Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How disrespectful!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It didn't use to be like this. Fans didn't look down their noses at other teams. You respected everybody and took nothing for granted. Achievement was given its due accord. Leicester's title win is considered by many to be a fluke. All the big teams had an ' off ' season. 30-40 years ago it wouldn't have been regarded as such. Ipswich, Derby and Forest ( smallish provincial clubs ) all won the league between 1960 and 1980 and were afforded due respect.

Good post ... but you missed out Burnley. And don't forget that Liverpool and Leeds were second division teams in the 50s, they weren't big teams in the early 60s.

I wish the big six would sod off, join their precious Euro league and leave the rest of us to enjoy a top division as it used to be

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Good post ... but you missed out Burnley. And don't forget that Liverpool and Leeds were second division teams in the 50s, they weren't big teams in the early 60s.

I wish the big six would sod off, join their precious Euro league and leave the rest of us to enjoy a top division as it used to be

Me too and well said.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Just listened to John Collins talk about us having no real quality or flair players but being well organized. Wrong on the first part, right on the second.

TBH - the standard of punditry on the Premier League is generally shit. Who actually ever says anything insightful or has done some research.

Yes, this comment from Collins is a candidate for the most moronic of the night, coming as it did, a few seconds after their coverage of Izquierdo’s strike! Naturally what he meant to say was that we didn’t have any players whose names he recognised.....

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Under the radar,will help keep us up this year !

It's lovely how we can just go about our business without any stories for the media to get hold of. Last week on Soccer Saturday, they discussed the problems at Everton for 10 minutes and said nothing about us. At the end, Stelling said 'Sorry to Brighton fans for not mentioning you. We'll talk about you more next week.' Last night's pre-game coverage was an hour and hardly mentioned us for the first forty-five minutes. There was more preview of the weekend's other games than there was discussion of Brighton. Today, after deserving to beat Everton and winning 3-0 away, Soccer Saturday started their coverage of last night with one sentence from Stelling saying that our win and performance was brilliant and then spent 10 minutes talking about the problems at West Ham without further mention of us.

Long may it continue. The media wants to focus on giving opinions about where things are going wrong for clubs. They have loved giving their expert opinions on why Palace are such a basket-case. All the time they are not talking about us, we can be happy that things are going to Bloom, Barber & Hughton's plan. Modest, organised, hard working, realistic, effective. Move on: Nothing to see here.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I remember watching us play Liverpool in the late 50s/early 60s at The Goldstone and if it was suggested that one of those teams would be the top team in Europe in a few years you would have plumped for us.. Also remember about the same time Chelsea and Fulham being yo yo clubs as one got promoted and 1 got relegated from the 1st Division then along came Abramovich and their fortunes changed.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Laughable that Bilic had said this match was an opportunity to get West Ham back on track. We looked a class above WHU, and rightly so. To think that a team playing as shite as them viewed us a some kind of punchbag to practice on just shows how dismissive some PL teams are of us. Long may it continue.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Whenever West Ham lost their first home match heavily this season, there was certain to be media scrutiny on them and on Slaven Bilic. That pot has been boiling over a while. It just so happened Brighton were the team to quite spectacularly deliver that pasting, whereas the soothsayers might have expected it to have been a more established club to do that.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I too am sick of the media talking about West Ham's debacle, rather than Brighton's victory...The Sky commentary was so partisan ( I missed Warren A on the telly) , Jamie Carragher's scouse accent was irritating. ..

Never mind, if we keep going as we are, they will come to respect us.

Carragher did come out with a beautiful line on about 80 minutes - something like: "The stadium is emptying fast and those staying to the end are only doing so, so that they can boo their team."

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
Its never very palatable when the school bullies find out one of the smaller boys in the playground punches like a heavyweight
floats like a butterfly stings like a bee....

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

Does anyone think that in the next decade, the big-six could be joined by us to make 7? I've often thought Everton were that 7th team and that Southampton had started to look like a candidate too. But with our stadium & facilities / training ground / staff [players & backroom] / Chairman might we be at the start of a long and glorious PL existance with forays into Europe in the next 10 years?

Or will this always be out of reach?

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Does anyone think that in the next decade, the big-six could be joined by us to make 7? I've often thought Everton were that 7th team and that Southampton had started to look like a candidate too. But with our stadium & facilities / training ground / staff [players & backroom] / Chairman might we be at the start of a long and glorious PL existance with forays into Europe in the next 10 years?

Very brave thing to say on NSC! I would say this is quite possible and not at all out of reach. It looks like our fledglings are taking wing and we seem to be over the massive 'failure' of Windowgate, approaching each game with growing confidence. We have got the right set-up and are holding our own - with plenty more to come. Bring it on. :albion2:

#Dynasty

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012

Trouble is there are a lot of bigger teams in slumps. If they get their act together, will be hard for us to compete.

We are a bit like the Crazy Gang of 80s (albeit with nicer football). Lets just enjoy the ride and what will be will be

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Are clubs like Stoke, Burnley, Uddersfield, Soton, Bournemouth, Swansea, WBA, Palace, Watford bigger than us ? No - let's believe we can compete at this level and ignore the smug "supporters" of bigger clubs who think they have a divine right to be in the top 6 each season.

I'm getting the feeling that being beaten by Brighton is seen, by other PL teams/fans, as unacceptable. Or even drawing with us.

How disrespectful! How brilliant for us to pin on the dressing room wall!

F... them!

Afraid Brighton fans feed this by wetting themselves because we beat the mighty whu! Why should we not beat poor sides in the same league,a bit more belief please:thumbsup:

Are clubs like Stoke, Burnley, Uddersfield, Soton, Bournemouth, Swansea, WBA, Palace, Watford bigger than us ? No - let's believe we can compete at this level and ignore the smug "supporters" of bigger clubs who think they have a divine right to be in the top 6 each season.

Had a disagreement with Perry Groves at the Arsernal game about Brighton and Bournemouth(who was the bigger club) apparently they are because of thier spending:rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here