Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Console purchase advice

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
We have an Xbox 360 which is, essentially, a Plants v Zombies Garden Warfare machine for my 7-y-o.

We want to get him a new console for Christmas and are tending towards the Xbox One for no good reason other than already having a 360.

1) Is there anything obvious we'd miss out in buying an Xbox over a PS4?

2) Is there any real need to pay what seems to be quite a premium for the 1tb Xbox over the 500gb one?

Thanks and that.

Slightly O/T, you may be interested in this?
I'm going with my nephews :thumbsup:

https://www.wegeekninja.com

SicilianHungary

Dec 5, 2015
I'm glad this discussion has come up - I've recently sold my 360 so am looking to upgrade.

I have been an Xbox man since we won the first one at the Junior Seagulls Chrimbo party back in 2003, when I was 10, but have flittered with a PS2 and PSP. I have no general preference for either of the current systems, but still can't decide either way.

At the end of the day I'm only really playing Fifa, Fallout and LA Noire. Could do with a Gran Turismo/Forza comparison however.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Of the consoles at the moment, unless you're a fan of a particular franchise (Forza, Gran Turismo, Mario, Unchartered) then I'd be inclined to get a Nintendo Switch.

I can't believe I'm writing this as the last Nintendo I owned was an N64 and I'm not a big fan of their YouTube tactics.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
We have both an Xbox One and a PS4. The PS 4 gets much more use than the xbox in our house. The best thing about the xbox one over the PS4 is the kinect but sadly microsoft got bored of that pretty quick so there is only limited games that use it but its great fun. The main reason the PS4 gets more use is my sons friends all play PS4 so he can play online with them. Apparently no one has xbox anymore according to him.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We have both an Xbox One and a PS4. The PS 4 gets much more use than the xbox in our house. The best thing about the xbox one over the PS4 is the kinect but sadly microsoft got bored of that pretty quick so there is only limited games that use it but its great fun. The main reason the PS4 gets more use is my sons friends all play PS4 so he can play online with them. Apparently no one has xbox anymore according to him.

Maybe this comes down to the console exclusive stuff I know nothing about, but presumably most of the big games are on both systems and when playing online, you can be on any machine as it's running on some platform-agnostic server owned by the games publisher? Or is that view wrong?

Is it really the case that if there's a big title on both systems, Xbox users can only play against Xbox users and PS4 users can only play against PS4 users?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In your circumstances, Darren, I'd 100% go for a Nintendo Switch - for it's multiplayer and portability.

Best deal around: Nintendo Switch Neon with Super Mario Odyssey & Mario Rabbids - £299 - from 10am tomorrow at Amazon.

Of the consoles at the moment, unless you're a fan of a particular franchise (Forza, Gran Turismo, Mario, Unchartered) then I'd be inclined to get a Nintendo Switch.

I can't believe I'm writing this as the last Nintendo I owned was an N64 and I'm not a big fan of their YouTube tactics.

Thing is, he doesn't want a Nintendo Switch.

I'm not really up for buying him something he has no interest in.

"I asked Father Christmas for an Xbox One so I could play Plants v Zombies Garden Warfare 2 but he bought me a Nintendo Switch and Mario. WTF was he thinking of?"

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Fair enough. PS4 then.

I have Xbox One, but agree that other kids (and work colleagues) mostly seem to have PS4, so better for multiplayer.

Some great deals still around.

(I actually bought a PS4 Pro, extra controller and 4 games for £230 on Thursday night. Epic Currys misprice which they've vowed to honour)

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Maybe this comes down to the console exclusive stuff I know nothing about, but presumably most of the big games are on both systems and when playing online, you can be on any machine as it's running on some platform-agnostic server owned by the games publisher? Or is that view wrong?

Is it really the case that if there's a big title on both systems, Xbox users can only play against Xbox users and PS4 users can only play against PS4 users?

Thats the problem, even if you have the same game on xbox or ps4 you can only play against those on the same platform. There is no way currently of playing between different consoles.

At 7 this won't be a factor as such but my son is 13 and it is very much you have to have the console your mates have.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thats the problem, even if you have the same game on xbox or ps4 you can only play against those on the same platform. There is no way currently of playing between different consoles.

At 7 this won't be a factor as such but my son is 13 and it is very much you have to have the console your mates have.

Thanks - I had no idea. I had assumed that EA et al would have central servers that all users of all platforms accessed. Food for thought.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] Most important thing to find out is what his friends have. Both the Xbox One and PS4 are designed to be connected to the internet, and though he may be a little young to go into the full world of online gaming, he'll probably want to play FIFA Ultimate Team (it's the most interesting thing about the game) and more importantly beat his friends with a solid defensive display from a picture perfect Dunk and Duffy.

The Xbox One S is the cheapest thing on the market. You can get a console with Minecraft and the Minecraft story games, plus FIFA 18 for around £200. You'll pay around £30 more for a PS4 (not a PS4 pro) that is slightly weaker in performance but has bigger storage with FIFA only. (Just buy a cheap and easy 1tb hard drive if the 500gb gets filled up).

I had an Xbox 360 before upgrading to an Xbox One and for the most part, especially as a kid, I have spent it playing online games with a group of mates from School. Sony seem pretty anti cross platform multiplayer so find out which consoles his mates have first. He'll be able to swap games, play online with them, or if he's having lots of mates round, always have enough controllers for most to play.

The_NitramJohn

Feb 18, 2012
Always found this console was a lot of fun.
Would recommend the Gun add on, as a good future Birthday present! [emoji41]

f31047c8f77d48d908aef51e8acb2c64.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here