Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

After the referendum,should 16yo get the vote ?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Yes,bearing in mind so many youngsters do work,no taxation without representation.
Is it not going to become a legal requirement for full time education till 18 soon?

We seem to take responsibility away (no job, stay at school, most stay at Uni till 21 on a student loan, drive them everywhere at stupid hours), let them come back home and live for a tenner a week, but we think it sensible to give them the vote at 16!

Not sure who is more stupid, parent or child?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
No offence, but I would ban Bensgrandad from voting as he is clearly a liability as he has proven over the years.
Harsh, but fair if he insists on trying to vote via the interweb - his PC clearly won't be able to cope with the complexity.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
OK, strictly speaking you can't but you know what I mean. Vote or you get a fine is anything but democratic.

I lived in Italy for a while, and there was an election while I was there (1987?) People not only had to vote, but they had to do it in the city that they came from. I was in Northern Italy, and it was full of Southern Italians working there - life was relatively tough in the South (still is, if truth be told). There was a mass exodus - everybody travelled to their family home to vote. To say that resentment was tangible is a bit of an understatement.

Making people vote is as bad as denying people the vote.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you discounted narrow voters, most of the population would be discounted.

Perhaps we need to move towards politics that caters for 16 year olds. Statistically, they will have more years than the general voter, so it would be positive to give them a chance to have a say in what they do.

They are also better placed to vote according to educational issues than the regular parent.

Fair points.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
About 300 hundred years ago, 15000 people, all toffs, had the right to vote and justified it on the basis that every one else was too stupid to understand the real issues.

The tens of thousands of brave men that were slaughtered in the trenches of the first world war, had never experienced the ability to vote and were considered too stupid to to understand the real issues. Clever enough to die for the establishment, but not clever enough to have a say in the establishment.

Only after hundreds of years of struggle were working class men able to influence the tory toffs and start pressing for votes for women, sadly, women were considered too stupid to understand the real issues.

When it was proposed that 18 year olds should get the vote, guess what, they were considered too inexperienced to understand the real issues.

It is always the establishment that are against the expansion of suffrage because they deem it as a loss of their ancient inherited power to rule.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
About 300 hundred years ago, 15000 people, all toffs, had the right to vote and justified it on the basis that every one else was too stupid to understand the real issues.

The tens of thousands of brave men that were slaughtered in the trenches of the first world war, had never experienced the ability to vote and were considered too stupid to to understand the real issues. Clever enough to die for the establishment, but not clever enough to have a say in the establishment.

Only after hundreds of years of struggle were working class men able to influence the tory toffs and start pressing for votes for women, sadly, women were considered too stupid to understand the real issues.

When it was proposed that 18 year olds should get the vote, guess what, they were considered too inexperienced to understand the real issues.

It is always the establishment that are against the expansion of suffrage because they deem it as a loss of their ancient inherited power to rule.

Long post, found to be a waste of time in the last paraphrase. (You would not know a paragraph obviously).

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Long post, found to be a waste of time in the last paraphrase. (You would not know a paragraph obviously).

Would you like to comment on the contents of the post rather than appointing yourself as head of the NSC grammar hit squad?

Perhaps you are a perfect example of people who are desperate to prove your superiority over others and thus have the right to select who can vote and who can't?

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
How is forcing people to vote democratic ?
People can vote or they can abstain if they don't wish to you a vote. There's no reason why people shouldn't be compelled to register a vote of some sort. It's compulsory in Australia.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
You're old enough to get your leg over and fight for your country at 16 so I don't see why you should be denied the vote.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Good thread.

Normally I would say no but I don't think this is cut and dried.

When I was 16, in the 6th form, I was borderline Communist. I had a weekend job at the local hospital and whilst I didn't pay tax, I did pay National Insurance.

Move on a couple of years and I got a job in Lloyds Bank and was old enough to have the vote. The first General Election came up and, to my eternal regret, I voted Maggie Thatcher in (I voted against in all subsequent elections). To be fair, The Callaghan labour govt were all over the place.

Anyway, back to topic. I moved from extreme left to extreme right in a couple of years. I am now slightly left of centre, like many I know.

Generally, I think 16 is too young but if He/She is working and paying taxes.... I am not so sure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here