Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tammy Abraham

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
On top of the wages I am sure a loan fee will also be involved which could well be a few million.....and a possible guarantee of game time.

Its wether that all stacks up against making a perm signing.

Id like him very much if the numbers are right, 25k a week is pennies in the Premier League even to us, that wont be a stumbling block, the other bits maybe.

You are almost certainly right but I am still struggling to get my head around Brighton paying a player 25K a week. It's an obscene amount of money but is probably below the norm in this division. Gonna take a while to get used to us paying that sort of money. We still have 4 million as our record transfer fee paid...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't understand why not having kicked ball in the Prem would be any bar to paying a player £45K a week.

I'm certain Sunderland would be more than happy to spend a fraction of their first parachute payment on a striker who banged in 20+ goals for a mediocre Championship side, and the only thing stopping them is that Chelsea will feel he's done the Championship and now needs a shot in the Prem. Worst scenario is he goes to a Prem side, doesn't deliver and then gets bagged by Sunderland / their equivalent in a year's time.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Promotion is worth £170million

£100k a week is £5million a year - 20 players at £100k a week is £100million - about 60% of the financial bounce from being in the PL. These days the top clubs are paying multiple contracts at £300k + a week.

The biggest problem is tha players will want multi-year contracts - if you are sure of PL status you can pay the money - if you get relegated with big contracts then you end up with a financial noose around your neck. I remember when Wolves went down to League 1 they were still paying Kevin Doyle £60k a week because he had a contract - they banned him from the first team squad because he refused take a pay cut to move to another club.

This is a loan deal, reportedly for 25k though. If we aren't willing to shell out 25k a week for someone when we are reportedly paying 45k for our best players it makes no sense. That's why I think this is either nonsense or something isn't being reported correctly.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
On top of the wages I am sure a loan fee will also be involved which could well be a few million.....and a possible guarantee of game time.

Its wether that all stacks up against making a perm signing.

Id like him very much if the numbers are right, 25k a week is pennies in the Premier League even to us, that wont be a stumbling block, the other bits maybe.

Well, I'd imagine we'd be far more likely to guarantee game time than Newcastle given that they only play one out-and-out-striker and have Gayle for that role.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

£100k a week is £5million a year - 20 players at £100k a week is £100million - about 60% of the financial bounce from being in the PL.

You are getting things mixed up. When the figure of £170million (or similar) is mentioned, it assumes the financial benefit of the worst case scenario for the promoted team over a non-promoted team, ie one year in the Premier League plus the subsequent receipt of parachute payments. It doesn't mean that every Premier League team will receive £170million every year.

Look at [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]'s thread for payments received this season - Premier League TV money distribution 2016/17

Even if Albion finish in the top half, they could still receive less than £120million next season - nowhere near £170million.

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
This is a loan deal, reportedly for 25k though. If we aren't willing to shell out 25k a week for someone when we are reportedly paying 45k for our best players it makes no sense. That's why I think this is either nonsense or something isn't being reported correctly.

I just read an article http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/transfer-talk-newcastle-united-step-up-efforts-to-land-tammy-abraham/story-30366326-detail/story.html and if true, its not just the wage demands..... it alleges Newcastle are also willing to pay Chelsea a Loan fee as well as his wage demands, maybe we are not prepared to pay an additional loan fee??

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well, I'd imagine we'd be far more likely to guarantee game time than Newcastle given that they only play one out-and-out-striker and have Gayle for that role.

Gale seems to potentially have hamstrings like Will Buckley so maybe he would get plenty of game time?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hey Chelsea can we buy one of your highly rated youth prospects?
Yeah fine!
Hey Chelsea can we buy one of your highly rated youth prospects? With a buy-back clause.
Sorted.

Edit: Replied before I had read previous posts proposing the same solution. Apologies.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
I don't think that it's us not being prepared to pay someone that amount of money - in fact, at least a couple of our squad were/are on more than that this season. We've got to weigh up how much we think he's worth a week, given that he's only had one full season of professional football and not kicked a ball in the PL.
Out of interest, who do you think was on more than 25K a week. I have an idea that one player was on this but he was on 25K and was the top earner.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I just read an article http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/transfer-talk-newcastle-united-step-up-efforts-to-land-tammy-abraham/story-30366326-detail/story.html and if true, its not just the wage demands..... it alleges Newcastle are also willing to pay Chelsea a Loan fee as well as his wage demands, maybe we are not prepared to pay an additional loan fee??

And that makes a ton more sense, the idea of us being asked to pay the 25k with no strings and us not willing to match Newcastle is total bull. This would make more sense though, their demands could be unfair if they're asking for a fee too depending on the price.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
And that makes a ton more sense, the idea of us being asked to pay the 25k with no strings and us not willing to match Newcastle is total bull. This would make more sense though, their demands could be unfair if they're asking for a fee too depending on the price.

There was a rumour he was going to sign a new deal for chelsea at 45k a week. How true that is I don't know. So if it's a few million loan fee plus 45k a week.....

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

£100k a week is £5million a year - 20 players at £100k a week is £100million - about 60% of the financial bounce from being in the PL. These days the top clubs are paying multiple contracts at £300k + a week.

The biggest problem is tha players will want multi-year contracts - if you are sure of PL status you can pay the money - if you get relegated with big contracts then you end up with a financial noose around your neck. I remember when Wolves went down to League 1 they were still paying Kevin Doyle £60k a week because he had a contract - they banned him from the first team squad because he refused take a pay cut to move to another club.

The £170m figure is irrelevant. Brighton will get £100m plus next season.

The additional £70m would be the total parachute monies for seasons 2018/19 onwards should we get relegated next May.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You are getting things mixed up. When the figure of £170million (or similar) is mentioned, it assumes the financial benefit of the worst case scenario for the promoted team over a non-promoted team, ie one year in the Premier League plus the subsequent receipt of parachute payments. It doesn't mean that every Premier League team will receive £170million every year.

Look at [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]'s thread for payments received this season - Premier League TV money distribution 2016/17

Even if Albion finish in the top half, they could still receive less than £120million next season - nowhere near £170million.

Next season but you have the guaranteed parachute payments after that.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Next season but you have the guaranteed parachute payments after that.

That is what I stated in my second sentence. :shrug:

The point is, Albion aren't going to be getting £170million EACH SEASON, which is what [MENTION=33329]Jolly Red Giant[/MENTION]'s post was implying.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Pleeeeeeeeease........

Both Newcastle And Brighton have already agreed whatever terms Chelsea demanded before they were given permission to talk to Abraham.

There are no add-ons
No extras
No additional fees
Zilch
Nichts
Nada
Rien
Nothing
Nowt

This whole story is just that. A story. It makes no sense.

The fee has been agreed.
Both clubs will talk to the player and he will decide where he wants to go.
No extra percentages
No extra fees

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
The £170m figure is irrelevant. Brighton will get £100m plus next season.

The additional £70m would be the total parachute monies for seasons 2018/19 onwards should we get relegated next May.

Payments from the PL to clubs is broken down as follows -

An equity payment - an overseas TV payment - a central commercial payment.

Each club receives an equal share of these payments.

On top of that there is a

Facilities payment - based on the number of times a club appears on domestic TV (and each club has a minimum amount.

A merit payment - prize money

This season Sunderland received £100million from the above payments.

However - excluding the top six clubs - on average clubs receive approx 60% - 65% of their income from TV, prize money and commercial payments from the PL. the other 35% - 40% comes from match day receipts and the club's direct commercial activity. Man Utd receive approx 50% of its income from its own commercial activities.

The minimum income for a club in the PL is approx £160million - £170million and it goes up from there - Man Utd will have an income of well over £500million this year - it would have been close to £600million if they played in the Champions League.

N.B. Parachute payments for teams relegated this year are based on the income they recevied from the PL - 55% in year 1, 45% in year 2 and then 3 years at 20% of that.

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here