Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Excellent piece of Moggery today in the House with his procedural knowledge and a point of order to the speaker.

Well that didnt confuse everyone much :lolol:

... and subsequently completely inconsequential for the tax haven advocate who couldn't give a flying f@@@ about you.

( pats you on the head and thanks you for sorting out the drainage in the lower field )

[yt]nxpZkKKbDgA[/yt]

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
... and subsequently completely inconsequential for the tax haven advocate who couldn't give a flying f@@@ about you.

( pats you on the head and thanks you for sorting out the drainage in the lower field )

[yt]nxpZkKKbDgA[/yt]

Aww bless
Another angry little man, triggered by The Mogg. Dont know how some of you get through the day with all those chips on your shoulders.
Great procedural knowledge though.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Aww bless
Another angry little man, triggered by The Mogg. Dont know how some of you get through the day with all those chips on your shoulders.

Angry ?

Ha, ha. No I've an actually "I'm alright jack" nuanced view on Brexit (see my posts) but I worry about people like you with your belief that he is fighting your cause.

I'm also educated to a higher level than him, but come from a simple background in Sussex and see through his pseudo intellectualism which fools the masses because he has went to public school and can quote Latin... (useful in a Garden centre)

Spend a few months learning parliamentary procedure, you'd piss all over him. Or place yourself in a box that believes Carol Voderman and Stephen Fry are the most intelligent people on the planet, because that's where you are.

I have a number of issues with the EU and the urban elite, gets me into all sorts of grief in London with my nuanced "I understand Brexit" views, but Rees Mogg reminds me of the people in the village who used to use my Dad's surname as his first.

You are better than him.

His mission has little to do with Brexit, it's just a means to an end.

Explore why working class people in the North of the country have been f***** over by his like and subsequently New Labour, but please don't please cite Rees Mogg as the solution.

Otherwise look forward to your extra potato in your stocking, an individual who thinks food banks are charming.

I'd just wish he would show his true colours and we can have a debate whether a low taxation regulation haven would be a good thing. Possibly it would in competition with the EU, but he simply hides behind a glorious age of the past that never existed whilst in reality making millions from very modern financial instruments.

Sorry you have been fooled, find another hero.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Angry ?

Ha, ha. No I've an actually "I'm alright jack" nuanced view on Brexit (see my posts) but I worry about people like you with your belief that he is fighting your cause.

I'm also educated to a higher level than him, but come from a simple background in Sussex and see through his pseudo intellectualism which fools the masses because he has went to public school and can quote Latin... (useful in a Garden centre)

Spend a few months learning parliamentary procedure, you'd piss all over him. Or place yourself in a box that believes Carol Voderman and Stephen Fry are the most intelligent people on the planet, because that's where you are.

I have a number of issues with the EU and the urban elite, gets me into all sorts of grief in London with my nuanced "I understand Brexit" views, but Rees Mogg reminds me of the people in the village who used to use my Dad's surname as his first.

You are better than him.

His mission has little to do with Brexit, it's just a means to an end.

Explore why working class people in the North of the country have been f***** over by his like and subsequently New Labour, but please don't please cite Rees Mogg as the solution.

Otherwise look forward to your extra potato in your stocking, an individual who thinks food banks are charming.

I'd just wish he would show his true colours and we can have a debate whether a low taxation regulation haven would be a good thing. Possibly it would in competition with the EU, but he simply hides behind a glorious age of the past that never existed whilst in reality making millions from very modern financial instruments.

Sorry you have been fooled, find another hero.

What a load of waffle.
Vorderman and Fry........:lolol:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
We have a long standing history of preferential travel with the republic,a historical preference(bar some well known occasions) that works pretty well with a nation of under 5 million ,which bit of that dont you understand.

That doesn't really explain why you are relaxed about Irish people coming to Britain and taking a job, but shit yourself about other Europeans?
Can you understand this? We have had reciprocal right to work in some other member states since 1973, that is long standing in my opinion. What we have now works pretty well with 27 other nations and a population of 450 million, and we still need to top up with migrant workers from elsewhere in the world too.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Aww bless

Do you think the book in his hand is there just to stop him waving his arm about?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
That doesn't really explain why you are relaxed about Irish people coming to Britain and taking a job, but shit yourself about other Europeans?
Can you understand this? We have had reciprocal right to work in some other member states since 1973, that is long standing in my opinion. What we have now works pretty well with 27 other nations and a population of 450 million, and we still need to top up with migrant workers from elsewhere in the world too.

I dont shit myself you wally, i just want people coming here to work from the 450 million people pool base(except ireland) to be under the same control system we have for non eu nationals. No one is talking about pulling up the drawbridge and shutting the door.
It works well in your opinion, but guess what, others disagreed with you.

Do you think the book in his hand is there just to stop him waving his arm about?

Thats a daft thing to say by even your standards.

Last edited:

fanseagull

Dec 18, 2018
Aww bless

My goodness!
You even have a pet name for your favourite politician! I'll bet he speaks equally warmly about you......

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
First the Landrover Discovery discovered manufacturing in Slovakia for 30 years in the UK, now 5k jobs going. Brexit tips things over the edge again.

Full factory shutdown planned in the event of no deal, with Castle Bromich plants predicted by industry experts not to re-open.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You're very quiet with your green light is on HT !

I went out last night, but I’m back now.

I think we’re in agreement that the U.K. can unilaterally withdraw a50; the EU said so before Xmas and you seem to agree. And the U.K. can obviously invoke a50 unilaterally as they have already done this once. It therefore implies withdrawal can be extended unilaterally. For example the U.K. withdraws a50 on March 29th 2019 and carries on as they are with respect to EU membership. Now, say they invoke it again on March 29th 2021. They’ve unilaterally extended the withdrawal by 2 years. And you will like this bit, for once, in this situation, you hold the power. We don’t.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
First the Landrover Discovery discovered manufacturing in Slovakia for 30 years in the UK, now 5k jobs going. Brexit tips things over the edge again.

Full factory shutdown planned in the event of no deal, with Castle Bromich plants predicted by industry experts not to re-open.
The problems for car manufacturers are largely to do with a slowdown in the USA and China. But Brexit is a very convenient way to break bad news. Well done.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Bought the Express this morning as needed something cheap to light the wood burner. Absolute bed wetting over Bercow. The pain of parliament taking back control

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I went out last night, but I’m back now.

I think we’re in agreement that the U.K. can unilaterally withdraw a50; the EU said so before Xmas and you seem to agree. And the U.K. can obviously invoke a50 unilaterally as they have already done this once. It therefore implies withdrawal can be extended unilaterally. For example the U.K. withdraws a50 on March 29th 2019 and carries on as they are with respect to EU membership. Now, say they invoke it again on March 29th 2021. They’ve unilaterally extended the withdrawal by 2 years.

Except it doesn’t suggest withdrawal can be extended unilaterally. They are two wildly different things and there wouldn’t be time to go through the legal discussion on that before the end of March. I presume you’re not going to at least have the decency to admit that you got it wrong and calling WS out was incorrect of you?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Except it doesn’t suggest withdrawal can be extended unilaterally. They are two wildly different things

I did conflate extend and withdraw in yesterday’s exchange. I hold my hands up to this. But to me it doesn’t make any difference...as I explained above. You seem to disagree though, can you explain to me why?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

If you're going to play that card the least you could do is provide the full facts :

"The layoffs are part of a £2.5bn cost-cutting plan amid what industry insiders have called a "perfect storm".

They mean a downturn in Chinese sales, a slump in diesel sales and concerns about UK competitiveness post-Brexit.

JLR is particularly exposed to the first two of these factors.

China is the company's biggest and hitherto most profitable market. But sales in China have fallen nearly 50% in recent months as cautious Chinese consumers have been holding back on big ticket purchases amid global trade tensions.

The relationship between JLR and its Chinese sales network have also been strained as dealers demand better terms and promotional incentives.

JLR is also one of the most heavily-exposed car makers to ongoing consumer confusion about the wisdom of buying a diesel car in the aftermath of the VW emissions scandal.

Ninety per cent of its vehicles are diesel-powered, although it has been investing in new electric and hybrid vehicles."

Yes Brexit is a factor but not the main one which your post implies.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I did conflate extend and withdraw in yesterday’s exchange. I hold my hands up to this. But to me it doesn’t make any difference...as I explained above. You seem to disagree though, can you explain to me why?

It does make a difference as Labour has pledged to 'extend A50' not withdraw and then re-invoke and it was the Labour pledge that was being discussed. The EU rules clearly state that an extension requires all members to agree.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Bought the Express this morning as needed something cheap to light the wood burner. Absolute bed wetting over Bercow. The pain of parliament taking back control

If Parliament wanted “control” then they should not have overwhelmingly voted for the referendum, but they did. Parliament was overwhelmingly for remaining in the EU, and via the leaflet posted to every household Parliament made it clear that a) we should stay in the EU, and b) that they would implement the decision of the referendum.

Parliament did in the wake of the referendum vote for Article 50, but since they have last their bottle. So yes, they are now taking “control” to frustrate the decision of the referendum. Not a very edifying move given that they wanted to give the people a referendum on staying or leaving the EU.

I look forward to the next time some MP chooses to criticise Russia or China or North Korea on their lack of democracy........where there is too much power in the hands of the few.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
How is 'taking back control' by Parliament over the wishes of the British people in any way comparable to Parliament 'taking back control' over unelected Europeans?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
How is 'taking back control' by Parliament over the wishes of the British people in any way comparable to Parliament 'taking back control' over unelected Europeans?

Our Europeans that represent 10% of the MEP's in Brussels were elected.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

Been planned for a while though, so great news for Slovakia, more cars will be produced there at rock bottom prices (check out Spain they produce cars at good margins too).

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-n...and-rover-moves-discovery-production-from-uk/

This article indicates that the long term strategy for its next generation of “cutting edge” cars will be in the U.K. which, if China and other emerging economies are the new markets to JLR, makes perfect sense to manufacture outside the EU.

The long game see?

Probably why Ford’s biggest factory for the EU market is in Turkey, built with loans from the EU investment bank. Those workers made redundant in the UK (and EU) when production moved didn’t get much airtime at that point. But now the tears are flowing........how strange?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/taxpayers-millions-fuel-ford-transit-move-to-turkey-sjsdcmsn23k

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here