Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC 2 programme - Hospital

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Wonderful work that they do under incredible pressures and strain on resources. Those Surgeons and Nursing staff continue to work miracles on a daily basis.
Programme tonight a real eye opener with some difficult and emotional cases

Worth catching up on iplayer if you missed it

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
My fear is that the Conservative party are simply running the NHS into the ground to the point that there will be little option but to go to the private sector to plug gaps in capacity. It's a slow creep towards privatisation of our health service and will be the biggest crime of our lifetime.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
My fear is that the Conservative party are simply running the NHS into the ground to the point that there will be little option but to go to the private sector to plug gaps in capacity. It's a slow creep towards privatisation of our health service and will be the biggest crime of our lifetime.
I don't think this government is clever enough to creep towards anything. Cock up not conspiracy.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

for the sake of debate, why would privatised healthcare be a crime? we have very good private health already established, and on the continent too. so what is the objection to private health care, is it a perception that it wouldn't be available to everyone (can be legislated for) or that someone might "profit" (people already do in current model, and you can have not-for-profit, mutually owned groups etc)?

are we going to insist on one model for the sake of principle even if other models might provide better service?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
for the sake of debate, why would privatised healthcare be a crime? we have very good private health already established, and on the continent too. so what is the objection to private health care, is it a perception that it wouldn't be available to everyone (can be legislated for) or that someone might "profit" (people already do in current model, and you can have not-for-profit, mutually owned groups etc)?

are we going to insist on one model for the sake of principle even if other models might provide better service?

I have a congenital heart condition that requires me to have an implanted defibrillator device in my chest. So far, it has saved my life 56 times, and with an eight hour operation,that unfortunately didn't work, so the cost of my condition so far, has been the thick end of a quarter of a million quid.
I am also a type one diabetic, and have been for thirty years now, probably from a virus caught during foreign service in the Royal Navy. If I had to rely on an insurance based health service, I imagine the cost for me personally,would be too big for me to even contemplate.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

believe me private health could not cope, have you been to any A&E just lately, oh sorry it might just if you cherry pick but what about those others

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Worse, the Tory party are forcing the NHS to privatise itself.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I have a congenital heart condition that requires me to have an implanted defibrillator device in my chest. So far, it has saved my life 56 times, and with an eight hour operation,that unfortunately didn't work, so the cost of my condition so far, has been the thick end of a quarter of a million quid.
I am also a type one diabetic, and have been for thirty years now, probably from a virus caught during foreign service in the Royal Navy. If I had to rely on an insurance based health service, I imagine the cost for me personally,would be too big for me to even contemplate.

I can certainly understand your concern, but would a privatised system mean what you fear? I am sure that in Germany you pay your monthly fees into the insurance pot and then take pot luck - some like yourself will cost more and the majority will have nowhere near as much need.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
believe me private health could not cope, have you been to any A&E just lately, oh sorry it might just if you cherry pick but what about those others

You are simply visualising a typical A&E in the UK and then saying private health could not cope, yet my experience over many years with the German health system that it can cope very well, but it may well mean that proportionately we may have to pay more. No one is cherry-picked.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

But isn't this the whole problem with healthcare? Entrenched attitudes that only one system is what we want, and anything else, even though it might work better, must be ideologically opposed. Very few countries have a system such as we do - might it not at the very least be an idea to study how another system might benefit all of us and offer a better service?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I can certainly understand your concern, but would a privatised system mean what you fear? I am sure that in Germany you pay your monthly fees into the insurance pot and then take pot luck - some like yourself will cost more and the majority will have nowhere near as much need.

I would have to have iron clad assurances that such a system would work, to even consider it. You hear so many instances of insurance companies trying to wriggle out of their obligations, and, in fact, have been a victim of it myself, where they refused to re-imburse me for a minor traffic accident,that wasn't my fault, and that was less than a grand. When it comes to tens of thousands of pounds for medical care, I can see nothing but problems.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
You are simply visualising a typical A&E in the UK and then saying private health could not cope, yet my experience over many years with the German health system that it can cope very well, but it may well mean that proportionately we may have to pay more. No one is cherry-picked.

we do not live in Germany
they are saying that by 2020 we will have a similar population to the Germans
and you must be joking the tories will cherry pick the bits they want and **** the rest of us
just like the USA if you cannot afford it you either shut up or die
pity the Big man cannot have another 4 years

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
They seem to cope in France and Canada and other civilised out tries Lawro, nobody is suggesting (or.at.leastmi hope.not) a US style.system but.the plain fact is we.are.lagging behind others countries and perhaps it's. Time to ditch a.dogma based health service in favour of one that works.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
They seem to cope in France and Canada and other civilised out tries Lawro, nobody is suggesting (or.at.leastmi hope.not) a US style.system but.the plain fact is we.are.lagging behind others countries and perhaps it's. Time to ditch a.dogma based health service in favour of one that works.

it used to work and very well and most countries looked up to our national health
did you watch the programme

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here