Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Duffy tweet

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If he's seen at first hand, given his place of birth, the misery and carnage caused by terrorism, then perhaps he considered McGuinness's conversion to the peace process to be a positive. It's not the same as supporting the IRA.

You have said he's wrong by saying he 'declared himself an IRA sympathiser'. He's not done that so in case you could be wrong?

Maybe I am wrong then. Its not always very straightforward making your views clear in 140 characters, but nobody on here really knows Duffy's views, we're all just making assumptions. Expressing admiration for a murdering terrorist (former or not) is always going to be open to interpretation and no little controversy, which is why (IMO) its probably a subject best left alone by footballers on Twitter, but as said before, that's entirely up to him. And as others have said, he's had his views formed by being far closer to that environment than most of us, so he's perfectly entitled to express his views.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Who knows Duffy's story. Maybe he has a story in his past of someone killed by the British that forms his views.

The problem of course begins when one side claims they were the good guys.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Tomer Hemed has posted pictures of his involvement with the Jewish community in Brighton though. If the Israeli PM died and he expressed a message of condolence there I cannot see a problem with it, even if it might upset some who are opposed to the state of Isreal.

Israel hasn't bombed the UK in recent years though has it?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Piers Morgan manages to do that fairly well, as do Donald Trump, Katie Hopkins, Gary Lineker etc.

There is too much fear of offence these days. Fearful silence is far worse than engaging in debate IMO.

But I totally agree with you here, as long as they are not going to take offence at others berating them for their views.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Twitter.

F***ing Twitter.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with Twitter. It's just a platform which allows people to air whatever they have rattling around in their head. It's the digital equivalent of those letters you'd see in the local rag signed off with 'Outraged of Sussex'.

My point, which I'll admit to making quite poorly, is that people will always hold opinions that differ from someone else's and all Twitter does is put that into a highly visible public space. I think we'd be worse off without it personally; it's existence allows people to debate and engage with all sorts of people with differing opinions.

And it allows me to 'like' every single thing Stephen Fry tweets about so there's that too.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Why do people feel the need to tell everyone their opinion on Twitter? Narcissism at its very worse. And they then complain of 'abuse'...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Why do people feel the need to tell everyone their opinion on Twitter? Narcissism at its very worse. And they then complain of 'abuse'...

Keeping it Duffy specific he hasn't complained has he?

Separately..at least on this thread we are seeing some semblance of debate compared to the other announcing his death

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
If Hollywood celebs can air a YouTube video telling people who to vote for and contributing to dividing a country with violent consequences without much backlash I am sure we can all let a Championship footballer to air their views on Twitter.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Looks like Duffy may be about to take over from James McLean on this issue. Pretty sure fellow Republican McLean (also brought up in Derry) was 'encouraged' to delete his Twitter account for various political statements, plus wan't it him that did a poppy protest?

As others have said, I'm not surprised or shocked by his views given his background, and if he is thick-skinned enough to take the inevitable abuse that will come from some sections then it's hard to see how you can stop him over what are personal views.

That said, I'm sure the club WILL try and stop him doing this again, because despite them being personal views he is also their employee and to some extent representing them as well, plus Brighton obviously has history with the IRA. If you were a Warrington rugby league player doing the same thing, I wouldn't imagine it would go down too well up there either.

Israel hasn't bombed the UK in recent years though has it?

But, once upon a time, Israeli terrorists did wage war against the British. Which proves, of course, that there comes a time when we put aside hostilities and work together for a better, peaceful future.

The question is: when will that be universally acknowledged as the way forward for Ireland? Not yet, for some people, obviously. But there are plenty of us who think that the time has come.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Of course SD is allowed his voice, democracy innit? Which is more than the likes of MM offered all the countless victims of his brutal regime.
Good riddance to him..and his like...from both sides of the domain..
Hell just got a lot lot worse...

TNBA

TTF

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The PFA guidelines for social media say amongst other things :
https://www.thepfa.com/players/socialmedia/thingstoremember

Avoid commenting on matters of a sensitive nature whether they be football related or not. Bear in mind anything you say may be published and placed in the public domain and is, as such, open to the possibility of misreporting and misinterpretation.

If you are unsure whether a particular post, comment or message could be considered controversial – don’t post it!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If he's seen at first hand, given his place of birth, the misery and carnage caused by terrorism, then perhaps he considered McGuinness's conversion to the peace process to be a positive. It's not the same as supporting the IRA.

I'm surprised anyone is surprised by his views, considering that he comes from (London)Derry, but chose to play for the ROI. Surely, that tells you something.
As someone else pointed out, the Queen chose to meet McGuinness and shake his hand, despite her cousin, Lord Louis, being murdered by the IRA, decades earlier.

There were lots of wrongs on both sides, but Ulster has come through it, and is a better place now.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
But I totally agree with you here, as long as they are not going to take offence at others berating them for their views.

Depends on what 'berating' looks like I think. Expressing strong disagreement, and providing reasons for such is one thing and I'd agree with you. Personal abuse, threats and wishing injury because you disagree with his views, very different (and a bit pathetic).

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Why do people feel the need to tell everyone their opinion on NSC? Narcissism at its very worse.

Goal! You fell for my trap. But anyway don't you think there's a difference between NSC and Twitter? A major difference? Let's see if you can work it out :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here