Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New deals for Calderon and Casper; CMS + others released

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Now having made these decisions early, lets hope that players coming in are completed early as well, and we have a full squad by the start of the season, rather than bringing in players almost on August deadline day.

Hopefully the release of Hughes would indicate that a deal bringing in Halford on a permanent deal has been agreed.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
This list is about players being offered a new contract or not.

It is not about whether Ince, Dunk, O'Grady, Holla etc... are sold or given free transfers.

O'Grady could well be sold on to Sheffield United, or elsewhere 'Up North'.

I personally hope no one else is sold.

By my reckoning we are left with a first team squad of 18, 19 if you include Colunga. If you had two or three transition from the development squad to the first team squad and a couple of season long loans, there wouldn't be much scope for the sort of overhaul many people myself included, believe is necessary. I think we could do with moving a few more out.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Little surprised about Casper but I've heard he's great in the dressing room and he's definitely a sufficient number 3 keeper.

Why is he sufficient for a number 3, when we were down to two fit keepers we went out and got Al Habsi on loan. This extension makes no sense to me at all, why have a keeper who you have no intention of playing on the books?.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why is he sufficient for a number 3, when we were down to two fit keepers we went out and got Al Habsi on loan. This extension makes no sense to me at all, why have a keeper who you have no intention of playing on the books?.

Because you need 3 fit keepers at any one time. Not so long ago, Kuszczak had a poisoned finger returning from Polish duty, and on the day of the match Casper was taken ill, so that left Brezo in goal at Huddersfield, without a keeper on the bench. If he'd got injured or carded, we would have struggled.
Although, I reckon Calde could have gone in goal!!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

We are told that when we got Al Habsi on loan, we only had 1 fit keeper (Walton) - Stockdale and Ankers were injured. The backup would have been the Under 18 keeper. So getting an emergency keeper in was right in those circumstances.

We do need 3 keepers on the books and getting another keeper in as a number 3 is unlikely to happen (who would want the job?). I would imagine Ankers will stay until such time as we can promote another keeper from the DS.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Now having made these decisions early, lets hope that players coming in are completed early as well, and we have a full squad by the start of the season, rather than bringing in players almost on August deadline day.

The decisions are nearly always made early, just rarely announced until season end. As I said above, in the cases of Calde and CMS it's great for the club to have made the announcement ahead of the final home game, and they clearly had to announce all at the same time rather than just the two players most would have a real interest in.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I wonder who CMS will be scoring goals for fun for next season.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
By my reckoning we are left with a first team squad of 18, 19 if you include Colunga. If you had two or three transition from the development squad to the first team squad and a couple of season long loans, there wouldn't be much scope for the sort of overhaul many people myself included, believe is necessary. I think we could do with moving a few more out.

I think only Rea will move up to the senior squad this time, and that leaves 6 new vacancies.

Obviously more if Ince, Dunk, or COG is sold.

The club may be looking at giving Holla a free transfer out, or sending him on a season long loan, meaning one more space in the squad, but other than that I don't anticipate any more new recruits.

We'll get 6 - 10 new players, depending on who is sold, in my opinion

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A relief to see the end of the £7m+ punt (of club/fans money) by Poyet on CMS.

Nice bloke, but has never cut it as a quality Championship striker and certainly not a £2.5m one.

The 14,000 home element of the crowd tomorrow will stand as one to applaud the effort, hair and smile.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
O'Grady to Sheffield United is almost a done deal I'm led to believe.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think only Rea will move up to the senior squad this time, and that leaves 6 new vacancies.

Obviously more if Ince, Dunk, or COG is sold.

The club may be looking at giving Holla a free transfer out, or sending him on a season long loan, meaning one more space in the squad, but other than that I don't anticipate any more new recruits.

You'd have to expect Colunga and O'Grady to go, and there would also be question marks of various sizes over Holla, Crofts and LuaLua. I'd even suggest that both Bruno and Greer are not certain to be retained, given they were not Hughton decisions to give them new deals.

Finally, there's the risk of losing any of Dunk, Ince, March and JFC to more attractive suitors.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Recall CMS banging home a penalty for a good win at Vicarage Road a few years back. Be a fitting farewell to copy that tomorrow, even though some might moan it would not be from open play.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Ballsack and COG spearheading our top six challenge next season. :nono:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You'd have to expect Colunga and O'Grady to go, and there would also be question marks of various sizes over Holla, Crofts and LuaLua. I'd even suggest that both Bruno and Greer are not certain to be retained, given they were not Hughton decisions to give them new deals.

Finally, there's the risk of losing any of Dunk, Ince, March and JFC to more attractive suitors.

That all sounds very reasonable, although I'm not sure how likely Crofts and March are to go given their injury status at present.

Maybe Greer will make a 'sideways move' back to Swindon ? :lolol:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Has the summer window closed already?

Based on recent seasons activities, could well be, and we don't even have Burke to speed things through.

*in case you hadn't noticed I was being sarcastic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here