Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
24.27 officially for me, finishing 196th. I did beat Stuart Tuck though, and he was in the correct age group to be THAT Stuart Tuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that Portslade rhyming slang for me or Mayo's mate?

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Still about a dozen seconds slower than a bloke pushing a buggy mind! :p

The speed they go at is demoralising. They start at the back of the field as well. Excellent gazelle running by you this year. What was the AG today? I can get your age then.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Still about a dozen seconds slower than a bloke pushing a buggy mind! :p

I got completely BURNED UP by a buggy pusher today. Afterward knocky & sim assured me he starts from the back and overtakes the majority of the field on the first couple of bends.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
The speed they go at is demoralising. They start at the back of the field as well. Excellent gazelle running by you this year. What was the AG today? I can get your age then.

73.92%, I was second in my age category.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I got completely BURNED UP by a buggy pusher today. Afterward knocky & sim assured me he starts from the back and overtakes the majority of the field on the first couple of bends.

The closest I got to the Woking buggy pusher was at the start line :D

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
73.92%, I was second in my age category.

If I were you, I'd do what Ninja Elephant is doing. (Although he failed yesterday when an errant elbow from a runner triggered him into a sprint finish instead of a controlled finish :lol:) A 6-8 week training plan from runnersworld or someone. Adapt it to your training times but hold back on the Parkruns as you follow the advanced plan. Then on said day go for max. and show the buggy pusher your heels. A sub 18 must be a possibility.

Great running anyway. Pole 5k position for NSC this year, isn't it?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Worthing PR results delayed so I'm giving myself 14:21 and a world record for my age group. Sadly it was more like 21:59 and also probably an age category win. Very nasty easterly wind did for me after the turn. Today I did the Wisborough Green 5k/10k. This place is so posh that in the goodie bag they put a flyer for Christ's Hospital school! I chose the 5k and got a 21:16 (tbc) on an undulating course. Nice event - the 10k guys simply run two laps, so it's a good atmosphere, it's a village/rural setting and well organised.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Which course are you looking at? I'm presuming Hove Park but other local ones are arguably faster. Might even be worth looking outside the area as you need serious wheels for this sort of time and every little helps eg you don't need a congested course.
The bike certainly should help - my times dropped quite significantly last year when I was training for duathlons. Basically I think you'll need to be inducted into a world of pain!

I am looking at Hove Park as it's the gold standard parkrun in the city in my opinion. Preston Park might be the run on the 17th June, but ultimately I want to win a Hove Park parkrun this year - but you can't go from a PB of 19:01 to winning Hove Park in 7 weeks, it'll take a sub 17 to win it!

Go to Margate. I came second by 45 seconds in 21:30 last year. Easy peasy.

Bit of a commute, but something to consider!

That's a bold plan. Looks like we will have our own 17minute runner to fill the shoes of the £2 Arena thief. Interesting your plan seems to be more gym and cardio work, that approach seems to be working miracles for you.

I've had problems with my shins and calves after the marathon, but I'm going to be out and about running sessions from this week onwards. Strava has been very quiet for me recently but I'm back in the game now!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I am looking at Hove Park as it's the gold standard parkrun in the city in my opinion. Preston Park might be the run on the 17th June, but ultimately I want to win a Hove Park parkrun this year - but you can't go from a PB of 19:01 to winning Hove Park in 7 weeks, it'll take a sub 17 to win it!

I wish you the best in your quest you'll need more than a sub 17 to win Hove Park! It is one of the most competitive runs. Graham Gooden runs every week and rarely goes near 17. He's 45-49 group and around 89% AG. Yesterday I was able to watch him in action. He lapped me twice and both times he had a young 20-24 year old sitting on his tail from Eastbourne. End result whippersnapper 16:14 Gooden 16:18. Good race.

Good to coincide my final lap with you're cool down lap yesterday.

For your record attempt, Hove Prom is best if no wind.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I wish you the best in your quest you'll need more than a sub 17 to win Hove Park! It is one of the most competitive runs. Graham Gooden runs every week and rarely goes near 17. He's 45-49 group and around 89% AG. Yesterday I was able to watch him in action. He lapped me twice and both times he had a young 20-24 year old sitting on his tail from Eastbourne. End result whippersnapper 16:14 Gooden 16:18. Good race.

Agree with the point about Hove prom; it's where I got my PB .

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Absolutely, I won't be able to get the win at Hove Park just yet but that's the target! 16:something is outstanding, my coach ended his parkrun career with a win at Hove Park in 16:02. It was a pleasure to run a lap with you, I'm thinking next week I might run a lap and then start the parkrun from the back. But that does mean getting there much earlier which is bold!

Agree with the point about Hove prom; it's where I got my PB .

It's my third favourite parkrun, as it isn't really a parkrun, but it's certainly an open goal for a PB attempt. Preston Park is pretty flat, with just the small hill but I like the course and I'm going to be doing a lot of training there.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
For the weakest link we have 5 for the first team: [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION][MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION], [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION], [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION], [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] .
A second team with the fifth from first team plus [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION]
I'm hoping to run now but would prefer a 24-25 upwards pace. so calling [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] to join me in a third team.
If they commit themselves we need an extra runner for both second and third teams. Anyone else lurking ready to run? Big nuts has runners otherwise and I have a few in mind.

http://brightonsports.co.uk/the-weakest-link-relay-run

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
For the weakest link we have 5 for the first team: [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION][MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION], [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION], [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION], [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] .
A second team with the fifth from first team plus [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION]
I'm hoping to run now but would prefer a 24-25 upwards pace. so calling [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] to join me in a third team.
If they commit themselves we need an extra runner for both second and third teams. Anyone else lurking ready to run? Big nuts has runners otherwise and I have a few in mind.

Great seeing thi on Satdi - did you have a good run? Sorry about the injuries

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I will if I can work from home that day. I'll check with my boss tomorrow when they're back and let you know for sure.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'll be there, it's actually the wednesday after my target parkrun for a sub 18 time so I may or may not be knackered but I'll proudly line up in whatever team I'm in. Could be a lot of egos in that first team!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave

I am up for this but fast pace not my thing!!!! Dont want to spoil a teams hopes, but willing to give it a go as long as I dont get seen as the Akpom of the team and get booed off at the end! Am I allow to wear those trainer wheelie things?! If we are short I know another couple of lads who may be up for it? Let me know.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
I'll be there, it's actually the wednesday after my target parkrun for a sub 18 time so I may or may not be knackered but I'll proudly line up in whatever team I'm in. Could be a lot of egos in that first team!

I'll leave my ego at the door..... As long as you all make room for my personal Masseuse, Nail, hair and beauty technicians and don't enter my dressing without knocking.. Oh and under no circumstances interrupt my meditation as I energise myself into the zone... we'll get along just fine! :eek:)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'll leave my ego at the door..... As long as you all make room for my personal Masseuse, Nail, hair and beauty technicians and don't enter my dressing without knocking.. Oh and under no circumstances interrupt my meditation as I energise myself into the zone... we'll get along just fine! :eek:)

That's less than half the entourage that [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] will be bringing.

My mate Rob is now training me for the parkrun win and he's working on making me a sprinter rather than an endurance fiend. It's tough. I miss heading out for mile after mile, sprinting hard is far tougher!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
That's less than half the entourage that [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] will be bringing.

My mate Rob is now training me for the parkrun win and he's working on making me a sprinter rather than an endurance fiend. It's tough. I miss heading out for mile after mile, sprinting hard is far tougher!

On the back of your marathon training that could pay dividends. Most on here have found we've run fast 5ks 3-6 weeks after a marathon. So you'll have your endurance in your legs but it will soon disappear if neglected in training. A fast 5k training plan requires LSD, slow twitch work, mitochondria work, stamina and endurance. Things you have at present from Brighton.

Good luck in your quest but I personally do not think you'll knock 15% off a sub 19 minute 5k time in a couple of months. Be happy to be proved wrong though!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
After 4x half mile runs on Monday have walked 20 miles this week. Yesterday the Seven Sisters circuit coming back through Friston Forest. Will aim to run all Parkrun tomorrow by getting there early and doing the walking warm up before the run. Might as well continue on knocking off 4 minutes each week and go for 28-29 minutes. Easy, easy and with a sore Achilles every morning will continue to limit weekly distance.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here