Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Term time Dad loses in the Supreme Court

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I'm a father of three, one in full time employment now, one at Sixth form and the youngest at High school, the thought of going on holiday outside of their hols never crossed my mind, I could have saved £100 on my hol with them next week but wouldn't dream of taking them out of school
Well done you ****ing hero...?!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
For some, to even think of their kid and beyond themselves is a stretch but, you're right, people have bought into Thatcher's nonsense that we're just individuals, and our actions have no broader consequences.

i think it was 'Pythons Brian who said that.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Recently my grandhildrens school added an inset day on the Friday prior to the half term and on the Monday following thus allowing the teachers the complete week to go away if they wished and obviously the children as well. My argument is not with the rule just pointing out that the fine proves ineffective in stopping it happening and as such is treated as a tax by parents on holidays that generally they pay in order to save a greater amount of money. Is there any record of how much money is collected in fines and to whom it goes.

So inset days are days off for staff??? No inset days are government lead because they need to train people in new legislation, more beuarocracy,or a new found blameless "illness" like ADHD so parents don't have to take responsibility for their kids! Teachers want inset days as much as parents do!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just wish the government would butt out of peoples lives. What next, fine parents for kids who don't do their homework?

A good parent helps their kid get through school and play an active part in their education.

Also,there is an argument that travelling to places is an education itself, why deny a child that?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just wish the government would butt out of peoples lives. What next, fine parents for kids who don't do their homework?

A good parent helps their kid get through school and play an active part in their education.

Also,there is an argument that travelling to places is an education itself, why deny a child that?

13 weeks holiday would suggest no one is denying a child that.

Good parenting is unfortunately not something that stretches across the entire cohort in a school. Attendance is a major battle that schools face in just making sure kids are in school. The number of kids that just aren't attending enough is alarming and it is down to the parents, the school then has to work hard to get that child's attendance up. Schools spend time and resource ensuring these kids are in school, you've then got to deal with a load of applications to have holidays in term time while at the same time battling to get kids into school.

I really don't think people have a clue what goes on in a school. If people realised the child welfare issues and other factors linked with poor attendance, the fight to get these kids into school, when they are often quite vulnerable, then they might have a different view to believing it is just the government interfering.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
13 weeks holiday would suggest no one is denying a child that.

Good parenting is unfortunately not something that stretches across the entire cohort in a school. Attendance is a major battle that schools face in just making sure kids are in school. The number of kids that just aren't attending enough is alarming and it is down to the parents, the school then has to work hard to get that child's attendance up. Schools spend time and resource ensuring these kids are in school, you've then got to deal with a load of applications to have holidays in term time while at the same time battling to get kids into school.

I really don't think people have a clue what goes on in a school. If people realised the child welfare issues and other factors linked with poor attendance, the fight to get these kids into school, when they are often quite vulnerable, then they might have a different view to believing it is just the government interfering.

I'm curious, are the kids with poor general attendance the ones that are asking for time out for holiday? From my own experience my kids attendance would be almost 100% but for the odd day out for a holiday. Whenever requested always granted

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm curious, are the kids with poor general attendance the ones that are asking for time out for holiday? From my own experience my kids attendance would be almost 100% but for the odd day out for a holiday. Whenever requested always granted

For someone requesting the government should butt out of people's lives - I was assuming you were a bit more informed than just your experience with your own child?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
For someone requesting the government should butt out of people's lives - I was assuming you were a bit more informed than just your experience with your own child?

I don't work in education, I was just asking as it sounds like you do.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Can't really do it but it should be allowed for places that they will learn more from going than in the time at school. But shouldn' be allowed if its to sit on a beach or roller coaster.

I've taken the kids to Berlin, Rome,Copenhagen, Krakow (soon) etc to see sights experience the culture language food history and have been fined. Pisses me off as its more than they learn in the last 2 weeks of summer term for example when the teachers start packing for their holidays.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

8 pages and finally someone hits the nail on the head. It was reported that holidays take up about 25% of unauthorised leave from school. So what exactly is being done about the other 75%? Surely kids that are regularly absent are far more disruptive to the class than one who has an excellent attendance and achievement rate yet goes away for one week in the term.

What this decision does is remove from head teachers the ability to exercise discretion where merited.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
I used to work in schools, not a teacher but was support / backoffice staff. IMHO teachers have it bloody hard! And they earn the additional time off through working hours and suffering stress levels that go over and above the average job.

I wish there was a bit of common sense. The odd couple of days away from school here and there for the sake of a holiday or traveling can't be an issue. It will benefit the child just as much as school but in other ways. Just don't take the p*ss.

Sadly there doesn't appear to be much room for common sense in this world of ours.

D

Deleted member 2719

Most people who hate teachers and judges seem to have an issue with authority. These are often the same people who spend football matches shouting at stewards or think that all police officers are scum.

Easy to do this stereotyping nonsense isn´t it

Where did i say i hate teachers???

I have a problem with Masons being in positions of authority ie Judges, as it cost me 15k in the 80's

I have an issue with teacher chucking chocolate down my kids throats as rewards, lazing teaching IMO.

If you actually knew anything about industrial relations, rather than what has been force-fed you by certain newspapers (which might explain the judges remark too), you'd be aware that teachers no longer go on strike at a whim. And as for a teacher who thinks they're wrong, is that what you're advocating for the class room?

I have not read a newspaper for about 20 years.
My view is not just on teachers who strike, it's every union lead position (get out in the real world, if you don't like the job then leave).

There is a certain attitude with some teachers you can see it on some of there faces they hate parents and they just want to give us a Moyes slap.

1) I have been teaching for 15 years and not been on strike as I think my work conditions have been good
2) If you do strike then you do not get paid for that day

I am pleased you are happy with your job if only there were more like you.

I have been self-employed most of my 37 years of working and guess what, no one pays me when i take a day off.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't work in education, I was just asking as it sounds like you do.

The most vulnerable kids in society are inextricably linked to poor attendance. Poor performance in school is also linked with attendance and financial background. Schools put a huge amount into trying to ensure kids are in school, through monitoring, liaising with parents and thereafter other agencies or the local authorities. This work is then partially undermined if you are then granting other children time off for holidays, at the same time as lobbying for the importance of being in school. Not to mention the disruption to teachers of having kids off at various times.

If we were all 'good' parents, reading to our kids at night, taking them on educational trips at weekends, furthering their education when we can, then I am sure our state education would be a brilliant state of affairs, and the occasional absence wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately that is not the case, budgets are stretched to breaking point, and attendance is seen as key factor in bringing up the results of those from more disadvantaged backgrounds.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
8 pages and finally someone hits the nail on the head. It was reported that holidays take up about 25% of unauthorised leave from school. So what exactly is being done about the other 75%? Surely kids that are regularly absent are far more disruptive to the class than one who has an excellent attendance and achievement rate yet goes away for one week in the term.

What this decision does is remove from head teachers the ability to exercise discretion where merited.

So the struggle for schools is getting all kids into school. Pleading with parents that just cannot be bothered to bring their kid in every day as to the importance of their child's education. Sickness will be one part of your 75%, simply not turning up will be a significant portion also. So you attempt to convince those that every day in school is vital for their child, and yet at the same time you could be signing off a kid to go off to Disney World for a week. It is very difficult to have policies that contradict each other.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Can't really do it but it should be allowed for places that they will learn more from going than in the time at school. But shouldn' be allowed if its to sit on a beach or roller coaster.

I've taken the kids to Berlin, Rome,Copenhagen, Krakow (soon) etc to see sights experience the culture language food history and have been fined. Pisses me off as its more than they learn in the last 2 weeks of summer term for example when the teachers start packing for their holidays.
My daughter started High School this year and I thought I would do the right thing by applying for 2 days off as we had pre arranged a long weekend in Rome.(It was a "The Sun" £9.50 holiday. Flights and accommodation for 3 was less than £300!) I talked to her form tutor who said it would be no problem and so I applied well in advance. Didnt hear back from them until the day before we went and they denied the request. I rang them from the airport to tell tham my daughter was ill and wouldnt be in school that day. Also rang them on the monday with the same story. I didnt like to do that but if they had had the decency to treat me as an adult (why not ring and discuss the request? Would only have been a 30 sec phone call) I would have treated them as such. Next thing I got from the school was a letter detailing how my daughter wouldnt be allowed off ill without a doctors note. In 7 years of schooling she has missed maybe 10 days at most. The heavy handed, mightier than though approach may be neccesary for many of the Mums who are barely out of school themselves. Schools seem to think it is THEY that are bringing your child up and only they know what is best for them.
And dont get me started on professionals who go on strike.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Where did i say i hate teachers???

I have a problem with Masons being in positions of authority ie Judges, as it cost me 15k in the 80's

I have an issue with teacher chucking chocolate down my kids throats as rewards, lazing teaching IMO.

I have not read a newspaper for about 20 years.
My view is not just on teachers who strike, it's every union lead position (get out in the real world, if you don't like the job then leave).

There is a certain attitude with some teachers you can see it on some of there faces they hate parents and they just want to give us a Moyes slap.

I am pleased you are happy with your job if only there were more like you.

I have been self-employed most of my 37 years of working and guess what, no one pays me when i take a day off.

So, in short, you're a martyr and want to work the rest of us to death.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My daughter started High School this year and I thought I would do the right thing by applying for 2 days off as we had pre arranged a long weekend in Rome.(It was a "The Sun" £9.50 holiday. Flights and accommodation for 3 was less than £300!) I talked to her form tutor who said it would be no problem and so I applied well in advance. Didnt hear back from them until the day before we went and they denied the request. I rang them from the airport to tell tham my daughter was ill and wouldnt be in school that day. Also rang them on the monday with the same story. I didnt like to do that but if they had had the decency to treat me as an adult (why not ring and discuss the request? Would only have been a 30 sec phone call) I would have treated them as such. Next thing I got from the school was a letter detailing how my daughter wouldnt be allowed off ill without a doctors note. In 7 years of schooling she has missed maybe 10 days at most. The heavy handed, mightier than though approach may be neccesary for many of the Mums who are barely out of school themselves. Schools seem to think it is THEY that are bringing your child up and only they know what is best for them.
And dont get me started on professionals who go on strike.

You lied to the school. What did you expect? You actually applied for the holiday, got denied, then instead of just accepting the unauthorised absence, you phoned in to say she was sick. What are the school supposed to do?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I work in a school that has 2 day half terms not full weeks.
That's just one example, and not representative of most schools. Had you have said 12 weeks in your school, I wouldn't have said 13.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
You lied to the school. What did you expect? You actually applied for the holiday, got denied, then instead of just accepting the unauthorised absence, you phoned in to say she was sick. What are the school supposed to do?

Treat me like the responsible adult that I am? A 30 second search would have revealed that my daughter has barely missed a day at school. Respect is a 2 way street.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here