Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Where to buy Ero's, for Spain holiday (going April)

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I use WeSwap, pre-load , exchange rate is pretty good , especially if you go for a 10 day conversion deal. They then send you a card which with a PIN gives you access to money abroad via the hole in the wall. Most cash machines won;t charge a commission if you take out 200 Euros or more, although in Spain last month I was charged 5Euros by Santander. I am told Halifax are good also, similar idea with a card and PIN.

TNBA

TTF

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I've got a Caxton FX card. You load it with GPB and convert it to whatever currency you want. It also allows for free ATM withdrawals and gives competitive rates when converting currency. I used to go to a B de Change a week or two before leaving, but find this prepaid debit card is convenient and safer. Would recommend if you're not leaving for a few weeks, and have the time to wait for the card to be delivered.

basque seagull

Oct 21, 2012
So from the horses mouth rather than the load mouths like Big gully. What is your options for brexit Are you likely to pack up and be sent home or are you staying and applying for citizenship? How will your medical needs be met
Mmmm.... I don't really know what will happen but if Brexit does really happen would get Spanish or Irish nationality whichever is easiest. (My mum was born in Belfast). The process costs about 100 odd euros apparently for Irish citizenship. Just another bureaucratic pain in the arse imo...

Enviado desde mi MI 5 mediante Tapatalk

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Plus one for Revolut. It’s so simple, the rates are very good and it’s really easy to top up and exchange. The only down side is that if you need cash I think there’s a limit to how much cash you can withdraw on the card.

And another. I’ve had a Revolut card for years now and it saves having to carry a load of cash. I never have cash in my wallet here so why would I when abroad?

The only down side is that it doesn’t seem to work at many petrol stations in France (no idea why not), so I have to carry an alternative for those occasions.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Oh yes you will!
Thomas cook exchange counter in Worthing 1.125 just last week (had to ask for the better rate as they’ll price match any better rates out there)

Revolut currently 1.1275 according to the app on my phone. Shows how it fluctuates, so even this method needs a careful bit of timing! (See Rugrat’s post #17 from not long ago)

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Revolut currently 1.1275 according to the app on my phone. Shows how it fluctuates, so even this method needs a careful bit of timing! (See Rugrat’s post #17 from not long ago)

My mistake (it was the last rate I exchanged at) and yes it's 1.1275. The beauty of the app (as you probably know) is that you can load it in £'s and leave it there so it just gives you best rate every time you use it or if you think the rate is at a high point then convert as much as you like into Euro's there and then and lock in the rate

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
But be careful. If it’s anything like a Monzo Card (I’m sure they’re all the same) then it’s not a credit card and can’t be used for car hire and hotel checks etc, so take a real CC with you as well.

As mentioned these cards a really useful but very much a prepaid debit card.

In these situations I give them my regular credit card when booking (car) or checking in hotel and then when returning/checking out I switch the card to Revolut

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I get mine from Sainsburys, order online and pop to my local shop to pick them up.

I can't be doing with all this card/ATM nonsense, nothing wrong with a pocket full of cash.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I find it funny when people spend hours and money driving etc to get the best rate on amounts like £1/200 when the reality is a difference of pennies often but paying pounds to park and fuel or public transport

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I find it funny when people spend hours and money driving etc to get the best rate on amounts like £1/200 when the reality is a difference of pennies often but paying pounds to park and fuel or public transport

Agreed, hence why I asked in an earlier post how much was the OP looking to exchange

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Always go to Picadilly Circus if looking for Eros -someone needed to say it.

To be strictly correct, the statue you refer to is actually Anteros, his twin brother, and not Eros, but at least somebody has made the point re the original post :wink:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seems to me a bit daft to be scrubbing around to achieve a pitifully better rate that probably works out at about the price of a pint over the course of most people's two week holiday spending money, then happily incurring more than that in charges by using a cashpoint machine abroad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here