Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shops gone that you miss

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hello,

Anyone else remember Attrix Records in Sydney Street, and Vinyl Demand, somewhere off Trafalgar Street? Many happy teenage hours and much money spent in those places.

First post, btw....

Welcome to NSC!

Used to love Attrix, home of The Chefs and the Vaultage albums! Rick & Julie Blair were Brighton's answer to Malcolm McLaren and Vivien Westwood :lol:

If you liked Attrix, you'll LOVE this...

http://www.punkbrighton.co.uk/

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Wavy Line...

There was a good one in the little parade of shops opposite Hill Barn Garage, in Sompting, by the Joyful Whippet.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Any oldies remember Captain Submarine in whatever that street is called directly opposite Brighton town Hall? Sort of an infinitely-better forerunner of Subway with foot-longs worth double-parking for.

geoff2021

Jun 22, 2009
Michael barrie was in east st, me thinks the gog shop was in western road part of cobleys run by Michael lowrie

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
Fond memories of Snot and Nasty punk shops in Air Street - dayglo striped socks and lumo leopard print t-shirts my favourite , Virgin Records in Queens Rd and Vinyl Demand for anything punk, new wave and electronic. Wicks Models and Toys opposite the level for a new Scalextric car then into the open market with me dad for a crab from one of the many fishmongers straddled down the centre aisle. Jack Ball fishing tackle in Edward St for lugworm and second hand tackle before a Saturday morning fishing trip on the PALACE pier catching pouting and a cold. Alpine Sports basement - the smell of griptape....Python 3's and Kryptonic seconds were all I could afford.

Alpine Sports - there's a blast from the past! I went in there 37 years ago and bought my best skateboard. It had a fibreglass Pacer deck with California Slalom Trucks and orange 70mm Kryptonics. I loved that board! I seem to recall there was a skatepark down near the seafront in Brighton under some arches back in the day too?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Sportspages on Charing Cross road

what a place, used to buy my fanzines there

So much this. That place was utterly lethal at pulling money out of my bank account. Although clearly not enough to stay in business, sadly.

Another vote for the Virgin on Western Road: somewhere that was so substantial so relatively recently is a real shame to lose - used to love that place. Never cared for its replacement in Churchill Square either.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Welcome to NSC!

Used to love Attrix, home of The Chefs and the Vaultage albums! Rick & Julie Blair were Brighton's answer to Malcolm McLaren and Vivien Westwood :lol:

If you liked Attrix, you'll LOVE this...

http://www.punkbrighton.co.uk/

Agreed! The Chefs (singer 'Helen McCookerybook), The Objeks, Birds With Ears, etc.

I went to school with one of the guys who used to work there, Stuart (Stewy) Jones, and whenever I went in their Sidney Street shop, he'd play me new bands and albums.

Him and John Peel were my 'music mentors' in the early 1980s!

Halcyon days.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Woolworths and Fine Fare on London Road as that's where i and a good/bad few of the other St Barts crew began our youthful thievings.
And Filbys where i bought my first Raleigh bike for about 50 notes in around 1983. There was a sweet shop on Lewes Road too so close to home in which i bought plenty of quarters of bon bons.

Alpine Sports - there's a blast from the past! I went in there 37 years ago and bought my best skateboard. It had a fibreglass Pacer deck with California Slalom Trucks and orange 70mm Kryptonics. I loved that board! I seem to recall there was a skatepark down near the seafront in Brighton under some arches back in the day too?

That would be 'The Cage' with the big blue thundering bowl. Blondie 'Picture This' and Boomtown Rats 'Rat Trap' constantly on loop as the wheels went round.....good times indeed.
http://www.brighton-hove-rpml.org.u...ers/Pages/cultureskateboardinginbrighton.aspx

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here