Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Let's talk about an "away end" again

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Leave it as it is, the majority of away fans of all colours are pretty decent.

If you were going to change anything, whether in the treatment of away fans or anyone else, I'd say make bans mean something - ie don't just let the person concerned register a really, really obvious new account and pick up wherever they left off.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Don't know if I should comment on this thread ? But the fact other fans other than Brighton fans post on this site is what makes it a good forum. I try only to post on music, politics and threads directly about palace. And tbh like many clubs forums some of the "home" support is more offensive than away support.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Let's talk about an "away end" again

What’s the point of this? Last time we voted there should be an away end and you ignored it anyway. I firmly believe the scum Palace fans should be parked in their own area.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you were going to change anything, whether in the treatment of away fans or anyone else, I'd say make bans mean something - ie don't just let the person concerned register a really, really obvious new account and pick up wherever they left off.

That's pretty much impossible to stop, although when it's noticed then we'll stop it immediately.

I'm not going to spend a huge amount of my time manually trying to trace multiple accounts.

As ever, if you believe misbehaving is going on: report it. Don't assume that someone else has and/or moderators are otherwise aware.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yes. An Away End where the gloating away goons can goon away to their hearts' content would be awesome and long overdue.

There is very little gloating from away fans, imo. Those who do so are normally pretty quickly banned, like the raver was. Of course, your definition of what constitutes gloating may be different to mine, which may account for our differing perspectives on this.

I assume this is because of the ravers thread on Saturday. That thread was ok (just) but the timing really really touched a raw nerve. Leave as is, the vast bulk are worth reading (unlike some of our own posters) and when you do ban someone in anger so be it.

I disagree with your assessment of whether the raver’s thread was acceptable. He hadn’t posted for ages and ages; the first post he made after his self-imposed exile was gloating; he, as a Palace fan, started a new thread to do so; and, as you say, the timing was awful (and deliberate).

Some have commented that Albion fans post worse things than Palace fans do. Yep, I agree. But this is an Albion fans’ forum - accordingly, they get a lot more rope, and that’s only right, imo. Bozza has used the analogy of NSC being the virtual equivalent of a home pub. While not perfect, I think that analogy works in this situation. Would it have been acceptable for Raver to turn up to a home pub after last weekend and say what he did as walked through the doors into a group of Albion fans’ faces? I’d argue not.

Similarly, some have said that since we dish it out, we should expect it back. I agree we dish it out, but we’re doing so in an Albion pub to Albion fans. We’re not (well, most aren’t) going in to a pub in Selhurst dishing it out.

Leave it as it is, the majority of away fans of all colours are pretty decent.

It’s both hard and extremely time-consuming to vet new accounts before they’ve posted. All new accounts have their first N posts checked over by a mod before NSC members see their musings. If a new account is a re-incarnation of a banned one, and they behave themselves for those N postings and then regresses, the moderating team rely on either noticing the transgression themselves (I reckon I read 10-20% of posts made on the BB), or on other members reporting the offending post(s). If you see an obvious situation like you describe - report it. Speaking personally, I have had occasion to do exactly what you suggest (continually banning the new account of a banned person), but I only do so if they genuinely do carry on where they left off. If the new account behaves itself, there’s no need to bring out the ban hammer, imo.

Personally, I think it is remarkable that only one Palace fan saw fit to start a new thread to gloat. It was the right decision to ban him, imo. Other Palace fans have virtually smiled at the reversal of fortunes, but their comments have been embedded in existing threads and have been way less deliberately provocative - well within the bounds of acceptability, imo.

My vote (wot, no poll?) is for no change.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I prefer to have them on the main board. I’m grateful to the moderators who have the ballache of dealing with the ones that behave like dicks, I hope they can carry on doing it.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No, no no.

It's no co-incidence that this topic has only come up again because Palace are doing well. When they were struggling people were gleefully saying "Where are all the Palace fans? We want to take the piss out of them!" Now the boot's on the other foot people can't take it. It's pathetic. Unbelievably pathetic.

Rather than an Away End let's have a 'Snowflake Section' where all those who don't like having the piss taken out of them, or even those who don't like reading opinions with which they disagree can swap heavily-moderated banalities with each other.

Or alternatively - leave NSC as it is.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Difficult one. I've had my issues with some of them in the past (Dougie and SE20 in particular), but to their credit they have sucked it up in the bad times and deserve their chance to gloat back at us.

Ultimately though, the Away Fans end on the BBS doesn't work at all. It's a kid's playground, and away fans now get shunted there for the slightest misdemeanour, presumably because some precious home fans scream for a policeman the minute they whiff Albion on their main forums. (Our own Cheeky Monkey is the exception proving the rule)

I think the solution is to say NO to an away end and just ban that fcking moron, The Raver. He was nowhere to be seen when they were gash but was here approximately 5 minutes after their world beaters finally climbed above us in the table, to crow like a child. Just never let him or anyone with his IP address ever post here again. [emoji106]

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
try open minded and confident and you will be nearer the mark

Hi..........if you want your unpleasant neighbour to walk in your lounge, crap on the floor and calmly walk out with impunity, then crack on. Whatever floats your boat.

I note that most of those advocating that they remain are nowhere to be seen when these "valuable" away posters put their "bantz" on here......but I suppose they wouldn't be if they,re submissive.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
To illustrate this, I'll highlight a discussion on another thread here: http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...he-buck-stop&p=8286452&viewfull=1#post8286452

Is this relatively new user a Palace troll? Maybe, maybe not. I have no idea. It's not a user I'd even noticed before.

Does it matter? Many are saying we need to have a thick skin and deal with it. Does it matter how the away fan uses to express themselves?

When people shouted "Palace troll" last week, I followed it up and the genuine new Albion fan user won't be coming back as a result.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
Bozza,

That link appears wrong?

I have only started posting of late, having been advised not to bother by various mates due to in-fighting, one way discussions etc. However, I decided to give it a go some 4 years or so after registering.

Well, I was called a Palaaarse sleeper in the last week, someone who don't know the Brighton area well ( my 1st home game was in 1970), a bed wetter, a pantie pooper all based on trying to discuss some of the issues effecting our season currently.

I will add that all football forums are similar in my experience, the same defensive guns are fired at Chelsea for example, if you do not tow the party line.

In short people need to grow up and talk to people they don't actually know, in a nicer manner, no-one in their right mind would say things to people in a bar that they say on these forums, or they wouldn't be standing for long, and that is generally good advice that has come from other forums when these people (keyboard warriors) have been challenged.

Last edited:

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Leave it be. Works fine IMHO.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
It's not something I've ever wanted for NSC but, frankly, I'm getting a little bit fed up as...

1. If away (and that generally means Palace) fans post BANTZ and moderating actions ARE NOT taken, then I get moaned at by a section of Albion-supporting NSC users: "how dare they post that on here".

2. If away (and that generally means Palace) fans post BANTZ then and moderating actions ARE taken I get moaned at by a section of Albion-supporting NSC users: "we need to man up and let them post that on here".

So, for the first time ever I am seriously considering an NSC away end. The purpose of the away end would be:

1. It's where away fans are expected to post their BANTZ and Albion piss-taking.
2. It's where away fans would be banished to if they don't follow 1 above.

The away end wouldn't be for immediately banishing ALL away fans to as soon as their colours are known.

Discuss.

Its simple, let everyone know if you moan to the Mods about away fans posting you get a 2 month ban.

This Country is soft enough as it is.

Stop worring about the needy on the board.

Simple answer to their moans, if you dont like it, **** off

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It's not something I've ever wanted for NSC but, frankly, I'm getting a little bit fed up as...

1. If away (and that generally means Palace) fans post BANTZ and moderating actions ARE NOT taken, then I get moaned at by a section of Albion-supporting NSC users: "how dare they post that on here".

2. If away (and that generally means Palace) fans post BANTZ then and moderating actions ARE taken I get moaned at by a section of Albion-supporting NSC users: "we need to man up and let them post that on here".

So, for the first time ever I am seriously considering an NSC away end. The purpose of the away end would be:

1. It's where away fans are expected to post their BANTZ and Albion piss-taking.
2. It's where away fans would be banished to if they don't follow 1 above.

The away end wouldn't be for immediately banishing ALL away fans to as soon as their colours are known.

Discuss.

It would be a pain to moderate it wouldn't it? or would you limit someone's ability to post in the main forum by setting a flag on their user name and setting limits on various sections of the site?

N17

Jun 21, 2011
That's pretty much impossible to stop, although when it's noticed then we'll stop it immediately.

I'm not going to spend a huge amount of my time manually trying to trace multiple accounts.

As ever, if you believe misbehaving is going on: report it. Don't assume that someone else has and/or moderators are otherwise aware.

A Spurs forum i frequent has no moderators but it does have a 'ban/sin bin' option. Sensible away fans are left in peace/tolerated, idiots are usually dispatched after their first post. Not sure how many regular posters need to click it to ban/sin bin the offender though. Works really well.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Btw being a Huddersfield town fan, will I be moved to the away fans section?

I await the Bantz

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here