Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Podcasts - what are you listening to?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We're reaching that time of year when I'm after podcast recommendations to cover podcasters holidays, and generally refresh my ears!!

What are you listening too?

The latest one I've pick up is 'Let's talk about Tech' from 5-live, it's really enjoyable and not too techie.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Frank Skinner on Absolute Radio is my FAVOURITIST podcast.

Frank, Emily and Gareth loaf around in the studio generally talking a load of bollocks, with the odd guest thrown in (usually another stand-up comic). Its BRILLIANT. Frank cracks me up, I've been a fan for years.

Very much this. Emily Dean is a real radio talent and does a great job as lead presenter when FS is busy. Top, top stuff.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I subscribe to The Comedians Comedians podcast, and Richard Herring's Leicester Square one's too. Greg Davies on Richard Herring was one of the funniest, and the likes of Sarah Millican and her husband Gary Delaney (and our own Comedy Steve) are intriguing in terms of looking at comedy from a technical angle.

For Zombie fans We're Alive is the equivalent of The Archers, PC Pro good for what's happening in the world of geek.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We're reaching that time of year when I'm after podcast recommendations to cover podcasters holidays, and generally refresh my ears!!

What are you listening too?

The latest one I've pick up is 'Let's talk about Tech' from 5-live, it's really enjoyable and not too techie.

Answer me this - features Helen and Olly who crop up on Let's talk about tech.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Very much this. Emily Dean is a real radio talent and does a great job as lead presenter when FS is busy. Top, top stuff.

Blimey, shows how old my post was, Gareth has been history for years now. Alun 'The Cockeral' Cochrane is a more than capable replacement though, and binning the guests was a good move.

Still listening to it, still the best podcast by miles, and yep, Emily is superb. I dunno how someone so posh and vaccuous can be so hilarious, but she manages to pull it off (I appreciate she 'plays up' to that persona, but she somehow manages it without being annoying). Perfect jogging entertainment.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Blimey, shows how old my post was, Gareth has been history for years now. Alun 'The Cockeral' Cochrane is a more than capable replacement though, and binning the guests was a good move.

Still listening to it, still the best podcast by miles, and yep, Emily is superb. I dunno how someone so posh and vaccuous can be so hilarious, but she manages to pull it off (I appreciate she 'plays up' to that persona, but she somehow manages it without being annoying). Perfect jogging entertainment.

Funny, Emily is the reason I can't listen to this - as much as I like Frank. She really grates with me.

Still missing Adam and Joe.

Yorkshire-Seagull

Feb 11, 2008

Emily started doing a podcast of her own (Laughter Therapy) - I think there was only one episode made with David Baddiel, but it's well worth a listen. I'd be interested to know more about Emily's life before the radio show - she often hints at a fairly extensive drug past, and she's clearly been round the block a few times, but I bet some of the anecdotes are amazing...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Funny, Emily is the reason I can't listen to this - as much as I like Frank. She really grates with me.

Still missing Adam and Joe.

Adam and Joe must've been before I started listening then, it was Frank, Emily and Gareth when I first latched on.

I can appreciate why some might find her 'posh bird' persona annoying, but she's self-aware with it and very sharp I think.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Emily started doing a podcast of her own (Laughter Therapy) - I think there was only one episode made with David Baddiel, but it's well worth a listen. I'd be interested to know more about Emily's life before the radio show - she often hints at a fairly extensive drug past, and she's clearly been round the block a few times, but I bet some of the anecdotes are amazing...

A very privileged upbringing with "luvvie" actor-parents. The massive contrast in her background and upbringing to Franks is always a rich seam of humour on the show.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Richard Herring's Leicester Square one's too.
I've just listened to Herring's interviewing Jon Ronson.

In the interests of balance I have to say I'm a big Ronson fan, but nevertheless I thought the conversation was excellent and really enjoyable.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In terms of comedy podcasts;

Present:

Josh Widdecombe - very partridge, very funny
Rhod Gilbert - stunningly awful "features", funny guy
Frank Skinner - pleasant, if painfully middle class. Rarely laugh out loud funny but very nice background radio

Past:

Adam and Joe
Russell Brand (at his best, the best comedy radio there has ever been, no one comes close)
Ricky Gervais

The GIF dude

Mar 22, 2013
Sidwell
Podcasts - what are you listening too?

Used to listen to complete guide to everything but haven't listened to one in a while. I believe Tim and Tom are doing live shows in the UK soon.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
The QI Elves do "There's no such thing as a fish" - 4 amusing people stringing facts and figures together in a conversation.

As an antidote to Kermode and Mayo ( very entertaining though it is), R4's The Film Programme is just what it says on the tin. Instead of Simon Mayo asking questions of a director when you really want it to be Kermode, TFP is in depth and well, more serious. Interesting.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Frank Skinner by a mile.

However if you can find them Seasons 1,2 and 3 of The Ricky Gervais show are also superb. There are quite a few 'specials' too. It's quite interesting listening to them slowly discover the genius of Pilkington!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It would appear NSC has similar podcasting tastes, and they don't really change much.
There's plenty of name check now that are at throughout the thread.

But this is new and sounds interesting:-
The QI Elves do "There's no such thing as a fish" - 4 amusing people stringing facts and figures together in a conversation.
I'll give it a go, thanks.

Oh and [MENTION=27252]The GIF dude[/MENTION], yes Tim and Tom are over soon.
They are still good, but quite as good recently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here