Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If l had a criticism....

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

The other element of having everyone back is that it simply creates congestion, and it is just much harder to find a clear cut opportunity to score. Leaving one or two up front just creates more space to play in. For me, the reality of leaving one up at this level, is that the ball will still probably come straight back again and it can be harder to break quickly with one man that is marked tightly by two players. 10 players breaking from our box is harder to mark tightly and the opportunity for an accurate, quick throw or kick is greater. Doesn't apply in kids football where the defenders are likely to miss a long punt up front!

D

Deleted member 2719

Top of the league and eleven points clear of third you wouldn't think there is anything to criticise but one thing that puzzles me is when we take the lead, which we generally do, why do we start to sit deeper and deeper and bring all eleven players back behind the ball for opposition corners and free kicks? That just allows the opposition to push more men forward. We've pretty well got away with it for now but occasionally that's more by luck than judgement! (re Duffy's block from Noon last night).If we kept at least one player up by the half way line, like Wardy used to do, then generally they would have to keep two players back to mark him. It also provides an outlet to relieve the pressure rather than just having the ball punted up field and inviting the next long ball back!! Just saying...!!

I agree with you, but Hughton has always done it and yes the formula is working but as you say it makes very uncomfortable watching. But at least this year we stand a chance of scoring again if we concede.

Personally it's not the Brighton and Hove Albion brand of football i signed up for, but if it gets us to the Prem i don't suppose TB will care.

Here's hoping that one day we won't shut up shop so early doors.

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
We've won every game when we've taken the lead ...
... before you riposte with that's obvious, our oppositions haven't

This is definitely not true, I'm sure loads of times last season this was not the case, Although think we have probably improved defending this way this year.

I'll throw you Preston from this season to disprove this fact. Were 2-1 up at the Amex and drew 2-2 from playing this sometimes dodgy tactic.

I prefer the Poyet way of keeping the ball if i'm honest. All the time we have it, they can't score.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This is definitely not true, I'm sure loads of times last season this was not the case, Although think we have probably improved defending this way this year.

I'll throw you Preston from this season to disprove this fact. Were 2-1 up at the Amex and drew 2-2 from playing this sometimes dodgy tactic.

I prefer the Poyet way of keeping the ball if i'm honest. All the time we have it, they can't score.

1. the stat refers to this season -- apologies for not clarifying
2. think you'll find that Preston has been clarified on multiple occasions on this thread :wink:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We've pretty well got away with it for now but occasionally that's more by luck than judgement!
Yep, that's it, our success is down to luck. It was also luck that we got so close last year.

I'm not suggesting you can't question the tactics at all, but to state as a fact that it is more luck that judgement is daft.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We've won every game when we've taken the lead ...
We were 2-1 against Preston and didn't win.

EDIT - I see Preston have been mentioned above and you people need a pedant to explain. Preston were 1-0 up. We equalised. We then 'took the lead'. We didn't win.

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Yep, that's it, our success is down to luck. It was also luck that we got so close last year.

I'm not suggesting you can't question the tactics at all, but to state as a fact that it is more luck that judgement is daft.

To be fair l said 'occasionally'. Inviting teams which may be better than Cardiff, may score! Personally l would rather be playing the game in the opposition half than inviting the pressure.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I'd leave either knockeart or march, or preferably both, up the field at opposition corners and the opposition would have to leave half their team in defence to mark them!

Agree with you. Would love to have the reasons why we don't do this explained to me.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To be fair l said 'occasionally'.
Good point well made. I think I overlooked that.

Inviting teams which may be better than Cardiff, may score! Personally l would rather be playing the game in the opposition half than inviting the pressure.
I think most of us feel the same. Given some of the scorelines in the last 12 months we're obviously not switching to full defence all the time, but it does happen. I didn't like seeing Knocky subbed for Skalak against Wednesday as I felt Knockaert was more likely to take the ball out of defence. I was also a bit disappointed March came off yesterday, but no doubt he was tiring. In Chris I trust.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Because we've got STOKO the SUPER KEEPER :albion2:

Nothing's getting past him.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
So you're suggesting that when we don't go up we're going to lose our players and struggle in the Championship?

Well obviously. When we fail to go up it will be the biggest choke ever made by a championship club and we'll need to ship the whole bunch of losers out and sack the manager. We'll have been the first championship team EVER to be top of the league with 60 points from fewer than 30 games to FAIL to be champions, and to have lost in the play-offs again is going to see a mass exodus and a complete overhaul of the club, its philosophy and personnel.

can you really see us just carrying on as normal after the most incredible collapse in form ever seen in this division?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here