Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this really necessary in the UK?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
"The aviation policing team later tweeted that the last cones were being removed from the M4 spur road".,.,........... That's a bit harsh.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
My office is a bit thin on the ground today but a quick vox pop of the 3 people of West Indian heritage, 4 of African heritage and 2 of Pakistani origin all say that it's not really an issue in the UK and they don't see the point of it. Admittedly, it's not a scientific study but still pretty conclusive.

Fair enough. There are four black members of my immediate family and I am pretty sure that they haven't experienced any significant racism. From what I can see, it isn't generally a serious or growing problem in our country, although I'll stick with my view that white blokes like me might not be the best judges.

daveybgtt

May 12, 2010
North Sompting
I'm very quick to judge on appearance and forum posts, and it has nothing to do with race, so I am obviously the LEAST racist member of the forum, a title many seem to aspire too.

emot-colbert.gif

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

"African-Caribbean people are six times more likely than whites to be diagnosed as schizophrenic, but research shows this is nothing to do with biology."

That's the point I'm making, it's not genetic so therefore it is to do with black people's living conditions ergo they are at a societal disadvantage. You are supporting my point.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
The slogan seems to me to be so trivially correct that a protest like this is actually quite insulting.

I wonder how many people whose holidays were ruined actually believe that black lives don't matter?

I believe that such an aggravating protest risks creating division, rather than harmony.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I'm not sure that is right. Didn't Boston have one of the highest percentage of leave voters and the highest number of Eastern European migrants living in the area?

I'm writing from memory so apologies if there are minor errors, but there seems to be no consistent link between local immigration levels and hostility towards EU immigration. You're right about Boston and other agricultural towns (including Peterborough) in eastern England being strongly Leave. Another striking example is Grimethorpe in south Yorkshire, where a specific local issue led to extreme Brexitism. This spilled over into surrounding towns such as Barnsley and Rotherham which, in spite of not having the same EU immigration issues as Grimethorpe, became virtual no-go areas for Remain campaigners when the police advised they couldn't guarantee their safety.

At the same time though, large cities across the country, including the North, voted Remain in spite of large immigrant populations. And areas such as Cumbria, with very few EU immigrants, were strong Leave voters. The only constituency with a UKIP MP has, to the best of my knowledge, very few immigrants.

So on balance I'd say that Notters' use of the word 'often' made his comment correct.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
It's bullshit, ok so I have a white father and a black mother, does that mean my mother's life matters more than my father's. Divisive crap if you ask me.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The OP used the phrase "Or is it just another opportunity to portray yourself as a victim." It's perfectly clear what the intention of this thread is.

I'm merely making the point that black people in this country ARE the victim. Statistically. It's not even a debate.

Just watched the ITV news where one of those fanatics was interviewed and he came up with the following: "Black peoples' lives are disrupted every day". I neither believe nor accept such an absurdly exaggerated statement, but imagine you would swallow this readily.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
So what we really need is a group called 'poor lives matter' that way we can look at ways to address the factors that influence people of all races that live in poverty. To me this is a start, if groups like these can have a positive influence on people's lives then I don't see a problem with it.

Of course it is a start with you - as ever you are not bearing the brunt of the protests. Thousands of innocent folk were severely disrupted today, many of whom, for all we know, may well sympathise with the message, but you don't see a problem with it. Isn't that just typical? Disruption such as this is hardly likely to garner much public support, let alone have a positive influence, but the usual ivory tower attitude commends it.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It's bullshit, ok so I have a white father and a black mother, does that mean my mother's life matters more than my father's. Divisive crap if you ask me.

Agreed and well put Razzoo ! I have a black uncle , which is quite rare in my generation. It feels like these protestors are using a whole group of people to further their activist agenda and they don't mind what division is created as a consequence. It feels instinctively wrong to brand people as racists when we should be sitting down together and discussing the issues.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Agreed and well put Razzoo ! I have a black uncle , which is quite rare in my generation. It feels like these protestors are using a whole group of people to further their activist agenda and they don't mind what division is created as a consequence. It feels instinctively wrong to brand people as racists when we should be sitting down together and discussing the issues.

Absolutely. Their aim is to polarise opinion, and in this way, they hope to gain support, which they know would otherwise not be forthcoming. Often the way with loud, unrepresentative, but thoroughly determined minorities.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
What a load of bollocks, it's not like the police are gunning down a black bloke everyday like in the States. If it's once in a while all hell breaks lose wether guilty or not. Guess what whites lives matter too :rolleyes:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So what we really need is a group called 'poor lives matter' that way we can look at ways to address the factors that influence people of all races that live in poverty.

and thus completely devaluing the whole point of the original slogan "black lives matter" because people were getting killed. well done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here