Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

****** The Official January Transfer Window Thread *******

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think FFS was long term loan to Reading, Bent was only 1 month to us. Think this make all the difference.

It does.

Bent was not on a half season loan to us, just a 28 day loan, and so was free to sign for Derby.

It's worth noting that even being on a half season loan to Reading would not have prevented us signing Murray in itself, but then he played for Palace on returning from Reading, which stops any other club registering him until the summer ( although he can still play elsewhere as a loan window 93 day signing ).

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Still no arrivals.... shouldnt be but I am disappointed :(

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Palace have signed Sanogo from Arsenal on loan, a pretty decent bit of business and one that might just give them that bit of extra firepower up front to keep them up! Gutted about that.

Edit ** Didn't see someone posted this earlier.

Pardew's French flood begins.....

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It's not about being complacent, I'd say pragmatic is more like it. Hughton is good enough to keep this squad up, what's the point in rushing out and signing players just for the sake of it, the club did that in August and it didn't really work out did it. Players go at an inflated premium in January, Bloom has publicly stated he doesn't like doing business in January. If a deal that's too good to pass up presents itself then brilliant, but I don't see the urgency.

Well, I definitely think that is complacency. Just my opinion. If we go down it will cost as a lot more money than what we might over-pay to get in the striker we oh so obviously need anyway. Read Hughton's latest comments, he definitely wants to get a better striker and more experienced midfielder in this window, regardless of our recent upturn in results. And he's 100% correct.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Well, I definitely think that is complacency. Just my opinion. If we go down it will cost as a lot more money than what we might over-pay to get in the striker we oh so obviously need anyway. Read Hughton's latest comments, he definitely wants to get a better striker and more experienced midfielder in this window, regardless of our recent upturn in results. And he's 100% correct.

Again, I don't think it's complacency, it's pragmatism.. Anyway, I'm sure if you ask any manager they could always tell you that they would like to improve their squad in certain areas, that doesn't mean that they'll get what they want. Considering how strict the board have been with the budget in the last few windows I just don't see Tony splashing the cash. This is just my opinion, feel free to tell me I'm wrong again, and don't forget the thumbs down :)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It does.

Bent was not on a half season loan to us, just a 28 day loan, and so was free to sign for Derby.

It's worth noting that even being on a half season loan to Reading would not have prevented us signing Murray in itself, but then he played for Palace on returning from Reading, which stops any other club registering him until the summer ( although he can still play elsewhere as a loan window 93 day signing ).

Thanks for clarifying these issues, but here's another one to confirm: you implied that 93-day loan signings can ONLY occur outside of the January transfer window; is this the case? If so, it would mean that we can only sign Murray on a 93-day loan in February.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Again, I don't think it's complacency, it's pragmatism.. Anyway, I'm sure if you ask any manager they could always tell you that they would like to improve their squad in certain areas, that doesn't mean that they'll get what they want. Considering how strict the board have been with the budget in the last few windows I just don't see Tony splashing the cash. This is just my opinion, feel free to tell me I'm wrong again, and don't forget the thumbs down :)

I think the board have re-evaluated -- and are re-evaluating -- a few things, including the type of manager (Hughton's experience, Championship knowhow, etc vs up-and-coming Gus, Oscar, Sami, etc), and this will hopefully translate into transfer policy as well. This is for several reasons, including:
-- we've got a great big pot of cash from transfer fees over the past year
-- the summer's transfer dealings (and it could also be argued the previous two transfer windows) were poor, and resulted from poor strategy
-- FFP has been so relaxed to become worthless in the interim period

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I think the board have re-evaluated -- and are re-evaluating -- a few things, including the type of manager (Hughton's experience, Championship knowhow, etc vs up-and-coming Gus, Oscar, Sami, etc), and this will hopefully translate into transfer policy as well. This is for several reasons, including:
-- we've got a great big pot of cash from transfer fees over the past year
-- the summer's transfer dealings (and it could also be argued the previous two transfer windows) were poor, and resulted from poor strategy
-- FFP has been so relaxed to become worthless in the interim period
I agree, but I still don't think we'll do too much business in this window. As I suggested in my first post, this squad is strong enough to survive, especially with Hughton in charge. I could fully appreciate Hughton waiting until the summer to get the players he really wants, unless a player is available now for the right price eg Ameobi on a free transfer.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I agree, but I still don't think we'll do too much business in this window. As I suggested in my first post, this squad is strong enough to survive, especially with Hughton in charge. I could fully appreciate Hughton waiting until the summer to get the players he really wants, unless a player is available now for the right price eg Ameobi on a free transfer.
Agree with this - under Hughton our current squad is capable of avoiding relegation (wouldn't put it any higher than that though), but obviously if improvements can be made, all to the good. Maybe a couple of good loans just to reinforce things, and then be all set for business in the summer.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
According to a few twitter accounts, we are after Rotherham midfielder Ben Pringle.

The NSC thread on us signing Pringle could turn into a BINFEST.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Also doing the rounds on twitter is that we are in advanced talks with MK Dons' Dele Ali but I think it's 99% BS.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Are we in danger of agreeing too much on this thread? [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION] could be similarly implicated.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Thanks for clarifying these issues, but here's another one to confirm: you implied that 93-day loan signings can ONLY occur outside of the January transfer window; is this the case? If so, it would mean that we can only sign Murray on a 93-day loan in February.

I think we can actually sign a player on a short term 93 day loan during this transfer window as well as in the loan window, but not after the loan window shuts, nor in the week between the transfer window and loan window.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here