Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

No surprise to see you wading into this exchange with all the subtlety of gleamingly polished jackboot.

Don't you worry yourself about my cognitive abilities sonnenschein, perhaps you could offer an explanation why a UKIP policy which is consistent with what Mutti wants in Germany should be derided over here?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I don't like Corbyn much but you can't let the Tories continue to destroy our country because of personal dislike of Corybn. Vote policies not leaders.

It's not that he's dislikeable even with some very dodgy associations and friendships. He's simply incompetent.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
perhaps you could offer an explanation why a UKIP policy which is consistent with what Mutti wants in Germany should be derided over here?

If someone belives this policy is wrong then it's wrong if it's proposed in Germany, France or the UK. That's why it's being derided. Now that's incredibly simple logic....which brings us back to your cognitive ability.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No surprise to see you wading into this exchange with all the subtlety of gleamingly polished jackboot.

Don't you worry yourself about my cognitive abilities sonnenschein, perhaps you could offer an explanation why a UKIP policy which is consistent with what Mutti wants in Germany should be derided over here?

But if we do want to start banning things can I add boot-cut jeans, wrap-around shades and feather cuts? These are far worse crimes than veils.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
If someone belives this policy is wrong then it's wrong if it's proposed in Germany, France or the UK. That's why it's being derided. Now that's incredibly simple logic....which brings us back to your cognitive ability.

Sure, in politics there's always a minority of zealots on either side of an argument that are so bigoted in their views that they would never accept a rational moderate policy.

Where bans on full face veils have been implemented they have been passed via the respective democratic processes that exist in those countries, the Dutch Parliament for example recently approved a ban.

So, evidently these bans are being passed with the support of those countries electorates, so what is there to deride?

In France the ban was challenged in a case which went up to the European Court of Human Rights and they supported the French Government's case.

So, when Merkel says the full face veil is unacceptable in Germany, the political and legal imperatives indicate she is right to do so, only a dumkopf would think otherwise.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/angela-merkel-burka-niqab-ban_us_5846dcf0e4b08487410ffc9e

The only derision UKIP should get for backing the stance on burkas is that they are seeking to implement a well established long standing European social policy, an interesting step for a party typically seeking to avoid falling in line with European standards.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This German sense of humour of yours probably works much better in Germany..........I would leave it there if I were you?

Go on, crack a smile. It actually feels quite nice.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sure, in politics there's always a minority of zealots on either side of an argument that are so bigoted in their views that they would never accept a rational moderate policy.

Where bans on full face veils have been implemented they have been passed via the respective democratic processes that exist in those countries, the Dutch Parliament for example recently approved a ban.

So, evidently these bans are being passed with the support of those countries electorates, so what is there to deride?

In France the ban was challenged in a case which went up to the European Court of Human Rights and they supported the French Government's case.

So, when Merkel says the full face veil is unacceptable in Germany, the political and legal imperatives indicate she is right to do so, only a dumkopf would think otherwise.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/angela-merkel-burka-niqab-ban_us_5846dcf0e4b08487410ffc9e

The only derision UKIP should get for backing the stance on burkas is that they are seeking to implement a well established long standing European social policy, an interesting step for a party typically seeking to avoid falling in line with European standards.

.....which wasn't my point.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Been observing this thread from a distance, as with achieving promotion I have been in too happy a place to worry about the mixed bunch of shysters that ruin (run) this country in their own self interest!

However, I am curious to know how all those Remainers from the Brexit debate, who were quite clearly Tories will now vote? Do you still vote with "your" party or do you switch sides to a party that doesn't really want to leave Europe and may push for a second referendum based on the result of a General Election?

Just wondering?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Been observing this thread from a distance, as with achieving promotion I have been in too happy a place to worry about the mixed bunch of shysters that ruin (run) this country in their own self interest!

However, I am curious to know how all those Remainers from the Brexit debate, who were quite clearly Tories will now vote? Do you still vote with "your" party or do you switch sides to a party that doesn't really want to leave Europe and may push for a second referendum based on the result of a General Election?

Just wondering?

Hi darkwolf, I am a Tory voter who voted Remain.
I accept the result of the referendum and I think it is ludicrous and quite undemocratic to try and overturn the result.
I shall be voting Tory and given that the 'leaders' of the LibDems and Labour are, quite frankly, very poor, I reckon a substantial number of people who are not considered natural Tories will also vote for the Conservatives, regardless of Brexit.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
.....which wasn't my point.

You stated that the UKIP policy to ban burkas is being derided because some people think it's "wrong"..........ergo Merkel, the ECHR Court, the Govts of Belgium, holland, France, Bulgaria plus regions of Switzerland and Italy must be wrong to enforce one.

If that is not your point what is it?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Hi darkwolf, I am a Tory voter who voted Remain.
I accept the result of the referendum and I think it is ludicrous and quite undemocratic to try and overturn the result.
I shall be voting Tory and given that the 'leaders' of the LibDems and Labour are, quite frankly, very poor, I reckon a substantial number of people who are not considered natural Tories will also vote for the Conservatives, regardless of Brexit.

Sort of as I suspected. People will still vote for the party and not the policy!

I admire your morals on sticking with the original will of the people, but there are plenty from all political persuasions that believe the public got it wrong. Perhaps the General Election could be the second vote so many desired...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sort of as I suspected. People will still vote for the party and not the policy!

I admire your morals on sticking with the original will of the people, but there are plenty from all political persuasions that believe the public got it wrong. Perhaps the General Election could be the second vote so many desired...
Slight correction to your statement: ".....there are plenty of politicians from all political persuasions that believe the public got it wrong." It is an undoubted fact that a large majority of MPs were/are in favour of remain; all those out of touch folks in the 'Westminster Bubble' were shocked and horrified that the electorate dared to go against their[ will.
Not so sure about your conclusion that people will just stick with party, not policy. Some will, of course, and always have - but I am a life-long Labour voter (with occasional tactical variations to try and keep the Tories out) who voted for Brexit (and there's quite a lot of us who did). So, this time round I will - with a heavy heart - be voting Tory (Ouch! - that hurts even typing it!) because I simply don't trust any of the other parties not to try to weasel their way out of leaving the EU - the Lib Dems have even stated it as their policy to defy the democratic vote to leave.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Slight correction to your statement: ".....there are plenty of politicians from all political persuasions that believe the public got it wrong." It is an undoubted fact that a large majority of MPs were/are in favour of remain; all those out of touch folks in the 'Westminster Bubble' were shocked and horrified that the electorate dared to go against their[ will.
Not so sure about your conclusion that people will just stick with party, not policy. Some will, of course, and always have - but I am a life-long Labour voter (with occasional tactical variations to try and keep the Tories out) who voted for Brexit (and there's quite a lot of us who did). So, this time round I will - with a heavy heart - be voting Tory (Ouch! - that hurts even typing it!) because I simply don't trust any of the other parties not to try to weasel their way out of leaving the EU - the Lib Dems have even stated it as their policy to defy the democratic vote to leave.

I believe that makes you a rare beast in this day and age, someone who votes for their morals and not for their party colour!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I believe that makes you a rare beast in this day and age, someone who votes for their morals and not for their party colour!

I think you'll find their are a lot more like me than you think. The importance of protecting the democratic outcome of last summer's referendum is paramount.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
No point voting Lib Dem in Hove, so...err. I quite like Peter Kyle but I can't vote to help Corbyn.
Independent, perhaps.

If the GE is ratified of course.

Corbyn will be gone post-election. Kyle hates him anyway, so vote Kyle?

PG

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here