Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Reckon you might have it coming Bozza
Took me a year to get over mine and even now I only run 3 times a week I can feel it in my heels when I first get up in the morning
Try Ironman gel insoles certainly helped me

I have had it as well, both feet. Took me 6 months of very specific exercises 3 times a day, and no running, to fix. It was totally self-inflicted though, so I now pay attention to distance increases and I've never had the issue since.

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
I'm deleting this thread. If I can't run, I'm going to try to pretend no-one else can either.

I've struggled with it for a while as well. Get a spiky ball and roll your foot on it with your weight on it. I do this before and after my long runs and it works. Ibroprofen gel on the offending area helps as well. You need to really stretch your calves and Achilles areas to offset the issue. I find standing on the edge of stairs and letting my heel drop stretches the area well and helps a lot. Good luck with it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've struggled with it for a while as well. Get a spiky ball and roll your foot on it with your weight on it. I do this before and after my long runs and it works. Ibroprofen gel on the offending area helps as well. You need to really stretch your calves and Achilles areas to offset the issue. I find standing on the edge of stairs and letting my heel drop stretches the area well and helps a lot. Good luck with it.

Agree with all that but I didn't realise Fasciitis was an injury for Bozza. I thought he was referring to his political leanings. :)
Also standing on a frozen golf ball and rolling the ball with full weight on it is painfull and beneficial at that stage.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Back from 5 days training in Cardiff at the cricket for the Phoenix 10k. It didn't go well. My stomach blew up like a balloon before getting there and I only had 10 pints over the whole Test. I was hoping to get some decent drink training in for The Better Half but failed.
On a better note it was a great trip and as sober I was able to bloatedly do Cardiff Parkrun yesterday morning. It's a very tiny path with 800 runners heading down the river Taff and back. I forgot my barcode but had roughly a nice 22 minute run out. They don't want unknowns getting a number so I ran to the side at the finish. For a park area that is enormous it's a disappointing course and Hove Park is much better.
@Guiness Boy glad knee improved but forget the pint £35 is my rate. [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] good prom run report. @BigNuts met Barry John in my mates local in Pontcanna.
[MENTION=16817]phoenix[/MENTION] 10k runners shall I wear the green and black top Brighton old away top before the start so we can meet up? Then we need a meeting point for 7 to 7:15 and a back up for afterwards for anyone missing at the start. Any ideas?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Agree with all that but I didn't realise Fasciitis was an injury for Bozza. I thought he was referring to his political leanings. :)
Also standing on a frozen golf ball and rolling the ball with full weight on it is painfull and beneficial at that stage.

I'm doing this a lot...

1. First thing in the morning - belt looped around my 'bad' foot and stretching my calf, holding, loosening and then repeating. I'm doing this before I get out of bed as I know, from when I had this last time, those first steps in the morning can be absolute agony and this is supposed to help.

2. Frozen water bottle rolled under my foot for c5 mins (or as long as I can stand given the cold-ness).

3. Small hard boll rolled under my foot, as above.

4. Standing on a step with my toes and lowering my heel down as far as I can, stretching the calf, holding and then repeating.

5. Pushing against a wall with my hands with my 'bad' leg straight behind me. Again, I hold this for 30 seconds before loosening and then repeating.

I can't help but feel I've done this not through over-use as I ran for 33 days straight from before the end of May to the end of June with no ill effects, but from when I ran the last 1.2 miles of a 13.2 mile run barefoot last week. It was all on concrete and my feet just won't be used to that. I ran a 5-miler midweek (in shoes!) and it is since then that the pain has developed, getting worse ever since.

However it happened, I'm absolutely gutted. I might have to resort to taking my bike out over the downs to keep active now.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Did the British London 10k today. New PB for me of 58.14! Delighted with that, now looking forward to the Phoenix 10k in Hove on Wednesday.

The whole event was run very well today considering 20k runners.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ran Hove Park parkrun in 21.39 yesterday - quickest time for over two years! Not quite sure where it came from, but good prep for Wednesday.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Back from 5 days training in Cardiff at the cricket for the Phoenix 10k. It didn't go well. My stomach blew up like a balloon before getting there and I only had 10 pints over the whole Test. I was hoping to get some decent drink training in for The Better Half but failed.
On a better note it was a great trip and as sober I was able to bloatedly do Cardiff Parkrun yesterday morning. It's a very tiny path with 800 runners heading down the river Taff and back. I forgot my barcode but had roughly a nice 22 minute run out. They don't want unknowns getting a number so I ran to the side at the finish. For a park area that is enormous it's a disappointing course and Hove Park is much better.
@Guiness Boy glad knee improved but forget the pint £35 is my rate. [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] good prom run report. @BigNuts met Barry John in my mates local in Pontcanna.
[MENTION=16817]phoenix[/MENTION] 10k runners shall I wear the green and black top Brighton old away top before the start so we can meet up? Then we need a meeting point for 7 to 7:15 and a back up for afterwards for anyone missing at the start. Any ideas?

Wear the green and black, hopefully you'll be the only one. I am going to try and find my red and black 2000/1 Skint away shirt for afters. Will post here if/when I do. Was probably going to arrange to meet [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] by the far end of the cafe wall at the end. Would suggest the pub is the last fallback as we seem to have times from sub 40 through to mid to late 50s.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm doing this a lot...

1. First thing in the morning - belt looped around my 'bad' foot and stretching my calf, holding, loosening and then repeating. I'm doing this before I get out of bed as I know, from when I had this last time, those first steps in the morning can be absolute agony and this is supposed to help.

2. Frozen water bottle rolled under my foot for c5 mins (or as long as I can stand given the cold-ness).

3. Small hard boll rolled under my foot, as above.

4. Standing on a step with my toes and lowering my heel down as far as I can, stretching the calf, holding and then repeating.

5. Pushing against a wall with my hands with my 'bad' leg straight behind me. Again, I hold this for 30 seconds before loosening and then repeating.

I can't help but feel I've done this not through over-use as I ran for 33 days straight from before the end of May to the end of June with no ill effects, but from when I ran the last 1.2 miles of a 13.2 mile run barefoot last week. It was all on concrete and my feet just won't be used to that. I ran a 5-miler midweek (in shoes!) and it is since then that the pain has developed, getting worse ever since.

However it happened, I'm absolutely gutted. I might have to resort to taking my bike out over the downs to keep active now.

All good stuff.....with any luck it'll clear up quick. Could be a combination of your run streak and the barefoot bit, but my money would be on the first former - rest days are critical to injury avoidance (so my coach days anyway). If you have got access to a gym, you can pretty much maintain your running fitness on an elliptical trainer by replicating planned running sessions (fartlek, hills, tempo etc).

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Made my day this story! Can't stand the arrogant chap! Given the best ticket and can't obide by the rules. Arrogance to a tee

Ment for Lewis Hamilton Thread

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Bit harsh, all @knocky did was forget his bar code [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

That's the Welsh, for you, isn't it? :lolol::lolol::lolol: great thread mix up.
A few years back at my friend's brother's funeral in Merthyr Tydfil one of his cousins came up to me and said"You may be an English c*** but fair play to you coming down to Byron's funeral'
Talk about a welcome in the Valleys.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

I don't mean to kick a man while he's down, but I think its pretty likely it was over-use. Plantar fasciitis is a classic injury of that type - a slow and gradual over-use leads to increasing inflammation and tightness. Eventually you reach a tipping point and it gets very sore - in your case the additional stress of finishing a long run with a higher pace.

As someone who's had a lot of running injuries, I recognise this pattern. You've ramped up from not much at all to a pretty hefty mileage of 40 odd a week with no rest weeks and 33 days in a row - that's a lot of training load, even for people with years of consistent running in the bank.

Once its settled you'll need to get back into it slowly; start with low mileage and don't add more that 10% a week to your weekly time on your feet of the distance of your longest run. Have rest days and plan the training as slow and progressive overload.

Running is the most unforgiving sport for not managing training load carefully - I've got 2 hip tears, a cruciate ligament and medial ligament that can attest to that!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't mean to kick a man while he's down, but I think its pretty likely it was over-use. Plantar fasciitis is a classic injury of that type - a slow and gradual over-use leads to increasing inflammation and tightness. Eventually you reach a tipping point and it gets very sore - in your case the additional stress of finishing a long run with a higher pace.

As someone who's had a lot of running injuries, I recognise this pattern. You've ramped up from not much at all to a pretty hefty mileage of 40 odd a week with no rest weeks and 33 days in a row - that's a lot of training load, even for people with years of consistent running in the bank.

Once its settled you'll need to get back into it slowly; start with low mileage and don't add more that 10% a week to your weekly time on your feet of the distance of your longest run. Have rest days and plan the training as slow and progressive overload.

Running is the most unforgiving sport for not managing training load carefully - I've got 2 hip tears, a cruciate ligament and medial ligament that can attest to that!

Pah!

I've just been to a sports injury place which has confirmed, as if there were any doubt, that it is PF. The chap gave my foot a good going over and then gave me some ultrasound. He said I've been doing all the right things and to continue with that, as well as giving me a few more stretching exercises. Cycling should be fine, so I'll start that again today.

He also picked up on my very low arches and suggested some insoles (I think someone on here had done the same) so I bought some Vasyli + Dananberg insoles from them. It will be £33 well spent if they help (they seem to be nearly double that price online, strangely).

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
13.36 miles today - 1:45:53 at an average pace of 7:55 minute miles. I was averaging 7:30 up until just over 10 miles, when my legs decided they'd had enough, so I walked for a short while. Anyway, I've got the distance covered, just need to work on the pace.

Good day for running, cool and slightly damp.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Wear the green and black, hopefully you'll be the only one. I am going to try and find my red and black 2000/1 Skint away shirt for afters. Will post here if/when I do. Was probably going to arrange to meet [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] by the far end of the cafe wall at the end. Would suggest the pub is the last fallback as we seem to have times from sub 40 through to mid to late 50s.

OK, I will wear the green/black stripe away shirt. How about a pre run meet at the lawns end of the cafe as you say and meet there afterwards as well? 7 to 7:15 for the start? What do you think NSC entrants?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
OK, I will wear the green/black stripe away shirt. How about a pre run meet at the lawns end of the cafe as you say and meet there afterwards as well? 7 to 7:15 for the start? What do you think NSC entrants?

Sounds good to me. I'll look out for the green and black stripes :albion2:

Anyone got a good idea of the weather? This wind needs to die down a bit!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here