Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Boxing Day v Arsenal, trains.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Do bore off, there's a good chap. The Amex is uniquely situated and so good public transport was part of the conditions in order for us to have planning permission. Which league are Sunderland in again?

But sky's money dictates all if you are in the premier League.

League one and to be honest it's the most fun supporting the club for a while

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
But sky's money dictates all if you are in the premier League.

League one and to be honest it's the most fun supporting the club for a while
But you are complaining that another team's fans are upset about a complete lack of trains to their stadium. Why?

Haha i agree about league one btw.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
The club have had several fixtures at the Amex with either no or limited train travel (strikes) including one previous Boxing Day fixture. Its not ideal but the shuttle bus service, extra car parks, and park and ride that they lay on on these occasions ensure nearly everyone gets there in decent time. Its not impractical as a one off or chaos as some have described it. Expensive for the club and not something they want to do a lot of but its very very unlikely the ground will be half full etc.

Sorry but it is totally impractical, our problem is being an out of town club we rely massively on public transport which in general is satisfactory. However with the Boxing Day home fixture it is going to be a nightmare. If the fixture had been moved to the first TV slot and a morning or lunchtime kick off it might have eased the pain as at least access to and from the ground would have been in daylight, maybe walk off your turkey with a stroll to Lewes.
How many buses will it take to shuttle 30k fans and how long will it take, I normally stay for a pint or two and let the queue at Falmer die down and more often than not walk straight on to the platform. Thousands queuing for a bus with many not having a clue where to go just isn't safe.
I genuinely think the club and authorities have cocked up on this occasion and should have said "No" to the late kick off for the sake of a few thousand arm chair supporters, who will probably have to change channel half way through because Aunty Flo wants to watch the Christmas Strictly Special, Fabulous, it's going to be a disasters darling.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Would be a nice and extremely useful :xmas: gesture if one-off cab ranks could be set up at the stadium to serve Brighton and Lewes stations with a flat fee (£5?) per passenger conditional on full occupancy cab-sharing. Dare say there's a dozen bye-laws to say why it's verboten. But on the off-chance that there aren't...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
At the end of the day the police could intervene and say it is not practical to play it at 5,.30 so No you are not going to. They have more power than Sky surely taking into account safety etc..

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The 12.30 kick off on Boxing Day is Fulham v Wolves who have a similar problem no trains to Wolverhampton. I dont understand this as it is supposed to be PUBLIC TRANSPORT and as such they should have to provide a service to serve the public and if needed adjust the fares accordingly I accept the argument about workers having time off but there are many jobs in the service industry that working inconvenient hours are accepted and if the pay is right many would willingly work Boxing Day.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
People that coped with christmas day fixtures all those years ago must be wondering what the fuss is all about

TBF those were the days before 'sustainable transport policies' and a stadium that was more central to Brighton and Hove than the Amex.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Can foresee large numbers of STH hoping to dump their tickets on the Ticket Exchange and spending the proceeds on a NOW TV Day Pass. SKY win again.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So. What is the deal with trains on Boxing Day? Are they running or not?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Who ultimately has the power to refuse to allow this and the game at Fulham to be played at the times shown? I was thinking of a petition to that authority. or letters of protest sent by supporters to Rt Hon Jeremy Wright MP the minister for Sports and Culture.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It appears limited service Victoria to Brighton then Brighton to Lewes to get you to the game but none to get you home, well that is how I read it. Not sure that is 100% correct..

There’s no trains after the game?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here