Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Under 23's at Lancing tomorrow

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
How much do you want?

He developed at Mervue United in Galway. In December 2014 he won the club's A Player of the Year award at their Juvenile Awards night. In 2015 he helped the club's U-15s complete the league and cup double. Later that year, in August, he helped the Mervue U-16 side win their competition at the International Youth Games in Denmark, scoring a hat-trick in a 3-0 win in the final.

In the second half of 2015 he made 7 starts for the Mervue United U-17 side, scoring 15 goals. In 2016 he continued to score freely for the Mervue U-16 and U-17 sides. In May 2016 he won the Airtricity League U-17 Player of the Year award at Mervue's Awards Night.

At international level, in August 2014 he was named in a Republic of Ireland U-15 squad to compete in the Hibernia Umbro Trophy. Three months later he made a couple of appearances for the U-15s against Poland, earned more caps in January 2015 and scored his first international goal to give Ireland a 1-0 win over the Netherlands in April 2015.

He was named Player of the Tournament when a Republic of Ireland U-16 Development Squad won all 4 matches in the Mayo International Cup in August 2015; Connolly scored six of the Republic's 15 goals. He made his U-17 debut in September 2015 when he started against Hungary. He was a part of Ireland's U-16 Victory Shield squad in 2015-16, scoring in the 2-1 loss to Wales. He was a member of the U-16 squad for the UEFA Development Tournament that took place in Hungary in early May 2016 but he wasn't involved in the three matches.

Connolly joined the Albion in the summer to start his scholarship. He has been eased into the U-18 side; of his 14 appearances at that level so far, 8 have been starts and the other 6 have been from the bench. His goal in the FA Youth Cup against Cambridge United on Friday was his 4th for the U-18s. He was a member of the Republic of Ireland U-17 squad that played three matches in Andorra in October in the first qualification phase of the 2017 UEFA U-17 European Championship. He scored a goal in each of the three matches as Ireland topped the group and now go on to face hosts Cyprus, Slovakia and the Faroe Islands in the Elite Qualifying phase in March.

His start for the U-23s last night was his debut at that level; it took him 7 minutes to find the net, adding a second for good measure in the second half.

That's all I got.

So we are not getting all giddy about him then......

It hasn't been a bad week for Aaron Connolly.

The former Mervue United striker signed for Brighton and Hove Albion in July but, in the space of three days, he has the Seagulls fans all feeling very, very giddy.

Connolly's just 16 - his 17th birthday isn't until the end of January - and his exploits in the FA Youth Cup, followed by his debut for the club's under-23s show that he is a precocious talent beyond all his years.

A man who never even saw the light of the 20th century, the Republic of Ireland underage sensation is threatening to make the 21st century his own and it couldn't be coming at a better time - what, with the Irish forward production seemingly grinding to a halt.

The last striker line-up that Martin O'Neill brought to Austria makes for grim reading.

Shane Long, who turns 30 in a few days, was injured for that qualifier and James McClean was chosen to play up front instead.

But there are men on the way. Men like Aaron Connolly.

In the FA Youth Cup on Friday, Connolly guided Brighton to a 2-0 win over Cambridge to help the under-18s reach the fifth round.

'The Seagulls took the lead on 72 minutes when substitute Cashman played a short pass inside for Connolly, and the striker curled a wonderful effort beyond Iron into the far corner,' the Albion report read.

That was Friday.

By Monday, he was fast-tracked into the club's under-23 squad for the first time. The outcome was similar.

Two goals later and another 90 minutes later, the Irishman has very much caught the eye of fans of one of the best sides in the Championship.

"The Seagulls took the lead after just seven minutes when Connolly latched onto Tom Dallison’s lofted pass forward, and the young striker dispatched into the bottom corner with ease," the under-23 report read.
He scored the first. He forced the second.

"On 57 minutes, Albion doubled their lead when Dylan Barnett’s cross from the right wing was diverted into his own net by Rice, following pressure from Connolly inside the penalty area."
And he scored the third.

"Jordan Davies had an immediate impact after coming on to make his debut for the club, as he set the ball back for Connolly, and the striker bent his effort into the far corner to secure his brace, and Albion’s third, on 74 minutes. "

This kid's got a bright future. And don't the Brighton fans just know it.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/1...n-u18s-friday-scores-twice-u23s-monday/109753

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The club are very poor at promoting these games and FA Cup early round home games. Its like they would rather keep them cheap to steward rather than get the younger players a large crowd.

Still I have my ticket and look forward to an evening game, as the next three games in Januray at our Training ground in Lancing are all 13.00 KO's on a Monday. We have sent a lot out on loan now so we have this and an away game at Pagham in the cup on Wednesday so have to use all the avalible players I imagine.

The game at Pagham has been postponed due to a frozen pitch, in case anyone was thinking of going.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I got told twice last night not to take a photo of the team sheet or any photos by a steward. Seemed strange as it was broadcast on Seagulls Player and I have never been told to not take photos at any other level of football game I have watched.

I've seen a lot of games at Southampton's academy - all age groups- and taking photos is very strictly forbidden.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here