Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reports of a van driving into a crowd of people in Finsbury Park

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
As I've already said more Muslims have been killed by ISIS than non-muslims (worldwide) so why simply refer to the Jihadis as Muslims if not to stir up the kind of hatred that led to today's attack?

I said all Jihadist are Muslim, and yes Muslims are victims of Islam too when it is used against them. They are their own worst enemy. Are you instructing people to put their heads in the sand, stay button lipped and ignore this ideology.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I believe you but because the Irish conflict was very much along religious lines it was probably more relevant - the fact that ISIS have killed more muslims than non muslims makes it absurd to simply refer to them as "Muslims"

Catholic terrorists were quite indiscriminate and quite regularly killed their own, whether from bombings or execution.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
On here, former Irish Terrorists are referred to as Catholic rather than Christian. In the present debate shouldn't consistency dictate that instead of Muslim the description should be Sunni or even Wahabi?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Rubbish! I lived in Croydon (unfortunately!) 20+years ago and there were hundreds of thousands of Muslims and no hint of trouble. The MI5 are occupied by Jihadi terrorists/extremists NOT Muslims so no it is not clear that Muslims are a major issue. (although I note from your post the other day you like spreading hate toward muslims no matter how false the information - do you not think that the spreading of vile hatred toward innocent people contributed toward the kind of attack that happened yesterday?)

Not sure about your maths ! Hundreds of thousands of muslims in Croydon ?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Why especially muslims? Don't get that.

The acts of a few have a profound affect on others. A rise in hate crimes, but the worst is the cloak of fear that people wear after these attacks take place (Manchester etc). The implied guilt that people apply when Muslims are viewed as collective after attrocities. If you expose yourself long enough to 'social' media it cannot be avoided. It's everywhere.

Look at it from their perspective. Seeing the crimes unfold and then reading the backlash. Now experiencing it. The attacks on the wider population have no cause to make me fearful and, if so, I question such fear. They are also indescriminate. Muslims die too. But if I belong to a smaller group, easily identified, and so despised by a rising number of neo-challenged people, I would be more worried.

No-one should have to experience this. Whatever walk of life they are from.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Pakistan is a basket case country, its population have an inferiority complex so strive to be ultra good muslims, ie radical. They are also the most inbred of muslim nations with the lowest average IQ because of first cousin marrages which most countries poscribe, this is what we import we then let the Saudis provide religious education and a legal system that is so spineless it ignores a child rape epidemic for a decade.

What where you expecting?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Pakistan is a basket case country, its population have an inferiority complex so strive to be ultra good muslims, ie radical. They are also the most inbred of muslim nations with the lowest average IQ because of first cousin marrages which most countries poscribe, this is what we import we then let the Saudis provide religious education and a legal system that is so spineless it ignores a child rape epidemic for a decade.

What where you expecting?

I must be mistaken here. I was expecting to see concern for a group of people who someone tried to kill last night.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The acts of a few have a profound affect on others. A rise in hate crimes, but the worst is the cloak of fear that people wear after these attacks take place (Manchester etc). The implied guilt that people apply when Muslims are viewed as collective after attrocities. If you expose yourself long enough to 'social' media it cannot be avoided. It's everywhere.

Look at it from their perspective. Seeing the crimes unfold and then reading the backlash. Now experiencing it. The attacks on the wider population have no cause to make me fearful and, if so, I question such fear. They are also indescriminate. Muslims die too. But if I belong to a smaller group, easily identified, and so despised by a rising number of neo-challenged people, I would be more worried.

No-one should have to experience this. Whatever walk of life they are from.

Please don't think for one moment this is an attack at you, it isn't. I used the underground most weekdays for 10 years, after 7/7. Every single day I looked out for possible Asian, I'll say Asian not muslim, attacks. Every single Asian with a back pack was a possible attacker. Now, I know that is wrong, but that is where we had, and have, got to. We look at anyone as a possible attacker. So please don't tell me it is worse for the muslim community than the, whatever you want to call it, British one I guess. We are ALL vulnerable.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Please don't think for one moment this is an attack at you, it isn't. I used the underground most weekdays for 10 years, after 7/7. Every single day I looked out for possible Asian, I'll say Asian not muslim, attacks. Every single Asian with a back pack was a possible attacker. Now, I know that is wrong, but that is where we had, and have, got to. We look at anyone as a possible attacker. So please don't tell me it is worse for the muslim community than the, whatever you want to call it, British one I guess. We are ALL vulnerable.

I understand your fears. It's natural. It is important to try and challenge them though. I mean that in a compassionate way. It's like when I was young I was taught to wary of black people. Nowadays it's not something I think about. Since 2005 there have been few incidents but each one re-enforces our fears and it happens it will be when least expected. Yes, we need extra security, but not to challenge our fears on a personal level, making measure against the realities, erodes our quality of life. I have experienced the same worries that you have. But they pass and we should help them on their way.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I understand your fears. It's natural. It is important to try and challenge them though. I mean that in a compassionate way. It's like when I was young I was taught to wary of black people. Nowadays it's not something I think about. Since 2005 there have been few incidents but each one re-enforces our fears and it happens it will be when least expected. Yes, we need extra security, but not to challenge our fears on a personal level, making measure against the realities, erodes our quality of life. I have experienced the same worries that you have. But they pass and we should help them on their way.

There were times when I'd absolutely be waiting for some nutter to shout 'Allah is God' and take us all out. I know in the real world this happens very rarely, but the reality was always there.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Impossible not to think like that for me. I can't help but scan the tube carriage when I get in, even if it's sometimes a bit subconscious. Occasionally have a 'he looks dodgy' thought..........although it's not Asians specifically, could be anyone that triggers my unwelcome thoughts.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Impossible not to think like that for me. I can't help but scan the tube carriage when I get in, even if it's sometimes a bit subconscious. Occasionally have a 'he looks dodgy' thought..........although it's not Asians specifically, could be anyone that triggers my unwelcome thoughts.

Totally with you.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I mainly look out for drivers on their phones while I walk my kids to school, I spot them every day and they scare me. In 10mins at the Old Shoreham Rd lights with Boundary Rd , at least 1 vehicle jumps the lights every day, just in 10mins. The roads scare me far more than terrorists.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
On here, former Irish Terrorists are referred to as Catholic rather than Christian. In the present debate shouldn't consistency dictate that instead of Muslim the description should be Sunni or even Wahabi?

Yes this would be correct only the Sunni Wahhabists are probably the majority of Muslims over here so there would be a fallout over that too.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I can honestly say I've never scanned a train for people who look dodgy.

You could hop off a train because there's an Asian guy with a rucksack on praying, get back on the station and be stabbed to death by someone having a psychotic episode.

:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here