Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Back from Mogwai too -
They didn't come on till 9.30 either and surprised (as with other Sunday night concerts) that they didn't come on earlier !

Was also suprised at the late stage times for Mogwai, I

Don't know what you would have done at the Top Rank in May 1978, as Steve Hillage didn't go on stage until around 11.30. However my that time everyone was chilled out from the drugs

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Thanks, it's the iPad that can't spell Lewes.

You did the right thing re Soft machine.

Next outing is the H&R again, a good venue and easy to get to. Fri 7th, I'm the fat fingered one with 4 strings.

IMG_0088.JPG
Saw you at the first Con Club gig (it's "Lewes" by the way). Took several mates there to see Monochrome Set and they were awful (regular MS fans agreed) but you lot were excellent, and am currently wearing your t-shirt for Band T-shirt Day. Considered going to Soft Machine to see you, but it was a jazz step too far.

So which band member are you? Unusual to have a keyboard player as main vocalist.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I thought Galangas were pretty good, their prima Donna drummers attitude didn't do them any favours with sound crew and us though.

Saw you guys play at The Hope & Ruin earlier this year when my mates band (Galangas) supported you.

Enjoyed your stuff more (but don’t tell them I said that [emoji3])

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
UMO at the Concorde last week were very good, as were the meow meows at the Duke on Saturday.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
I thought Galangas were pretty good, their prima Donna drummers attitude didn't do them any favours with sound crew and us though.

Ha, I heard he was being a bit of a pain about sharing a drum kit. They sounded pretty good but I'm a bit of a sucker for that Hammond organ stuff that you guys do ...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Off to see Holydrug Couple tonight. Gig number 31, gigs 32 (Julia Holter) and 33 (Nils Frahm) coming up shortly then that’s it for 2018. Roll on 2019

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Don't know what you would have done at the Top Rank in May 1978, as Steve Hillage didn't go on stage until around 11.30. However my that time everyone was chilled out from the drugs

I remember watching a creation record evening at The Top Rank midweek sometime in the eighties. The House Of Love didn’t come on till about midnight that time. Threw a sicky the following day as so little sleep.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I saw Gil Scott Heron at the East Wing of the Brighton Centre once. It was after 12.30am when he came on. Mrs Mahone and I had a little nap while we waited.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I saw Julia Holter last night. It was one of those gigs where all the stars alligned and it led to a truly mesmerising and beguiling performance...my gig of the year. The venue played a huge part, a former DDR radio station complex by the river in deepest darkest East Berlin where Nils Frahm has his studio. She performed in the main studio recording room. No stage, the 6 piece band performed on the floor in the round and we all sat around them. There’s no bar inside the studio either, which I think helped the atmosphere. We sat in appreciative silence and watched and listened; I was literally sat on the floor 3 feet from her and the band. The sound was perfect, as you’d expect from a purpose built recording room. It was incredible to sit so close and see and hear the instruments and performance at such close quarters. And as for Julia, a little nervous at first (probably due to the set up) but she quickly settled and she and the band helped me drift off somewhere nice. The set lifted mainly from her dazzling new album, with all its little twists and surprises, punctuated with 5 or 6 from her back catalogue; silhouette was sublime. Her music has many quiet and delicate moments and the silent crown played their much needed part; I’m not sure how her new album will come across in a typical concert venue with the usual chitter chatter etc. Maybe she needs to go down the Nils Frahm and Max Richter route and play opera and symphony venues? I have no idea how long she played for, I lost track of time.

And to round off the perfect evening I sat in the downstairs bar with a glass of Chilean Cabinet Sauvignon and bumped into her. Had a brief chat about the gig, the venue and the next show.

A bit gushy but it’s a true reflection of the night. In short, she’s an exceptional talent, she really is.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside my other favourite gig of the year was probably IDLES which was about as far from last night as possible; a rowdy night in a tiny punk club with beer and people flying through the air.

Where would we be without music.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
As an aside my other favourite gig of the year was probably IDLES which was about as far from last night as possible; a rowdy night in a tiny punk club with beer and people flying through the air.

Just back from the Damned in Oxford. Fantastic performance, as ever. Nicely supported by Johnny Moped! Only negative was Captain shouting "Eeeagles" at the end ��

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just back from the Damned in Oxford. Fantastic performance, as ever. Nicely supported by Johnny Moped! Only negative was Captain shouting "Eeeagles" at the end ��

The ever mischievous Captain Sensible! You mentioned Paul Gray is on bass; I remember seeing him in UFO back in my rock days.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
The ever mischievous Captain Sensible! You mentioned Paul Gray is on bass; I remember seeing him in UFO back in my rock days.

Paul Gray.jpg

Yes, I've been lucky enough to see Paul Gray play with them twice this year (he only does some dates due to illness). He's a great guy who does a lot of work for the musicians union and he's a brilliant bassist. The extra flourishes he adds to the basic bass lines of some of the early songs are a joy to behold! I never saw him with UFO but a mate who was there last night was a big UFO fan so knew him well from that period. I never tire of watching the Damned it has to be said.

You mentioned IDLES as your best gig of the year. That would be my vote, too. Saw them at Kingston where they were ok but later in the tour at Oxford they were incredible; I worry that they won't be able to keep that level of intensity going for too long, though!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Not seen much this year. These, in Ramsgate, was stand out. Message to [MENTION=17571]StonehamPark[/MENTION] - not sure if this is up your street but they are playing in Vancouver on Dec 15 :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWdLpIITqsQ

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I dread to think. It's always noticeable to me when I meet non music people, like a big void in there lives, presumably filled by vacuous tv shows

A bit like football. As Danny Baker once said (about football), to paraphrase, imagine being someone who doesn't like it? The poor half-alive ********.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Great quote, but As much as I like football, it's a modern game, as are most sports. Music is life, as old as, well, really old, like Bonio from ewe-two or the strolling bones!

A bit like football. As Danny Baker once said (about football), to paraphrase, imagine being someone who doesn't like it? The poor half-alive ********.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here