.
Connecticut: My mother and grandparents lived in CT when she was young and my grandfather was working in NYC for BP in the early 60's. Would love to take her back over there to see her old home.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Sidwell Jnr

Jan 16, 2019
As mentioned by others Yosemite is pretty breathtaking, same for Lake Tahoe which I prefer as it's a bit more lively.Lots of good restaurants and bars and even a good size 'beach' on the lakes.

The sights in San Fran are good but like LA has a lot of homeless and beggars on almost every street who seem to get away with what they want.
Chicago has great architecture, food and shopping. NYC is my go to city break though as there's just endless things to do 24/7.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I've not really visited many American cities, but have to say I (and Mrs. BS) were so impressed with our three days in Seattle in May this year. Beautiful setting, friendly helpful citizens, wonderful transport system, Pike Place Market - fabulous. Taking the Washington State ferries to the outer islands and returning to see Seattle surrounded by snow capped mountains, just superb. Would definitely return.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
As mentioned by others Yosemite is pretty breathtaking, same for Lake Tahoe which I prefer as it's a bit more lively.Lots of good restaurants and bars and even a good size 'beach' on the lakes.

The sights in San Fran are good but like LA has a lot of homeless and beggars on almost every street who seem to get away with what they want.
Chicago has great architecture, food and shopping. NYC is my go to city break though as there's just endless things to do 24/7.

In order to avoid the beggars and homeless in SFO (and there are hundreds of them) avoid the flat bits, particularly Market Street, and stick to the hilly bits. The beggars don't do hills, and the hilly bits of SFO are some of the most attractive.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
San Diego San Francisco and Houston are pretty high up a list but in no particular order:

Galveston
New Orleans
Key West
Fort Lauderdale
Tampa/St Petersburg

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Wouldn't bother with Tijuana and unless things have changed you can't take rental car over. 30-40 mins NE of SD is Temecula, centre of their small wine region. Some lovely vineyards and a good place for a very scenic lunch

I went over at San Ysidro on Christmas Day 1981 with my then girlfriend (had a place on Ocean Beach San Diego) to go to Rosarita Beach for a few Margaritas and a Xmas lunch. Being a Brit I didn't have the fears of the locals but I needed to get out in Tijuana for a roadside pee. She was virtually telling me I'd be mugged robbed and probably left for dead.

Must be an American thing a là Trump.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Fair enough. I stayed there for a month in '89, and was happy to leave. I suppose the proximity to the Smoky Mountains would be a plus, but the town seemed too full of Bob Jones's University types, and consequently rather dull.

Getting your mountain ranges mixed up, Blue Ridge or Appalachians, not the Smokys.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Getting your mountain ranges mixed up, Blue Ridge or Appalachians, not the Smokys.

Hold on; Great Smoky Mountains National Park is about 90 miles from Greenville, which, you'll agree, is not thought of as a great distance by Americans. Yes, the range is all part of the Appalachians, and the Smokies are part of the Blue Ridge Mountains which comprises a large part of the southern Appalachian chain. However, folks down there routinely refer to the mountains that lie to the West as the Smokies. Actually, Greenville borders the Piedmont area and, as I'm sure you know, locals also call the area "upcountry". So you can simultaneously be in the Appalachians, the Blue Ridge and the Smokies. I would argue that I'm not that mixed up, at least on this subject!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Among Americans Chicago is the most tourist visited city in the USA--but then being in the middle helps with that too--getting into Manhattan is such a hassle.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Hold on; Great Smoky Mountains National Park is about 90 miles from Greenville, which, you'll agree, is not thought of as a great distance by Americans. Yes, the range is all part of the Appalachians, and the Smokies are part of the Blue Ridge Mountains which comprises a large part of the southern Appalachian chain. However, folks down there routinely refer to the mountains that lie to the West as the Smokies. Actually, Greenville borders the Piedmont area and, as I'm sure you know, locals also call the area "upcountry". So you can simultaneously be in the Appalachians, the Blue Ridge and the Smokies. I would argue that I'm not that mixed up, at least on this subject!

Unfortunately for the time being Trump has shut down this park too. They say the ones that are open are getting binned up because the services that take care of the parks are on furlough.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
She was virtually telling me I'd be mugged robbed and probably left for dead.

Must be an American thing a là Trump.

I remember staying in a hotel in SF where reception warned me in no uncertain terms to approach the hotel only from the front entrance and not venture to the back of the hotel and the side-street if I valued my life.

Being British, I naturally ignored this instruction and had to go to see what was so wrong with the area. As I suspected, there was absolutely nothing unusual or dangerous about the neighbourhood, apart from there being more black people about than in other parts of the city.

But then, I've been on business trips where there have been groups of Americans and they insist that anywhere in a city centre is dangerous and can't be walked: it's very strange to a European mindset.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I remember staying in a hotel in SF where reception warned me in no uncertain terms to approach the hotel only from the front entrance and not venture to the back of the hotel and the side-street if I valued my life.

Being British, I naturally ignored this instruction and had to go to see what was so wrong with the area. As I suspected, there was absolutely nothing unusual or dangerous about the neighbourhood, apart from there being more black people about than in other parts of the city.

But then, I've been on business trips where there have been groups of Americans and they insist that anywhere in a city centre is dangerous and can't be walked: it's very strange to a European mindset.

There are crimes but even when you take the chance your percentage chance is as low as 1% or lower which is too risky for many Americans.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Mrs M and I are going to Nashville, Memphis and New Orleans in March for a two week road trip. If anyone has any recommendations for the trip I'd be delighted to have them please?

Loved Seattle on a visit to see family last year as well. Great vibe about the place with stunning views from the space needle.

Nashville - Andrew Jackson's home in Nashville, The Hermitage. Vanderbilt University and the riverboat on the Cumberland River, The General Jackson.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave

Sailors ALWAYS head for the out of bounds areas when visiting foreign ports. It used to make me chuckle when we were somewhere like say, Old San Juan, Puerto Rico, and the whole ships company is there after we were all told specifically by our U.S. hosts that it was out of bounds. A good night was had by all. (Old San Juan used to be the seedy bit, but having visited recently it is now very much the tourist trap part).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here