Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
The End of Alchemy: Money, Banking and the Future of the Global Economy / Mervyn King

Shame he wasn't this bold during his tenure at the BoE.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
The Great Game by Peter Hopkirk

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Digital Fortress - Dan Brpwn

I know I know.... just needed something easy to read and quite enjoy a conspirecy theory, this he does well.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Ordered Peter James new Roy Grace book. should be delivered today - looking forward to it

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Just finished the latest Peter James - Love You Dead. Superb, as ever - in fact, best of the bunch?

Just started reading the novelisation of Star Wars: The Force Awakens as it apparently has a lot more detail and revelation of "stuff". Also, bought "We Want Falmer" up at the Amex on Saturday after visiting the museum (was going to get the book at some point anyway, but ended up in the shop after the museum visit so got that, and picked up a hoodie which was in the sale).

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Just finished a book called The Surgeon of Crowthorne by James Winchester for my book club. Wasn't my choice, however, it was a fairly quick fairly interesting read about someone in Broadmoor and their contribution to the creation of the Oxford English Dictionary. The author tells the story well, but it could easily be condensed to 100 pages. Probably less.

Started Oil! by Upton Sinclair. Not enjoying it too much. Easy to read but lacks any of the subtlety of The Jungle - which I really enjoyed.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes. This is a whopper of a book at nearly 900 pages. I don't usually go in for books of this length but this one has me hooked.
Brilliant, isn't it?

Not usually my preferred genre, but I was utterly hooked too. Apparently there will be at least one sequel in due course.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm about 10% of the way through A Strangeness of Mind by Turkish author Orhan Pamuk.

Another from the Man Booker International Prize shortlist. A pleasantly light read so far. I'm going to see how many of these I can read until the Man Booker longlist is published and then I'll cracking on with those.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Hooked lately on Robin Hobb. Just reading 7th book in a row. First the Farseer Trilogy, then the Liveship Trilogy and now started the Tawny Man trilogy book one.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
I'm reading Joseph Roth's The Emperor's Tomb, thanks to the recommendation from [MENTION=24816]Guy Crouchback[/MENTION] (whatever happened to him?)

Up to my ears with work, not much time to spend online, but I still check NSC every now and again. It's good to hear you're reading Roth--his books capture the Central European nostalgia for "good old days" perfectly.

Recently I have been reading/re-reading everything by John B. Keane - my favourite Irish writer and the first recipient of Irish PEN award in 1999. His books are on Irish school curriculums, some of them have been televised, yet he is virtually unknown outside the "Emerald Isle" (some anthologies of Irish literature completely ignore him, even though they include many of his, perhaps less prominent, contemporaries).

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
A return to form, I thought. Up there with The Black Dahlia, LA Confidential and American Tabloid.

Dudley Smith is extraordinary anti-hero.

Agreed. Of those you've listed, American Tabloid is my favourite.

Ellroy's prose isn't for everyone, but his books are brilliant. So rich, so dark, so compelling etc.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I've just finished the latest Peter James novel - Love You Dead, the Roy Grace detective series set in Brighton. I have to say, I wasn't overly impressed with this book or the previous one. I fear he's running out of ideas, as the stories seem to be getting rather ridiculous!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here