Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
What a wonderful response I am so glad that in some little way I have brought some sunshine into your life and brightened your day.

I can now sleep soundly in the knowledge that harmony within the out/in voters is far closer than it was before.

Could you not have made this post a bit more smug and patronising.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Are the spoilt brats still whining over a defeat. At least my 3yr old granddaughter gets over hers and moves on. Can one of these please explain why they don't mention the 200k plus job losses in the banking sector over the last few years with bank closures and so on, but they harp on about possible losses in the future when they are unlikely to happen

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Are the spoilt brats still whining over a defeat. At least my 3yr old granddaughter gets over hers and moves on. Can one of these please explain why they don't mention the 200k plus job losses in the banking sector over the last few years with bank closures and so on, but they harp on about possible losses in the future when they are unlikely to happen

On your last point, there will be losses in the banking industry in the future as part of the drive to digitalisation and the increased use of artificial intelligence. This occurs at a global level, rather than being UK- or Brexit-specific. Financial services will require far fewer employees over the next decade (and beyond), but that's not a debate for this thread.

Anyway, as you were.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Guess that's why you voted remain then. It all makes sense now, as far as you are concerned, at least.

Partly, I believe it is in all our best interests though, not just mine.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

There is some pretty robust stuff going on on both sides of this debate but there is one thing I genuinely don't understand. What are those arguing the anti-Brexit case (and certainly the anti-hard Brexit case) described by their opponents as being moaning, whingeing, whining spoilt brats? Would the Brexiters on here have described Farage and his chums that way if the referendum result had been reversed - because as sure as heck they wouldn't have packed up. They didn't pack up in the nineties when parliamentary majorities and clear election results went against them and Farage made it clear just before the referendum that they wouldn't pack up if they lost this time.

I don't know the answer. It might simply be that some NSC Brexiters are too ready to descend to playground abuse or it might be (and I'm trying to help them here) that they are genuinely cross about something in particular. If the latter, that something might be the suggestion that many Leave voters were making a general point on June 23 rather than commenting on specific EU issues. That subject came up again on a Sky debate this week. One contributor said that the referendum showed that millions of people were fed up with being ignored and lied to and, by implication, that's why they voted as they did. A generally furious Brexit supporter in the studio didn't disagree at all with this. Most open-minded people wouldn't, but if that debate had been on North Stand Chat, I suspect that Brexit supporters would be ranting about moaning remainers whining that all Brexiters are ignorant racists. Which of course is untrue.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If May (rightly) delivers something like real Brexit it won't go 'Pete Tong' unless the EU decides to take such a hard line in negotiations that it causes significant economic damage on all sides. I doubt this will happen as money/vested interests usually hold sway and the EU ..specifically the Eurozone countries are in no position to play hardball. To be clear I am not saying we can expect the same deal as we have now but the final agreement will most likely be economically palatable.

If you keep predicting a recession (1,2,5,10 years?) at some point it will inevitably happen ... linking it to Brexit is, of course, a given.

The longest you will have to wait for a recession is 2 years, when we are out and we cannot trade in the same way we can today. But I really do not think you will have to wait that long. More important is how long and deep the recession, rather than when exactly it hits.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

If they were in any related to our membership of the EU, or related to our withdrawal from it, we would. Losses in the finance sector in the future, related to Brexit are not unlikely, they are highly likely, it is just a guess as to how many.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
There is some pretty robust stuff going on on both sides of this debate but there is one thing I genuinely don't understand. What are those arguing the anti-Brexit case (and certainly the anti-hard Brexit case) described by their opponents as being moaning, whingeing, whining spoilt brats? Would the Brexiters on here have described Farage and his chums that way if the referendum result had been reversed - because as sure as heck they wouldn't have packed up. They didn't pack up in the nineties when parliamentary majorities and clear election results went against them and Farage made it clear just before the referendum that they wouldn't pack up if they lost this time.

I don't know the answer. It might simply be that some NSC Brexiters are too ready to descend to playground abuse or it might be (and I'm trying to help them here) that they are genuinely cross about something in particular. If the latter, that something might be the suggestion that many Leave voters were making a general point on June 23 rather than commenting on specific EU issues. That subject came up again on a Sky debate this week. One contributor said that the referendum showed that millions of people were fed up with being ignored and lied to and, by implication, that's why they voted as they did. A generally furious Brexit supporter in the studio didn't disagree at all with this. Most open-minded people wouldn't, but if that debate had been on North Stand Chat, I suspect that Brexit supporters would be ranting about moaning remainers whining that all Brexiters are ignorant racists. Which of course is untrue.

We are seen as spoiling the party, I would be getting annoyed with anyone as pessimistic as I am about Brexit, if I thought it had an even chance, I am generally an optimist. However all I can see, is that there is an even chance of things being a bit better or a bit worse, after a long period of definitely worse.
I asked a while ago if the optimistic leavers expect to be able to sell financial services at similar volume in the EU after Brexit, those that replied said yes, I hope that they are right but I don't see that happening.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Some of your previous posts were at least rational, even if many of us disagreed with them. On the sauce or getting desperate? Your choice.

If you could point out the irrationality of the post, I might be stuck with the options you have provided, but just labeling something irrational doesn't cut it mate.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

My genuine suspicion here, absolutely not something to try and score points, is that who use expressions like remoaners and whingers are nothing like as confident in the long term outcome as they propose to be. It's the normal behaviour of someone lacking confidence to seek reinforcing views from others and obviously in the case of Brexit there are some very loud contrary opinions. One simple fact is that we still really don't know what brexit means, May has had several unsuccessful attempts to define it, as have others but that lack of definitely probably contributes to the uncertainty.

On a broader note, to define people on the wrong side of a vote as bad losers or whingers is pathetic - It's not a football match where it's all done after 90 mins, it has far reaching implications that people on both sides are very concerned about. When the tories won the 2015 election I didn't suddenly give up on my left wing views and start agreeing with the privatisation of the NHS so why should I now go along with brexit?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
On a broader note, to define people on the wrong side of a vote as bad losers or whingers is pathetic - It's not a football match where it's all done after 90 mins, it has far reaching implications that people on both sides are very concerned about. When the tories won the 2015 election I didn't suddenly give up on my left wing views and start agreeing with the privatisation of the NHS so why should I now go along with brexit?

Well perhaps stop asking for confirmation on things you absolutely can never perceive as even slightly agreeable in your personal political psyche, Brexit in any of it forms will be deemed unacceptable to you, you can only ever be satisfied if what is delivered is something that you find wholly preferable, something that will never happen.

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
My genuine suspicion here, absolutely not something to try and score points, is that who use expressions like remoaners and whingers are nothing like as confident in the long term outcome as they propose to be. It's the normal behaviour of someone lacking confidence to seek reinforcing views from others and obviously in the case of Brexit there are some very loud contrary opinions. One simple fact is that we still really don't know what brexit means, May has had several unsuccessful attempts to define it, as have others but that lack of definitely probably contributes to the uncertainty.

How about you answer question #110 on the thread "so the fact he was carrying a gun " ? Why are you avoiding answering ?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Well perhaps stop asking for confirmation on things you absolutely can never perceive as even slightly agreeable in your personal political psyche, Brexit in any of it forms will be deemed unacceptable to you, you can only ever be satisfied if what is delivered is something that you find wholly preferable, something that will never happen.

I'm finding it difficult to work out what this means I'm afraid. Add 'slow-witted' to the charge-sheet.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

If any of you were saying that the main reason you voted out was because you would just feel happier being out, I could not argue with you much, only to suggest you may be a masochist. What makes you happy is your choice. I can understand the dissatisfaction with the EU and some of what it brings, I am too, most of the benefits are less easily seen, though they do exist and are real.
It is the attempts at logical argument of how we will be better off out both as a country and as working people that I personally find myself rankling against the most.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Yout are correct on one point, you don't know the answer, and no matter how many times the pro Brexit posters explain the reasons...you are still trying to put out other reasons that YOU think people voted out.

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
Are you on the right thread?

Yes , [MENTION=12706]mikeyjh[/MENTION] has been avoiding answering a question, because to answer it truthfully will not suit his general stance , so I am just reminding him, whether it's through cowardice or what, I don't know , but hopefully this will spur him into answering.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Yes , [MENTION=12706]mikeyjh[/MENTION] has been avoiding answering a question, because to answer it truthfully will not suit his general stance , so I am just reminding him, whether it's through cowardice or what, I don't know , but hopefully this will spur him into answering.

Blimey Fred that's a long time ago

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here