Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Paced beautifully by Mr Blobby and GB to get me to 5k on 25". Second 5k about 23" 27'. At the Power station turn had a friendly Spanish guy on my tail. Tried to lose him with little bursts but he stayed. Kept going steady and he was there. Got to 5 miles and thought I had to lose him. Upped the pace and he stayed. Then let him in front with last km hoping to catch him on the run in. Caught up near the end but 20m back. Good 3 mile contest and had a good chat after.
Interesting that time didn't come into it for me in this challenge. It was about winning. The winner wasn't me but he pushed me. Nice to run over 4 miles for the first time in a year.

Few beers in the Brunswick didn't do any harm at all.

Blimey! I didn't know it had been that long...

Sounds like a cracking evening out. Well done all. Just got my official time for BTT – 47:55 and 57/330th.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Really pleased with that. Set out with a target of 47 to 47:30 and came in at 47:13.

For once did not start too quick and maintained steady pace throughout with km 8 and 9 slightly slower due to the wind. Very happy with those splits.

Phoenix 10k is really one of my favourite events - I think because of the midweek evening timing it atttacts the whole Brighton and Hove running community so loads of support and a great catch up in the pub afterwards.
IMG_2349.PNG

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Really pleased with that. Set out with a target of 47 to 47:30 and came in at 47:13.

For once did not start too quick and maintained steady pace throughout with km 8 and 9 slightly slower due to the wind. Very happy with those splits.

Phoenix 10k is really one of my favourite events - I think because of the midweek evening timing it atttacts the whole Brighton and Hove running community so loads of support and a great catch up in the pub afterwards.
View attachment 87155

Congrats to the NSC runners who flew the flag at the Phoenix. some good running - and drinking too.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
http://www.sportsystems.co.uk/ss/results/Brighton Phoenix 10K/2947. Results here.

Immediately checked for Juan, who pushed me, in results. Hoped I'd started behind him in the corral and had won on chip time. No such luck he was 10 seconds behind at the start and 17 seconds up on chip time. Must stop chasing men in their early 40's.....

Got progressive negative mile splits and paced it to a level of enjoyment. Achilles better this morning than yesterday but it's getting a 10 day rest.

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
Ran my first ever £10k at Phoenix. Really pleased with chip time of 50:17. So tough going back in wind beyond any distance I've run before. Sorry I couldn't catch up with NSC runners (caught a lift other seaford striders). Well done all those that ran.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ran my first ever £10k at Phoenix. Really pleased with chip time of 50:17. So tough going back in wind beyond any distance I've run before. Sorry I couldn't catch up with NSC runners (caught a lift other seaford striders). Well done all those that ran.

Well done on losing your virginity. Me and my Spanish amigo went by a peleton of Seaford Striders on the run in. Were you in the group or running solo? Certainly good running with people.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Blimey! I didn't know it had been that long...

Sounds like a cracking evening out. Well done all. Just got my official time for BTT – 47:55 and 57/330th.

Had an email from Strava yesterday congratulating me on running 75 miles this year. Cheeky *****. That's an easy days run for some on here.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Even you would have been 80th upwards!

Yes, I noticed that. My PB (never thought I'd actually beat my Dunsfold Aerodrome time) of 38:31 bagged me 26th place at Yateley, 8th in my age category.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
52.38 chip time for me. A minute down on Worthing but with no training & coming home in to a head wind I was more pleased with it. Wooden spoon but last out of the pub with [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] to make up for it.

Great evening & good to catch up. I hurt a bit now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
Well done on losing your virginity. Me and my Spanish amigo went by a peleton of Seaford Striders on the run in. Were you in the group or running solo? Certainly good running with people.

No started out slow make sure I got the trip, you would have overtaken 3 younger women and my 65-69 yr old mentor. Maybe next year the peleton!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
51.34 for me. [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] was stalking me for about 4.5kms before disappearing into the sunset and leaving me to battle the headwind alone (once you reached the turning point by carats cafe at 5km). 25.30 for the first 5k, but the headwind was pretty cruel and a slower second 5k, the price you pay for pacing the ELITE athletes! A lovely pint of Arise (Burning Sky brewery) in the pub afterwards, wanted more but had to drive home so was a good boy!

So 6 x 10ks done this year, one more to go next month, but I guess the Arundel one will not be flat!! Glad I have a 6 week rest now between races.

This is what I have left this year, just one to book for November and then I will have done at least one race a month (other target is 1,000 miles for the year, on 517 after last night)

16.12.2017 18 Usual Suspects (Dover) Ultra Marathon
22.10.2017 17 Great South Run 10 miles
15.10.2017 16 Bright 10 10 miles
24.9.2017 15 Barns Green HM Half Marathon
27.8.2017 14 Arundel 10k

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
No started out slow make sure I got the trip, you would have overtaken 3 younger women and my 65-69 yr old mentor. Maybe next year the peleton!

Looking at the times of mr blobby and yourself knocky you may have passed me. Only 2 runners overtook me after 5k and only one in a blue vest with a shaved head surged past. There was a strider immediately ahead of Juan in the standings so you must of picked off two more of us

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Looking at the times of mr blobby and yourself knocky you may have passed me. Only 2 runners overtook me after 5k and only one in a blue vest with a shaved head surged past. There was a strider immediately ahead of Juan in the standings so you must of picked off two more of us

Black vest and shaved/bald head was me. Juan was the only runner to pass me. Starting off the pace makes you feel like you're winning rather than being 18 minutes behind the actual winner! A lesson for all.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Was having a heavy recovery run from the Phoenix at Hove Park today when a golden opportunity arose. A double buggy for twins went sailing and screaming by going up the last hill. I tailed it and then in the last 200m saw that he was going to get boxed in before the finish line. I got through the inside of the 7 runners at 5.11 minute mile pace and BAGGED my first buggy. A double one at that! Shame the two dogs beat me.....26" 30ish today.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I've joined the NSC walking wounded - right hamstrings seized up after 1km today. It's been hinting at giving me a problem for a few days but still surprised at how quickly it went. Hello ice-pack my old friend...................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here