Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Butterfly in Mid November???

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Just seen a Red Admiral fluttering around our garden in Hove, surely this is not normal? And whilst I think about it, our apple tree still has most of it's leaves, what's going on????

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Dunno. Its almost like it's a little warmer than it used to be in the old days. Someone should find out what is going.....

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Dunno. Its almost like it's a little warmer than it used to be in the old days. Someone should find out what is going.....

Fair enough, I'm well aware of global warming thank you. Just thought seeing a butterfly fluttering around in the garden a month or so before Christmas seemed particularly odd, oh well...

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Last year i saw a grass snake in Dec. Couldn't believe it

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
2016 is set to be declared the warmest year in recorded history, say boffins.

I saw bees trying to collect pollen in vain in January, I saw the great Cormorant arrive on the Adur two weeks before his mate as he cried out for her and stared into the distance, feathers ruffled, I saw a starship on fire off the shoulder of Orion.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Fair enough, I'm well aware of global warming thank you. Just thought seeing a butterfly fluttering around in the garden a month or so before Christmas seemed particularly odd, oh well...

Sorry, I was being flippant. You are spot on though it is weird, but has happened for a few winters now. Traditionally though winter doesn't really start until 21st December, I think people have forgotten that a little bit. The old seasons have become blurred and November has always been quite warm really.

I have a host of ladybirds on my window as I type this. That barely seems normal either.

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Sorry, I was being flippant. You are spot on though it is weird, but has happened for a few winters now. Traditionally though winter doesn't really start until 21st December, I think people have forgotten that a little bit. The old seasons have become blurred and November has always been quite warm really.

I have a host of ladybirds on my window as I type this. That barely seems normal either.

No worries, it's made me realise that I dont really understand how butterflies work. As thought the recent cold snap with frost would have killed them all off. So is this one in the garden a recent arrival that should have probably made an appearance next Spring rather than now? Going to educate myself on google later! Either way shows just how quickly things are warming up in my mind:down:

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
15c here in Southampton. That seems ridiculous for mid November. I cycled to work in a t-shirt as it was too warm for a coat.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This is normal now, last years December we had many days in the 60s and 5 days warmer than days in June this year, the night temperatures were also much warmer than June and July. Today it will reach mid 60s and a minimum tonight of 55. This is going to be another very mild winter with no frost and no snow at all

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This is going to be another very mild winter with no frost and no snow at all

Cheers for the timely reminder to get down to Mountain Warehouse [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

Snow.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
we'll its global warming. even though the models for warming predict it will get hotter in the summer, colder in the winter and more volatile all round, a mild summer and mild autumn will be attributed to the same cause.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Just seen a Red Admiral fluttering around our garden in Hove, surely this is not normal? And whilst I think about it, our apple tree still has most of it's leaves, what's going on????

Hmm I'm not convinced. You sure it wasn't a Painted Lady?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
WWW/HDS,Med climate (from my Geography 'O' level GCE from 50 years ago!).Warm,wet,winter/hot,dry,summer.We will have loads of Icelandic pensioners moving here soon!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Having googled, I concede you may well be right, it didn't hand around long! Red admirals not as common round these parts I take it?

I was being facetious :). Butterflies of any description at this time of year is something. That said, the two are often confused.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
WWW/HDS,Med climate (from my Geography 'O' level GCE from 50 years ago!).Warm,wet,winter/hot,dry,summer.We will have loads of Icelandic pensioners moving here soon!

It was "warm wet westerly winds in winter" in my geography lessons around the same time.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Don't be concerned. It will not harm you. It's only me pursuing something I'm not sure of.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If recent history is anything to go by the sequence will be something like:-

warm
mild
Christmas
mild
Fookin freezing - 3 days max
seriously windy
mild